Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old phone chargers

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't
cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of
output do the chargers run at?

Every wall wart I've ever seen has the spec printed on it.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:24:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't
cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of
output do the chargers run at?

Every wall wart I've ever seen has the spec printed on it.

But only any use if you know the rules?

e.g. If something was powered by 2 x AA and therefore typically 3V,
any PSU offering 5V of sufficient current may well cause an
incandescent to burn very bright (for a while) or some LEDs to burn
out (possibly quite quickly, depending how hard they were driven in
the first place).

If the PSU had restricted current it may well light the LEDs for ever
(or till the PSU itself dies) as it's voltage could be sufficiently
depressed to not overrun the LEDs.

A mate of mine has this thing about powering outdoor LEDs from battery
chargers. He seems to think they = power supplies but they generally
don't. Now, if you are 'lucky' an old linear charger is only an
unsmoothed full wave rectified supply but it's often quite a bit
higher than the nominal '12V' of the batteries they are designed to
charge. An incandescent would generally work around the RMS of the
output whereas an unsmoothed / regulated LED may react (badly) to the
peak.

So, he has been (happily) running such outdoor LEDs for over a year so
can't understand why I tell him he's not doing it 'right'. shrug

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is
it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of
batteries.

Not trivial to do that.

if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

You need to reduce the voltage they produce somehow.

With switch mode wall warts so cheap producing any
voltage you like from China, makes no real sense to
fart around spending more to use a spare Nokia charger.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs.
They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned
them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

5V 1A

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:58:53 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

Will the partner be happy with wires.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

often it is. Tell us what their output is, it's printed on it somewhere.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

you tell us!

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

not a lot. Battery, miniature speaker, mic... Maybe fill them with lead & use as a joke?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in the early days some phones had the charging circuit in the phone
others in the charger. My feeling is thus that you first need to find out
what the voltage is coming out of them when feeding a load. Once you know
this and the polarity, you can get some adaptors for the plug to convert it
to whatever you think it may run.

The older ones were mainly old fashioned non switch mode devices and the
newer ones switch mode. Some of the latter ones put out a lot of RF
interference so powering a small radio might not be the best use.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is
it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries.
if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost
very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do
the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 22:05:10 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is
it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of
batteries.

Not trivial to do that.

If I was not ay fait with that condition I wouldn't have needed to ask for advice. I hope that rebuke doesn't make you feel too silly, that is not my intention. But stating the obvious to me isn't tha same as stating it to you apparently.

if so, how do i go about connecting them?

A previous poster suggested that overpowering my lights will cause the damage I wasn to avoid but I was thinking of connecting both strings (I got two for one at B&K or is it B&M?) and may well consider donating another two to the cause if it seems viable.

You need to reduce the voltage they produce somehow.

Or run more lights, in series?

With switch mode wall warts so cheap producing any
voltage you like from China, makes no real sense to
fart around spending more to use a spare Nokia charger.

Since when has curiosity and exploration gone hand in hand with sensible behaviour?
Someone like you should know a lot about that sort of thing.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs.
They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned
them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

5V 1A ?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

I suppose I shall have to get out my reading glasses and see if I can find them. I may have donated them to a bin or charity shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 22:18:19 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:58:53 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abbot connecting them?

Will the partner be happy with wires.

She has a lot more sense than I and cleared me out years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 22:35:29 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

often it is. Tell us what their output is, it's printed on it somewhere.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

you tell us!

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

not a lot. Battery, miniature speaker, mic... Maybe fill them with lead & use as a joke?

I have to admit you got me with that one. What is so funny about that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car. Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before
that. Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

Not saying it never happens. Bet you serviced it, though. ;-)

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car. Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before
that. Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

Not saying it never happens. Bet you serviced it, though. ;-)

Oh, yes. I needed reliability.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

But it depends what "sort of miles they are" ...

Very few are going to do gentle motorway miles only.

I've never needed a set of brakes on any car we've had - top mileage was
43,000, and the pads were only half worn. Whereas when I worked in a
garage, some customers needed pads monthly.

Pretty unusual to have pads last that long. You must be a very gentle
driver.

Also long even drives are much kinder to a car than short in-town
runarounds. Our neighbour only used their car for the 3 miles to work
and back. Needed a new exhaust every year (pre-cat days), and battery
charging every weekend.

It would have made sense to invest in a stainless steel one. The one on my
BMW is original, and 19 years old. Much the same as the aftermarket one
on my old Rover.

And neither of those would end up with a flat battery on a journey of only
3 miles. Even every time.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 13:08 22 Jul 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda
121. She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con
and didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke
down?

She said it never once broke down. Maybe there's some exaggeration
going on there but I couldn't detect any.

My guess is there was. It's a story which does do the rounds, though. But
more usually a taxi or whatever.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

perhaps if the journey was always done during "lighting up time" - it might
happen in the winter - and it was a clapped out battery in the first place.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
And neither of those would end up with a flat battery on a journey of
only 3 miles. Even every time.

perhaps if the journey was always done during "lighting up time" - it
might happen in the winter - and it was a clapped out battery in the
first place.

I worked at Merton for a long time. And at certain times of the year went
to work and came home in the dark. Never had a problem. Exactly 3 miles.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda
121. She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con
and didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke
down?

She said it never once broke down. Maybe there's some exaggeration
going on there but I couldn't detect any.

Maybe she meant she 'never changed any of these things *routinely* but
only when they went wrong'?

I have a mate who hadn't changed the engine oil on his car for over
100,000 miles but it did consume a bit so was done to some degree
constantly albeit only partially so.

Maybe if an engine is clean burning, lightly loaded and not
(therefore) shedding much metal, would a filter not necessarily block
after such a time but just become a finer filter?

I know I have repeatedly serviced some engines and found the oil
looking (smelling and feeling) pretty clean after quite some use and
others where the new oil is very dirty the next day (especially
diesels).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 03:38:07 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 22:35:29 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

often it is. Tell us what their output is, it's printed on it somewhere.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

you tell us!

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

not a lot. Battery, miniature speaker, mic... Maybe fill them with lead & use as a joke?

I have to admit you got me with that one.

I think he was talking about phones but I don't believe you were.

What is so funny about that?

Depending on your sense if humour, possibly 'nothing'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/22/2016 1:28 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

The guy who serviced our PDP-8s in the 1970s did 55,000 pa business
miles. Just think about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 7/22/2016 1:28 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car. Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before
that. Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

The guy who serviced our PDP-8s in the 1970s did 55,000 pa business
miles. Just think about it.

In the weeks I was working out of the office I often drove over 1000 miles.
Highest was just under 1500 miles.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I did the same thing with my 73 Golf. Or more strictly speaking
I did change the oil once, and that car ran fine for 40+ years and
I only stopped using it because the known leaking windscreen
eventually rusted the floor and it would no longer pass our
equivalent of your MOT. It did use some oil, so I decided that
that was enough.

The replacement Getz only had the the initial free oil change
and then when it started to get a bit of engine noise, another
oil and filter change, which fixed that engine noise. Its just
going on 10 years old now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Weatherlawyer wrote

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or
is
it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of
batteries.

Not trivial to do that.

If I was not ay fait with that condition I wouldn't have needed to ask for
advice.

You might have been asking if it was as trivial
as just plugging it in and having it work fine.

I hope that rebuke

It isnt a rebuke.

doesn't make you feel too silly, that is not
my intention. But stating the obvious to me

It isnt stating the obvious to someone
who needs to ask your original question.

isn't tha same as stating it to you apparently.

if so, how do i go about connecting them?

A previous poster suggested that overpowering
my lights will cause the damage I wasn to avoid

Really depends on how the electronics in the lights
is done. If there is some form of regulation so that
the lights do work fine over the range of voltages
that the batterys will produce, including the use of
NiMH batterys which some may use, that may well
handle the higher 5V the charge supplys fine,
particularly if it delivers a constant current to the leds.

but I was thinking of connecting both strings (I got two
for one at B&K or is it B&M?) and may well consider
donating another two to the cause if it seems viable.

It will either work fine if there is some form of
regulator in the light strings or it wont if there isnt.

You need to reduce the voltage they produce somehow.

Or run more lights, in series?

That may or may not work. With two strings in series, that
would see the total expecting 6V and the charge wont supply
that. That would still work fine if the strings have been designed
to work fine with two NiMH AA batterys, but may be not bright
enough if there isnt any regulation at all.

With switch mode wall warts so cheap producing any
voltage you like from China, makes no real sense to
fart around spending more to use a spare Nokia charger.

Since when has curiosity and exploration gone hand in hand with sensible
behaviour? Someone like you should know a lot about that sort of thing.

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs.
They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned
them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

5V 1A

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

I suppose I shall have to get out my reading glasses and see if
I can find them. I may have donated them to a bin or charity shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

Or it didn’t break down and so nothing needed to be changed.

My Golf did even more miles than that and didn’t need any of those changed.

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.

But she didn’t, and neither did I.

Business users can claim for running costs.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Jethro_uk wrote

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

But it depends what "sort of miles they are" ...

Very few are going to do gentle motorway miles only.

Doesn’t need to be only, or gentle either.

I've never needed a set of brakes on any car we've had - top mileage
was 43,000, and the pads were only half worn. Whereas when I worked
in a garage, some customers needed pads monthly.

Pretty unusual to have pads last that long.

I never replaced them on the Golf.

You must be a very gentle driver.

I'm not. Don’t use the brakes a lot tho.

Also long even drives are much kinder to a car than short
in-town runarounds. Our neighbour only used their car for
the 3 miles to work and back. Needed a new exhaust every
year (pre-cat days), and battery charging every weekend.

It would have made sense to invest in a stainless steel one.
The one on my BMW is original, and 19 years old. Much
the same as the aftermarket one on my old Rover.

And neither of those would end up with a flat battery
on a journey of only 3 miles. Even every time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little
Mazda 121. She thought servicing and and oil changes
were a total con and didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

She said it never once broke down. Maybe there's some
exaggeration going on there but I couldn't detect any.

My guess is there was.

Not necessarily, plenty of those cars are very reliable.

It's a story which does do the rounds, though.
But more usually a taxi or whatever.

But that is because, as you said, most private
motorists don’t keep their cars that long.

I did have a few failures, but none
that were due to not servicing the car.

The distributor rotor failure was likely due to me
removing it from the car when away from home for
weeks leaving car at home, to stop it getting stolen.

The alternator regulator failure clearly wasn’t due
to lack of servicing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
pamela wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little
Mazda 121. She thought servicing and and oil changes
were a total con and didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

She said it never once broke down. Maybe there's some
exaggeration going on there but I couldn't detect any.

Maybe she meant she 'never changed any of these
things *routinely* but only when they went wrong'?

But she said it never went wrong. My Golf didn't with
the same amount of use belts etc wise. I did in fact
have spare belts and hoses, but never used them.

Still got them.

I have a mate who hadn't changed the engine oil on his
car for over 100,000 miles but it did consume a bit so was
done to some degree constantly albeit only partially so.

Yeah, I did that myself with the Golf and it worked fine.

Didn't with the Getz tho, that did need an
oil change at 50Km. But doesn't use any oil.

Maybe if an engine is clean burning, lightly loaded and not
(therefore) shedding much metal, would a filter not necessarily
block after such a time but just become a finer filter?

The main reason that the oil allegedly needs
changing is that it isnt as good an oil as it was
originally due to the crap the ends up in it over
time, particularly combustion products.

I know I have repeatedly serviced some engines and found the oil
looking (smelling and feeling) pretty clean after quite some use and
others where the new oil is very dirty the next day (especially diesels).

Yeah, that is the main reason I didn't bother changing it with the Golf,
it looked fine, presumably because it did use some oil. Had it from new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 July 2016 15:24:35 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
And neither of those would end up with a flat battery on a journey of
only 3 miles. Even every time.

perhaps if the journey was always done during "lighting up time" - it
might happen in the winter - and it was a clapped out battery in the
first place.

I worked at Merton for a long time. And at certain times of the year went
to work and came home in the dark. Never had a problem. Exactly 3 miles.

Apparently leds had longer leads in those days.
Or did you plug them in at both ends?
Like trams?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/16 18:40, newshound wrote:
On 7/22/2016 1:28 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from new
until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing the
oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

120,000 miles is a great deal for any private motorist to do in a new
car.
Those who do buy new privately usually change them long before that.
Business users can claim for running costs.

I sold my "bought new" Peugeot 309 at 112,000 miles. It wasn't quite 6
years old. 1000 miles a month was used for commuting.

The guy who serviced our PDP-8s in the 1970s did 55,000 pa business
miles. Just think about it.

It was standrad for company 'repmobiles' to be sold a year on unserviced
ever with 75,000+ miles on te clock

I did many miles just commuting in around 6 months. 140 miles a day, 5
days a week...700 miles a week. add in another 50 at weekends.
26 weeks of that put 20,000 miles on.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

You still haven't told us the basic specs, so it seems pointless to continue with the question.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

Or it didn’t break down and so nothing needed to be changed.

My Golf did even more miles than that and didn’t need any of those
changed.

How can you possibly drive 100,000 miles when you spend 24/7 on your
computer?

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
The distributor rotor failure was likely due to me
removing it from the car when away from home for
weeks leaving car at home, to stop it getting stolen.

Crikey. Even in the most pikey part of the UK a scruffy old Golf like that
would be safe. Even the banger racers want something likely to get round
the track at least once.

--
*By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 09:15:58 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

You still haven't told us the basic specs, so it seems pointless to continue with the question.

I have a variety of stuff including a couple of 12 to 3V regulators. The Nokias are both 3.7V 355mA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 14:25:08 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Saturday, 23 July 2016 09:15:58 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

You still haven't told us the basic specs, so it seems pointless to continue with the question.

I have a variety of stuff including a couple of 12 to 3V regulators. The Nokias are both 3.7V 355mA

The toys are 3v, the charger 3.7v. As long as the toys can live on 355mA or less, I'd cut the plug off the charger and add a diode to drop the output to about 3v. Robert will then be mysteriously related, as long as you don't connect it up wrong.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote
Rod Speed wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a
little Mazda 121. She thought servicing and and
oil changes were a total con and didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I did the same thing with my 73 Golf. Or more strictly speaking
I did change the oil once, and that car ran fine for 40+ years and
I only stopped using it because the known leaking windscreen
eventually rusted the floor and it would no longer pass our
equivalent of your MOT. It did use some oil, so I decided that
that was enough.

40 years. Brilliant! :-)

Although I'm sure you must have changed
the exhaust and brakes in that time.

The exhaust, yes, the brake pads on the front just once.

The replacement Getz only had the the initial free oil change
and then when it started to get a bit of engine noise, another
oil and filter change, which fixed that engine noise. Its just
going on 10 years old now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 19:56:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

You are ten years old?
I thought there was something wrong with your posts but it seems that there head you own is only immature. Who told you that Nokia chargers ran in oil baths?

They must have confused you with a fridge. But how someone on here confused you with a fridge needs some explaining. Maybe it is me that confused you, are you easily confused?

Do fridges purr when full like cats, or is it freezers that like cats?
(I don't remember.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The distributor rotor failure was likely due to me
removing it from the car when away from home for
weeks leaving car at home, to stop it getting stolen.

Crikey. Even in the most pikey part of the
UK a scruffy old Golf like that would be safe.

It wasn’t a scruffy old Golf in back then when
I did that, it was a new Golf. I bought it new.

And you're wrong about the pre immobiliser cars even now.

Even the banger racers want something
likely to get round the track at least once.

It never failed to do that and only got replaced when I was
stupid enough to not fix the known leaking windscreen
until it eventually rusted the floor so that it could no longer
pass our equivalent of your MoT and I couldn’t be arsed
to cut the rust out and replace that patch of the floor.

USB chargers, anyone ? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 58 November 4th 12 07:06 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 7 February 12th 12 12:16 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 6 August 7th 10 11:33 AM
Mobile phone chargers without a phone - hype? [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 July 14th 07 03:13 PM
Power consumption of phone chargers Morse Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 06 01:57 PM