Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler flue positioning relative to gas meter

Looking into possibly relocating my daughter's boiler to give more options
in the kitchen refit. It's currently fitted very awkwardly in a corner
cupboard that is appalling for access and messes up the wall line for any
sort of sensible kitchen re-fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3jmeyzfa5...iler.jpeg?dl=1

The only other site I can think of puts it relatively close to the outside
meter cabinet. It's a rather scabby lean-to extension and you can just
make out the meter box. I would like to put the boiler on the wall with
the flue exiting above the iron hand-rail (just around the corner from the
meter).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t59u5jdibi...site.jpeg?dl=1

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Looking into possibly relocating my daughter's boiler to give more options
in the kitchen refit. It's currently fitted very awkwardly in a corner
cupboard that is appalling for access and messes up the wall line for any
sort of sensible kitchen re-fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3jmeyzfa5...iler.jpeg?dl=1

The only other site I can think of puts it relatively close to the outside
meter cabinet. It's a rather scabby lean-to extension and you can just
make out the meter box. I would like to put the boiler on the wall with
the flue exiting above the iron hand-rail (just around the corner from the
meter).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t59u5jdibi...site.jpeg?dl=1

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

My W_B installation book had a multi-purpose diagram with all the
minimum distances marked on it. I certainly don't recall any
specifically to do with a meter, just openings, gutters and other
obstructions were shown.

There might be a similar diagram in the building regs although it is a
moot point if the re-siting of an old boiler needs to comply with any
new regs or just the ones that applied when it was installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Looking into possibly relocating my daughter's boiler to give more options
in the kitchen refit. It's currently fitted very awkwardly in a corner
cupboard that is appalling for access and messes up the wall line for any
sort of sensible kitchen re-fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3jmeyzfa5...iler.jpeg?dl=1

The only other site I can think of puts it relatively close to the outside
meter cabinet. It's a rather scabby lean-to extension and you can just
make out the meter box. I would like to put the boiler on the wall with
the flue exiting above the iron hand-rail (just around the corner from the
meter).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t59u5jdibi...site.jpeg?dl=1

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

Can't see any problems here apart from the necessity to reroute the
drain pipe. Looks like a felted roof. Heat problems in summer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

Can't see any problems here apart from the necessity to reroute the
drain pipe.

The flue would exit below the gutter and above the rail and to the left of
the down pipe so no re-routing required.

Looks like a felted roof. Heat problems in summer?

It's north facing. Heat hasn't been a problem inside or are you referring
to problems with the felting?

The whole structure is pretty nasty and of dubious quality. A new roof
wouldn't go amiss but will have to wait for now.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

Can't see any problems here apart from the necessity to reroute the
drain pipe.

The flue would exit below the gutter and above the rail and to the left of
the down pipe so no re-routing required.

Looks like a felted roof. Heat problems in summer?

It's north facing. Heat hasn't been a problem inside or are you referring
to problems with the felting?

The whole structure is pretty nasty and of dubious quality. A new roof
wouldn't go amiss but will have to wait for now.

Tim

The felting may not like local heating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2016 09:43, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Most of the boiler manuals seem to lift the diagrams direct from BS
5440-1 "Installation and maintenance of flues and ventilation for gas
appliances of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net (1st, 2nd and 3rd
family gases) Part 1: Specification for installation and maintenance of
flues". There is no mention of meter cupboards there I can see.

(generally, moving a boiler counts as a new install IIRC)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Only if you tell someone!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/16 10:31, Tim+ wrote:
Capitol wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

Tim

Can't see any problems here apart from the necessity to reroute the
drain pipe.

The flue would exit below the gutter and above the rail and to the left of
the down pipe so no re-routing required.

Looks like a felted roof. Heat problems in summer?

It's north facing. Heat hasn't been a problem inside or are you referring
to problems with the felting?

The whole structure is pretty nasty and of dubious quality. A new roof
wouldn't go amiss but will have to wait for now.

Tim

I installed a balanced flue boiler flue less than a meter away from a
meter cupboard with no probs,. not from building control or anyone.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Indeed.

You may have difficulty getting a GS installer to shift a boiler if its
a non condenser, and the install does not meet the exemptions for
fitting that type of boiler. Other than that, nothing in the way of
regulation that has changed regarding sighting...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm

Other than that, nothing in the way of
regulation that has changed regarding sighting...

Gotcha. So as long as nobody from GS sees it, it's okay? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2016 14:53, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm

Other than that, nothing in the way of
regulation that has changed regarding sighting...

Gotcha. So as long as nobody from GS sees it, it's okay? ;-)

Even if they did, so long as its done right there is not going to be a
problem - there is no need to advertise its not in its original location
or was moved after the efficiency limits were raised.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2016 14:53, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm

Other than that, nothing in the way of
regulation that has changed regarding sighting...

Gotcha. So as long as nobody from GS sees it, it's okay? ;-)

Even if they did, so long as its done right there is not going to be a
problem - there is no need to advertise its not in its original location
or was moved after the efficiency limits were raised.

I was actually just poking fun at your use of "sighting" vs "siting". ;-)

It's probably going to be a bit much for me to be honest. The proposed
boiler position is handy for the gas but a bit of a pain for everything
else. The extension has a solid floor and is below ground level so I really
don't fancy trying to lay pipes under/through it. The only other viable
alternative is to run them along the rather low ceiling or in the "loft
space" of the extension. Basically up from boiler, across ceiling, down
wall on other side to floor level, then through stone wall into the
kitchen. Condensate drainage either needs to go straight outside (with
heating to prevent freezing) which would be easy or a convoluted route to
another internal drain.

All in all, a bit of a pain, but I hate the current position of the boiler.
;-)

Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 07:56:22 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

snip
Is this a problem? Is there a minimum distance twixt flue and meter?

British gas (or their contractor) fitted my external meter box years
after the boiler was installed.
Vertical distance from top of box to bottom of boiler is about 28"
(70cm)
https://flic.kr/p/KvGhK5

PIR and boiler flue Andy Burns[_9_] UK diy 8 October 31st 14 07:52 PM
boiler flue Dave UK diy 5 December 23rd 09 01:18 AM
Boiler Flue staining asalcedo UK diy 0 February 3rd 08 10:40 AM
Building regs re positioning of boiler flu? Duke UK diy 10 May 16th 07 09:52 PM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 10:44 PM