Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

Default Protecting a concrete floor.

I am having a new kitchen fitted, but intend to remove the tiled floor
exposing the concrete base before the new kitchen fitting starts. The tiles
do appear to come away quite cleanly from the floor leaving the concrete
quite flat and untouched.

As the kitchen will need to be used before fitting, during fitting and until
SWMBO decides on a new flooring, can I seal the exposed concrete floor to
stop dust getting throughout the house AND maintain a suitable surface to
take new floor tiles. Would plain old concrete sealer be OK, how about
diluted PVA ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Ian_m" contains these words:

Would plain old concrete sealer be OK, how about
diluted PVA ?

Dilute PVA would be fine - but don't put it on too thick or it may
interfere with tile glue later - though I haven't heard of such
happening.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian_m" contains these words:

Would plain old concrete sealer be OK, how about
diluted PVA ?

Dilute PVA would be fine - but don't put it on too thick or it may
interfere with tile glue later - though I haven't heard of such
happening.

Just been to B&Q and I think PVA will win on price as well ie couple of quid
compared to £20 for concrete sealer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian_m" contains these words:

Would plain old concrete sealer be OK, how about
diluted PVA ?

Dilute PVA would be fine - but don't put it on too thick or it may
interfere with tile glue later - though I haven't heard of such
happening.

Just been to B&Q and I think PVA will win on price as well ie couple of quid
compared to £20 for concrete sealer.

PVA can make a slippery surface and stops tile adhesive sticking, made
that mistake myself. If its only short term you shouldnt need to seal
the crete, or is it disintegrating?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian_m wrote:
I am having a new kitchen fitted, but intend to remove the tiled floor
exposing the concrete base before the new kitchen fitting starts. The tiles
do appear to come away quite cleanly from the floor leaving the concrete
quite flat and untouched.

As the kitchen will need to be used before fitting, during fitting and until
SWMBO decides on a new flooring, can I seal the exposed concrete floor to
stop dust getting throughout the house AND maintain a suitable surface to
take new floor tiles. Would plain old concrete sealer be OK, how about
diluted PVA ?

Yes and yes.

Both are cheaper than concrete paint, which works well for ages.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ian_m wrote:
"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian_m" contains these words:
sniper.

PVA can make a slippery surface and stops tile adhesive sticking, made
that mistake myself. If its only short term you shouldnt need to seal
the crete, or is it disintegrating?

No its not disintegrating, its just that there may be a space of many
weeks/months after the kitchen is fitted before suitable flooring will be
chosen and fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Ian_m" contains these words:

No its not disintegrating, its just that there may be a space of many
weeks/months after the kitchen is fitted before suitable flooring will be
chosen and fitted.

Get some very cheap vinyl. Or perhaps a tenner's worth of hardboard.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message

Get some very cheap vinyl. Or perhaps a tenner's worth of hardboard.

Now thats a good idea.....