Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brexit has a lot to answer for

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:07:22 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 25/07/2016 10:33, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:54:12 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 25/07/2016 08:35, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 08:00:16 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 24/07/2016 21:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:13:13 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

OT Chris.
Thanks to your help my 7 year old failed flower beds can't be
distinguished
from the lawn.
I put soil and grass seed down and followed your recommendations.
Cheers for that.

Good news. If there's a ridge between the old and new bits of lawn, it
will disappear in a year or two.

As long as he sowed the same type of grass seed. If not, the new grass
will always look different. There are many different strains of
grass seed.

Of course there are, for all sorts of applications. Grass seed mixes
designed for bowling greens, golf greens, tennis courts, cricket
pitches etc will be different to domestic lawn grass mixes. But having
sowed a number of patches of lawn grass over the years, adjacent to
completely unknown original grass, and using whatever general-purpose
grass seed was conveniently available off the shelf in the nearest
shed or garden centre, I can say with confidence that it makes not a
lot of difference to the appearance after a year or so.

Fair enough, but I speak from my experience. About 8 years ago I bought
standard lawn grass seed to fill in a a small patch. You can quite
clearly see the patch today. I'm not fussed though, it's obviously
better than having a bare patch.
Our lawns are brown at the moment and that suits me, I don't have to mow
the lawn so often ? :-)
Grass is amazingly tough stuff, when we get a few days of rain here
it'll soon turn green again.

Moss and dandelions are much tougher than grass :-/

Grass likes to be cut, weeds don't.
If you mow regularly, the weed seeds get cut before they are mature.
Also, leaving grass cuttings on your lawns in the summer helps to prvent
light getting to the weeds and also acts as a fertiliser.

I do the 2nd thing but not the first thing.

--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"

Brexit vs DIY Malcolm Race[_2_] UK diy 10 June 25th 16 02:07 PM
Brexit The Movie harry UK diy 3 February 5th 16 08:53 AM
Brexit [email protected] UK diy 76 September 28th 15 10:41 AM
Brexit [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 26th 15 02:34 PM
OT. EU and Brexit harryagain[_2_] UK diy 5 April 12th 14 04:51 PM