Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to specify a colour to a printing company

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 21:14:49 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 01/08/2016 19:13, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 17:20:13 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:24:11 +0100, Davidm
wrote:

I'm about to get a thousand or so membership cards printed by a
commercial print shop and want to be able to specify the background
colour to be used. Just emailing a sample template with the colour I
want has proved to be a bit hit and miss in the past, the way a colour
is displayed on my monitor isn't necessarily the way it appears when
they print the cards.

Is there a more definitive way of achieving this (eg. giving an RGB or
CMYK reference, or referencing some standard of a web site), other
than printing off a sample that shows what I want and then posting
that to them?

(they have a template of the card layout and contents - as field
codes, I just supply and Excel file with the data).

Can you not buy colour cards to stick next to your screen so you can
adjust your monitor to be accurate? Every monitor I've seen you can
change brightness, contrast, and R G and B individually, and often other
stuff too.

Another factor is the ambient lighting when looking at cards,
especially in
these days of so many lamp types, and daylight conditions.

I assume you are supposed to use a standard lamp of some kind? Anyway,
even without that I'm sure it would correct the monitor a hell of a lot.

Then there is the unknown spectral reflectivity of the cards.

Errrrr, the people that made them must know that.

The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

--
I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh mango juice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2016 10:32 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Davidm wrote:

http://store.pantone.com/uk/en/graphics.html
Bloody 'ell, they're expensive!
I think just referencing their colour code will be close enough.

But then you're back to how pantone colours look on your monitor v.s.
how the printing company's ink will look on paper

Yes, Andy, that can't be stressed enough.

Print tests with a particular printer will get you somewhere near,
should you be very concerned.

I once did a 4in * 3in advert for a young girl beautician. She was
very satisfied with the overall looks and final print but, the outcome
was so different from the screen 'and' my home print. This in spite of
knowing and using the correct colour set for that issue.

Given all the hardware and software calculations and interpretations,
putting your digital view to an unknown paper and getting the same image
is unlikely.

Though, as in my one case, different was upsetting, it still looked well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors definitely age,
so it may be they are accounting for light shifts in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors definitely age,
so it may be they are accounting for light shifts in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy

Very interesting. One day our walls will do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors definitely age,
so it may be they are accounting for light shifts in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy

Very interesting. One day our walls will do it.

Dulux self calibrating paint.

--
If you consider television dangerous but routinely carry explosives in your clothing, you may be a Muslim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does that mean the dog ****es on it?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a
sensor that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors
definitely age, so it may be they are accounting for light shifts
in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy

Very interesting. One day our walls will do it.

Dulux self calibrating paint.

Does that mean the dog ****es on it?

No, it means the paint electrocutes the offending dog then adds extra pigment to cover up the problem.

--
Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon. 10,000 volts went up its arse, and turned its wool to nylon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors definitely age,
so it may be they are accounting for light shifts in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy

Very interesting. One day our walls will do it.

Dulux self calibrating paint.

Goddam dogs everywhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor
that checks the colour.

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Apparently not. And these are LCD, not plasma. Phosphors definitely age,
so it may be they are accounting for light shifts in the backlight.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/press/rele...ls/cg275w.html

But these guys are designing cameras. They really care.

Andy

Very interesting. One day our walls will do it.

Dulux self calibrating paint.

Goddam dogs everywhere.

And in today's news, genes from the "Dulux dog" accidentally made their way into one of their tins of paint in the Liverpool factory when one of the dogs lost a hair during a guided tour. Mrs Ponsonby Smythe was most disturbed when her freshly painted livingroom burst into life, dogs running amok all over her house.

--
Keith was explaining to his sister how to jump start a car.
"I explained about which cables to hook up where and in what order.