Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler flue

At my local real ale pub, the landlord has had fitted overhead shelters,
with open sides, so the smokers can have somewhere to go to have a ciggy
and it also allows walkers and dog owners to sit outside with their
drinks. However, he has created a problem for himself. The boiler that
supplies the hot water and CH has its flue under the top of the shelter
and as a consequence, the condensation is hitting the shelter and
dripping down on anyone sat underneath. I think someone else mentioned
that anyone sat there would be in contact with the carbon monoxide that
comes out of the flue.

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any problems.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any problems.

It certainly can't simply be 'extended' in the simplistic sense: any
modifications to the flue arrangement need to be carried out using parts
produced by the boiler manufacturer. What's available will depend on
the manufacturer: eg my new Worcester-Bosch has a really funky angled
extension to direct the plume from under an overhang and away from a
facing wall, exactly to where I want it; the old boiler it replaced
(Vaillant) had no such accessories and vented very "inappropriately".

Any modifications should be done by a Gas-Safe registered engineer (if
bodged, there would be plenty of scope for killing off the locals during
a lock-in...)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any
problems.

It certainly can't simply be 'extended' in the simplistic sense: any
modifications to the flue arrangement need to be carried out using parts
produced by the boiler manufacturer. What's available will depend on
the manufacturer: eg my new Worcester-Bosch has a really funky angled
extension to direct the plume from under an overhang and away from a
facing wall, exactly to where I want it; the old boiler it replaced
(Vaillant) had no such accessories and vented very "inappropriately".

Any modifications should be done by a Gas-Safe registered engineer (if
bodged, there would be plenty of scope for killing off the locals during
a lock-in...)

LOL Thanks for that. I'll pass the information on. (I suspect he has a
lock in, or two, but I only drink at lunch time.) :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I think someone else mentioned that anyone sat there would be in contact
with the carbon monoxide that comes out of the flue.

and they are sat in the shelter puffing away on fags containing all manner
of noxious chemicals, a little co2 from a boiler flue should be the last of
their worries

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
At my local real ale pub, the landlord has had fitted overhead
shelters, with open sides, so the smokers can have somewhere to go to
have a ciggy and it also allows walkers and dog owners to sit outside
with their drinks. However, he has created a problem for himself. The
boiler that supplies the hot water and CH has its flue under the top of
the shelter and as a consequence, the condensation is hitting the
shelter and dripping down on anyone sat underneath. I think someone
else mentioned that anyone sat there would be in contact with the
carbon monoxide that comes out of the flue.

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any problems.

If you look in any boiler manual, you will see what is allowed and what
is not

He has a potentially lethal set up now if the flue is under the top of
the shelter, he really needs someone competent to look at the set-up
immediately, and not operate the boiler until it is resolved

Don't forget, if someone dies (unlikely, but possible) he would be up on
a manslaughter charge

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Dave wrote:

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any problems.

It certainly can't simply be 'extended' in the simplistic sense: any
modifications to the flue arrangement need to be carried out using
parts produced by the boiler manufacturer. What's available will
depend on the manufacturer: eg my new Worcester-Bosch has a really
funky angled extension to direct the plume from under an overhang and
away from a facing wall, exactly to where I want it; the old boiler it
replaced (Vaillant) had no such accessories and vented very
"inappropriately".

Any modifications should be done by a Gas-Safe registered engineer (if
bodged, there would be plenty of scope for killing off the locals
during a lock-in...)

But, ... they are smokers

Life is cheap for these sort of people (tm Rocky horror)

--
geoff

Gas boiler/fire flue Kev UK diy 0 October 10th 06 05:44 PM
Redundant boiler flue. sPoNiX UK diy 0 November 17th 05 01:26 PM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 11:44 PM
Why can't I extend my boiler flue? Richard J. UK diy 6 August 23rd 04 10:49 PM