Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting an oak floor from damp

This was posted elsewhere, by a friend. Any thoughts?

As most of you know I have a geriatric dog. This means he doesn't quite
have the bladder control he once had and sometimes when I get in from
work there's a puddle for me to clean up. Which is not a problem as I
don't have carpets any more and it literally takes a couple of minutes
to wipe it up, spray antibac on the floor and dry it off as thoroughly
as I can.

However, that puddle might have been there a few hours before I get
home, and I've noticed a few cracks appearing in the floor where the
wood has expanded and contracted again. It's only been down a few years
and was expensive as it's solid oak, not laminate, so naturally I want
to save it!

Someone advised I sand the floor and then apply a couple of coats of
boat varnish. However, I really don't want the uber shiny finish that'll
give it as I think it cheapens the look of the wood (sorry to those with
varnished floors).

Anyone know of a product to seal the floor and maintain the silk/semi
matte finish?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/16 09:50, News wrote:

[...]

It really depends what finish has already been applied.

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 09:50:58 UTC+1, News wrote:
[...]

er... varnish with a non-gloss finish?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2016 09:50, News wrote:

[...]

What was it originally sealed with? Teak oil or beeswax polish?
Renewing the original treatment will be the least effort.e

Either may show marks with trace organics and persistent wet. Much worse
problems if there are any iron nails about to react with tannins.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2016 09:50, News wrote:

[...]

I'd be more concerned about the smell of stale dog pee that has soaked
into the wood and settled into the gaps between the planks.

People often make the mistake that 'solid' wood is better than laminate.
Better than plastic laminate maybe, but engineered wooden laminate
flooring is usually far superior to solid wood because it resists
movement caused by the change in humidity over the course of a year.

Wickes sold something called 18 mm thick solid oak flooring back in
2009/10/11 but the packs were full of short bits only 300 or 400 mm long
and the wood was all different species that expanded and contracted
at different rates. The recommended metal clips were impossible to fit
so most people glued the stuff down and together and then some sections
split along the grain during period of low humidity.

Protecting garage floor from salt dripping off car and follow up for earlier question.. benick[_2_] Home Repair 16 September 29th 11 03:00 AM
Damp Floor? Gordon Henderson UK diy 12 August 17th 10 12:33 AM
Protecting a floor from furniture wheels Paul Moore[_2_] UK diy 13 August 7th 09 12:15 AM
Protecting a concrete floor. Ian_m UK diy 7 April 27th 06 01:24 PM
Cleaning/protecting concrete shop floor Nate Perkins Woodworking 6 February 9th 05 05:07 AM