Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ZD09 smart watch update

Well, after 8 weeks the strap broke at the mounting point. Not a
problem if you can source a replacement strap, you can't! However in the
best traditions of diy, I looked at the utube videos, and they were
useless. I sourced(Amazon) a new imitation leather 22mm strap and with
the aid of some 1mm brass stock I had on the shelf, I bent up a couple
of wire loops to fit around the mounting points inside the watch and it
is now functional again. The new strap is softer and more
comfortable.The breakage problem is caused by the use of brittle plastic
inserts between the strap and watch. It is compounded by the 1.6mm high
fixing posts, inside the watch, being tilted at 45 degrees to aid
retention. The plastic insert holes have to be moulded with the slope in
them. The blue tooth aerial is mounted inside one of the original
straps and had to have some heatshrink tubing put around it for
protection. Next time I would use a 20mm strap. The design of the
original strap is crap as each side is a different width! Why someone
did not use a traditional strap mounting system I'll never understand. A
classic case of reinventing a square wheel. It seems likely that the
strap mounting design has been changed at least once already to avoid
strap failures. Other than that, the watch is OK, BT notification now
works again after Azus updated(buggered) the phone and I had to
reinstall it. The phonebook works, the camera still can't send pictures
to the phone, but I live in hope of someone finding out how to do it!
The recharge time is about 20 minutes, but the micro usb connector is
mounted 180 degrees out from the rest of the android phones, but the
same as an Amazon Fire. (purchased new for $33!) I bought another watch
as a spare and this has all the same bluetooth characteristics, which I
can live with. I recharge every 2 days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

after 8 weeks the strap broke at the mounting point

I thought you gave it up as 'barely usable' after a few days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

after 8 weeks the strap broke at the mounting point

I thought you gave it up as 'barely usable' after a few days?

No, I think that was one of the Tims. I like it. I can read the
date and time and phone her up from my armchair to tell her it's time to
make my coffee!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Wrote in message:

Andy Burns wrote:

Capitol wrote:

after 8 weeks the strap broke at the mounting point

I thought you gave it up as 'barely usable' after a few days?

No, I think that was one of the Tims. I like it. I can read the
date and time and phone her up from my armchair to tell her it's time to
make my coffee!

I commented to someone wearing one that soon they will be small
enough to wear on your wrist. (He didn't speak to me the rest of
the evening).

I'm old and really need a bigger one than this, so that I can read
the text!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol Wrote in message:

--