Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a mini home data center (cupboard)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:27:19 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:57:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/07/16 11:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:57:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Don't you have a PDP as well?

Yes, but I don't run them all the time (I have three). Not to mention
the three VAXes...

Carpet cleaning fetishist are you? ;-)

That reminds me - I have to repair the George. Pump is seized.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Apart from spuriously signing all your newsgroup messages where there is
zero threat to anyone?

Can Andrew reply to this message?

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
On 30/07/16 10:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
The internal heat generated by a working computer is more than enough to
take it above the dew point.

That would be fine if it was running all the time, but the OP said
it won't be.

should still be OK. disks are sealed.

Nope - they are very specifically not sealed, and have dire warnings
about blocking the vent.

You don't normally get
condensation on the inside of an open (vented) structure, that hasn't
got a moisture source inside it.

Oops, wrong again! Very common in winter, in particular.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew
escribió:

This group used to be useful for DIY advise / discussions , but now
appears to be full of people who care more about how many dashes there
are

They're trying to help you make your posts more palatable, but if you
won't heed good advice, into the killfile you go.

Thanks for nothing guys...

The feeling's mutual.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Oi - I gave you a considered reply

Which he gave about as much attention to as advice about changing his
sig-sep. Wasting your time.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:50:38 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Oi - I gave you a considered reply

Which he gave about as much attention to as advice about changing his
sig-sep. Wasting your time.

The OP's idea about building a small "cupboard" for outside of his house
to "store" a couple of servers in, is just a total folly (and for all the
good reasons offered by the various contributors to this thread) which is
why I never bothered to wade in with my own advice which would
essentially have been a rehashing of all that's been said.

However, what prompts this contribution is the reference to sig
separators which, in this case, is quite clearly the result of his anti(?
) virus software's attempt to not only hijack his news client's sig file
to use as a bill-board but also to deliberately corrupt said sig
separator to maximise distribution via quoted text in replies to his
postings (or emails).

IOW, the blame can be laid squarely on Avast for deliberately breaking
the sig separator. I've seen the same breakage on every such Avast
afflicted posting so it seems extremely improbable to be just a mere
coincidence that the error just happens to *always* be the same 3 dashes
whenever Avast hijacks a sig file.

Still, I'm guessing that even when you point out the real culprit and
suggest the 'offender' takes steps to prevent Avast from "taking the
****", you're just as likely to have this advice ignored, possibly even
being berated for "questioning their manhood". Only rarely have I seen
victims of Avast's **** take actually offer thanks and take action to
stop Avast dead in its tracks in attempting to use their email/news
client as a Bill-Board.

All I can suggest is that if you're ever tempted to 'criticise' a broken
sig sep that's quite clearly the work of the associated Avast Bill-
Boarding exercise, make it quite clear that the problem is primarily due
to Avast rather than any implied suggestion of kack handed end user
'customisation'. You might still get berated for your pains but at least
there'll be no doubt who the real culprit is in this game of malformed sig
separators.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 10:38:49 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
The internal heat generated by a working computer is more than enough to
take it above the dew point.

That would be fine if it was running all the time, but the OP said
it won't be.

Especially if he has a fire or a flood or burglars or a power outage or overheated pentium chips or Avast missed just one little bit. Or if his insurance company organised a bike race today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 July 2016 22:02:59 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Especially if he has a fire or a flood or burglars or a power outage or overheated pentium chips or Avast missed just one little bit. Or if his insurance company organised a bike race today.

Oh. Were you stranded at home today? Or just massively inconvenienced?

John
(Within the route)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 July 2016 15:47:52 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Im looking to build a small outside cupboard (data center) to store a
couple of servers in.
The server and electrical side of things Im fine with. Im just looking
for some tips on the structure its self.
Im thinking of having this building a fair distance from the house
(well as far as I can) so if the worst ever happens (burglary or fire) I
still have my photos/ home videos and other data safely stored. Cloud
storage is not an option due to the large quantity of home videos (in
the Tera bytes), this is from both upload / download speed and cost
perspective.
So for the structure Im thinking of starting with a concrete base, and
a brick outside . The inside having a frame made of stud walling. There
would be a waterproof layer between the studs and the outside bricks.
The inside of the stud walling would be covered in ply, with insulation
between the ply and waterproof material.
For air flow I would add a couple of breather blocks on the bottom
course of the bricks. This would also let out any condensation from the
bricks.
I would also put some vents at the top of the inside structure to allow
heat out, These could be closed in the winter.
The roof would be wood with 2 layers and insulation in between, and a
felt course to make sure it was waterproof.
Not really got any ideas as yet for the door which I would use to access
the servers.
The important part is the inside does not get damp and the temperature
is not allowed to get too cold or hot. I may need to add some fans to
extract heat, but the heat from the servers in this small space should
keep the temperature up.
Any views / improvements / tips / crucial things I have missed?

---

Hi Andrew,

You have had lots of good advice from many people. I know you were after advice on the construction side of things but I thought I would just add my personal experience on running servers outside of the house.

We had a garage attached to the house. There was the usual ventilation through the garage door and the eves of the roof. I placed a dozen loft boards on the rafters (enough to fill just the central part) and put the following devices up the

2 servers (normal desktops re-purposed as servers)
1 firewall (another desktop running Smoothwall)
1 screen
1 keyboard
1 mouse
1 KVM (for switching between the servers/firewall)
1 24 port network switch
1 ADSL router

One of the servers was being used as a file server with 2 HD in a RAID mirror (remember that RAID isnt for backup its for redundancy). Everything was powered on 24x7 (except the screen).

I ran this setup for about 10 years without any significant issues. The network switch failed as did the on board NIC in one if the servers. It may have been caused by the environment or it may have just been one of those things.

Every few years I would take each machine down and give them a blast through with compressed air to clear out the dust and insects.

I did notice a very small amount of surface rust on some the PCI expansion card brackets.

On the days when we had very hot weather (doesnt happen that often) I would shut everything down until things cooled down a bit in the evening. This was more for my own peace of mind. I never actually took a temperature reading, it was just from how hot it felt when I climbed up there.

Its all changed now. We had the garage converted into a study with the back section partitioned into a separate computer room. It still can get warm in there. When we had our summer the other week it reached 35C in the computer room (daughter has a habit of closing all the doors when she is in the study while she is playing on the Xbox).

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:57:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/07/16 11:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:57:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Don't you have a PDP as well?

Yes, but I don't run them all the time (I have three). Not to mention
the three VAXes...

Carpet cleaning fetishist are you? ;-)

That reminds me - I have to repair the George. Pump is seized.

You have a 1900 too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:57:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/07/16 11:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:57:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Don't you have a PDP as well?

Yes, but I don't run them all the time (I have three). Not to mention
the three VAXes...

Carpet cleaning fetishist are you? ;-)

That reminds me - I have to repair the George. Pump is seized.

You have a 1900 too?

No, but I have a stack of 1900 documentation on the other side of the
room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/16 13:09, AlanC wrote:

Its all changed now. We had the garage converted into a study with
the back section partitioned into a separate computer room. It still
can get warm in there. When we had our summer the other week it
reached 35C in the computer room (daughter has a habit of closing all
the doors when she is in the study while she is playing on the
Xbox).

In mine, a workshop, I put kingspan in the rafters and insulated
partition walls with rockwool including building a thick insulated
sliding door that partitions off the rest of the garage.

Nice and cool even when it's barmy ouside.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 10:24:32 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 01/08/16 13:09, AlanC wrote:

Its all changed now. We had the garage converted into a study with
the back section partitioned into a separate computer room. It still
can get warm in there.

In mine, a workshop, I put kingspan in the rafters and insulated
partition walls with rockwool including building a thick insulated
sliding door that partitions off the rest of the garage.

Nice and cool even when it's barmy ouside.

Is that when the residents of a mental hospital are walking past?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2016 22:26, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 21:41:15 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 30/07/2016 17:21, Bob Eager wrote:

That reminds me - I have to repair the George. Pump is seized.

You have a 1900 too?

No, but I have a stack of 1900 documentation on the other side of the
room.

It occurs to me we're probably the only two people here who've ever
heard of George Felton!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/16 22:06, Andrew wrote:

This group used to be useful for DIY advise / discussions , but now
appears to be full of people who care more about how many dashes there
are than trying to help or calling me paranoid.

Your email From address is illegal and your sig is illegal

As is the use of a verb in where a noun should have been used.
Out of every single incorrectly used word ever the one(s) that make(s)
my toes curl is advice/advise mix-up....

:¬O

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , damduck-
escribió:

Is that when the residents of a mental hospital are walking past?

Heh.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 02:01:07 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

On 29/07/16 22:06, Andrew wrote:

This group used to be useful for DIY advise / discussions , but now
appears to be full of people who care more about how many dashes there
are than trying to help or calling me paranoid.

Your email From address is illegal and your sig is illegal

As is the use of a verb in where a noun should have been used.
Out of every single incorrectly used word ever the one(s) that make(s)
my toes curl is advice/advise mix-up....

It's just one of many irritations. To advise is to *give* advice. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/08/16 13:09, AlanC wrote:

Its all changed now. We had the garage converted into a study with
the back section partitioned into a separate computer room. It still
can get warm in there.

In mine, a workshop, I put kingspan in the rafters and insulated
partition walls with rockwool including building a thick insulated
sliding door that partitions off the rest of the garage.

Nice and cool even when it's barmy ouside.

Is that when the residents of a mental hospital are walking past?

I just assumed he meant "balmy" (oh, and also "outside"). :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Why not just buy a fireproof safe for a couple of hundred quid?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 07:18:01 UTC+1, harry wrote:
Why not just buy a fireproof safe for a couple of hundred quid?

Okay for offline storage, but if you want to keep disks spinning you need cables and drilling holes in the fireproof safe compromises the fireprooffulness.

Owain