Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs re positioning of boiler flu?

The building regs have something to say about where an flue for a
boiler can be positioned, in relation to windows, etc. Can the
relevant section be found online anywhere?

Actually, I don't want to position it anywhere near a window; I want
it to go straight out through a cavity brick wall, to appear about 8
ft above the public pavement outside. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,

Duke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can the relevant section be found online anywhere?

He

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314683674.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May 2007 07:42:00 -0700, " wrote:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314683674.html

Thanks - but I can't find the relevant section on boiler flue
positioning there. Anyone know which it is?

Thanks.

Duke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duke wrote:
The building regs have something to say about where an flue for a
boiler can be positioned, in relation to windows, etc. Can the
relevant section be found online anywhere?

AFAIK it's not in the building regs as such; this comes under British
Standards which Ed Sirett has kindly (if a little dodgily! :-) ) made
available on his website at http://tinyurl.com/38ubcs (or
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards/BS%205440-1%20-%202000.pdf

It's pretty turgid stuff though - you'd be better off consulting the
user-friendly version which will surely be included with your
installation instructions.

Actually, I don't want to position it anywhere near a window; I want
it to go straight out through a cavity brick wall, to appear about 8
ft above the public pavement outside. Is this acceptable?

Sounds fine in principle to me, but there might be other issues (eg
proximity to a boundary). And where does your pressure relief drain go?
That might be an issue 8' above the pavement!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:37:01 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Duke wrote:
[...]

The installation instructions are the final word on the matter. It is
really important to find out what you may do before you buy the boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:37:01 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Actually, I don't want to position it anywhere near a window; I want
it to go straight out through a cavity brick wall, to appear about 8
ft above the public pavement outside. Is this acceptable?

Sounds fine in principle to me, but there might be other issues (eg
proximity to a boundary). And where does your pressure relief drain go?
That might be an issue 8' above the pavement!

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the pressure relief drain. I
could route that into a nearby bathroom sink waste pipe. Would that
breach any building regs or otherwise pose any problems?

Duke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 18:06:05 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

The installation instructions are the final word on the matter. It is
really important to find out what you may do before you buy the boiler.

Thanks for the sensible advice.

Duke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Actually, I don't want to position it anywhere near a window; I want
it to go straight out through a cavity brick wall, to appear about 8
ft above the public pavement outside. Is this acceptable?

Sounds fine in principle to me, but there might be other issues (eg
proximity to a boundary). And where does your pressure relief drain go?
That might be an issue 8' above the pavement!

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the pressure relief drain. I
could route that into a nearby bathroom sink waste pipe. Would that
breach any building regs or otherwise pose any problems?

Pretty sure that's not allowed - again the installation instructions
should specify. For a start, I think the point of discharge must be
clearly visible, so if a dangerous fault condition develops it doesn't
go undetected.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:25:00 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the pressure relief drain. I
could route that into a nearby bathroom sink waste pipe. Would that
breach any building regs or otherwise pose any problems?

Pretty sure that's not allowed - again the installation instructions
should specify. For a start, I think the point of discharge must be
clearly visible, so if a dangerous fault condition develops it doesn't
go undetected.

David

Seems reasonable. Thanks. I wonder if having the overflow pipe end
above a wash baisin is acceptable...

Duke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the pressure relief drain. I
could route that into a nearby bathroom sink waste pipe. Would that
breach any building regs or otherwise pose any problems?

Pretty sure that's not allowed - again the installation instructions
should specify. For a start, I think the point of discharge must be
clearly visible, so if a dangerous fault condition develops it doesn't
go undetected.

David

Seems reasonable. Thanks. I wonder if having the overflow pipe end
above a wash baisin is acceptable...

Duke

There are 11 services to connect to a combi boiler (9 to a conventional
one).

It is almost never the case that all 11 are just exactly as they need
to be. You have to choose a location that (other things being equal)
minimizes the total cost of installation.

Approx order decreasing awkwardness.

Air intake. Flue.
Flow & Return.
Fuel
Cold In & DHW Out.
Condensate waste
Safety Discharge Pipe.
Electric supply
Heating control signal.

I would have thought the discharge pipe brought down to ground level
outside would have met the rules. A condensate pump ( sub £100) can be
used to solve condensate problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2007 19:56:15 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

There are 11 services to connect to a combi boiler (9 to a conventional
one).

It is almost never the case that all 11 are just exactly as they need
to be. You have to choose a location that (other things being equal)
minimizes the total cost of installation.

Approx order decreasing awkwardness.

Air intake. Flue.
Flow & Return.
Fuel
Cold In & DHW Out.
Condensate waste
Safety Discharge Pipe.
Electric supply
Heating control signal.

I would have thought the discharge pipe brought down to ground level
outside would have met the rules. A condensate pump ( sub £100) can be
used to solve condensate problems.

Thanks for that. A discharge pipe near ground level could be an
option.

Duke

Building Regs on combi boiler flue ler01kjh UK diy 4 January 16th 07 03:45 PM
boiler flu smudger UK diy 0 November 3rd 05 10:36 AM
Building regs and a new boiler Jerry UK diy 1 October 6th 05 06:56 PM
Building regs and boiler in porch Alan Campbell UK diy 3 November 22nd 04 05:08 PM
Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs Mitch UK diy 8 December 7th 03 11:11 AM