Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Constructing a door frame

I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

The old frame however is made from 6x2" timber which seems like overkill.
I suspect this may have been due to the door having been an external door
originally (and hugely wide). It's now an internal door and is "normal"
width.

Will there be any problem using 2x4 timber?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 August 2016 16:39:34 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

The old frame however is made from 6x2" timber which seems like overkill.
I suspect this may have been due to the door having been an external door
originally (and hugely wide). It's now an internal door and is "normal"
width.

Will there be any problem using 2x4 timber?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

No. Just use a few more wall fixings.
Don't forget packings or point up the gap between door and frame and let go hard before hanging the door.
The main factor will be the thickness of the wall it's going into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2016 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

The old frame however is made from 6x2" timber which seems like overkill.
I suspect this may have been due to the door having been an external door
originally (and hugely wide). It's now an internal door and is "normal"
width.

Will there be any problem using 2x4 timber?

Tim

Are you making a door frame (extrnal) or a door lining (internal) ?.
I assume the latter.

Former, difficult without proper woodworking kit, ideally a spindle
moulder or half inch router with bench, assuming you want it to
look OK with nicely bevelled corners and sloping profiles.

Latter. Modern door linings are typically 28 mm thick by 115 mm wide
(for a 3 inch wall) or 135 mm for a four inch wall. Unless they are
pre-rebated a modern door lining is just three bits of timber with the
door stops nailed on afterwards.

It might look nicer if you had a proper door lining in-fitted within the
existing frame and use some mouldings to bridge the gap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 05/08/2016 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

The old frame however is made from 6x2" timber which seems like overkill.
I suspect this may have been due to the door having been an external door
originally (and hugely wide). It's now an internal door and is "normal"
width.

Will there be any problem using 2x4 timber?

Tim

Are you making a door frame (extrnal) or a door lining (internal) ?.
I assume the latter.

I mean the bit twixt door and walls that you screw your hinges in to. This
sort of thing.
https://sunsetsays.files.wordpress.c...or-opening.jpg

Former, difficult without proper woodworking kit, ideally a spindle
moulder or half inch router with bench, assuming you want it to
look OK with nicely bevelled corners and sloping profiles.

The kind of frame I'm thinking of will be mostly hidden by facings and door
stops. No fancy bits needed.

Latter. Modern door linings are typically 28 mm thick by 115 mm wide
(for a 3 inch wall) or 135 mm for a four inch wall. Unless they are
pre-rebated a modern door lining is just three bits of timber with the
door stops nailed on afterwards.

It might look nicer if you had a proper door lining in-fitted within the
existing frame and use some mouldings to bridge the gap.

The existing one is rotten at the bottom and has a redundant window above
the door. It'll be easier to rebuild the whole thing I reckon than arse
around chopping rotten bits out and trying to make good.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

It might look nicer if you had a proper door lining in-fitted within the
existing frame and use some mouldings to bridge the gap.

Last door (and a half) that I fitted, I made the opening with sawn 4x2
which was plenty sturdy enough, and a casing-kit which was ready planed,
rebated and rabbeted from B&Q. Came out mm perfect (perhaps a smidge
too close, it's started to *just* catch in the recent hot weather).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it
looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter.

It might look nicer if you had a proper door lining in-fitted within the
existing frame and use some mouldings to bridge the gap.

Last door (and a half) that I fitted, I made the opening with sawn 4x2
which was plenty sturdy enough, and a casing-kit which was ready planed,
rebated and rabbeted from B&Q. Came out mm perfect (perhaps a smidge
too close, it's started to *just* catch in the recent hot weather).

Sounds tempting. The door we're planning on using is an original (100
yearish) panel door. Dunno whether casing kits will come in the right size.
Will need to get daughter to do some measuring.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile