Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old phone chargers

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
pamela wrote

That reminds me of a friend who used to have a little Mazda 121.
She thought servicing and and oil changes were a total con and
didn't need doing.

I don't know how but she wasn't wrong. She ran that car from
new until it had done 120,000 miles without ever once changing
the oil. Or the spark plugs. Or any belts and such things.

I take it the AA just changed things for her each time it broke down?

Or it didn't break down and so nothing needed to be changed.

My Golf did even more miles than that and didn't need any of those
changed.

How can you possibly drive 100,000 miles when you spend 24/7 on your
computer?

I don't. And in those days I drove to and from work at least
once most days and did lots of long distance driving too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Apropos of nothing in particular what sort of output do bicycle hub dynamos generate? Wikipedia indicate 5 watts of work is required for 3 of electrical but what is that in sweat?

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 12:23:08 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of output do the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Apropos of nothing in particular what sort of output do bicycle hub dynamos generate?

Not much. Nothing at junctions.

Wikipedia indicate 5 watts of work is required for 3 of electrical but what is that in sweat?

about 5 watts human output.

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

about this much |----------|

PS it might not be a bad plan to ask questions that actually have a meaningful answer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or
is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of
batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't
cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of
output do the chargers run at?

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Apropos of nothing in particular what sort of output do bicycle hub
dynamos generate? Wikipedia indicate 5 watts of work is required for 3
of electrical but what is that in sweat?

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what
endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

Saw an article on Facebook saying you could power your house all day with
an hour's use of a pedal operated generator.

Of course if that power consisted of a few dim LEDs for a few hours, you
maybe could. Otherwise, sounds like one of harry's posts.

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 04:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

snip

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

Are we back to your 'DIY computer psu chair' thread?

In any system you have input energy, losses and output energy. If you
try to human-power something that is capable of producing loads more
in the way of output power than the human could ever provide then the
chances are the background losses will also be quite high.

A good example of this would be Cedric Lynches electric / solar
outboard motor design.

http://www.eboat.org.uk/images/members/DSCF0540.JPG

http://saiettagroup.com/team/ (Scroll down to Cedric)

He found that if you used a conventional sealed underwater metal
gearbox, with it's oil lubrication and oil retaining seals, the
background losses (drag) would be considerable, compared with the
typical energy available associated with such things.

So, he designed an underwater gearbox that could be lubricated by
(river) water and therefore there was no need for the oil and hence
the 'lossy' seals. ;-)

So, if you want to (human) power something that requires 200 W then
you would probably be better off with a generator good for that and a
bit, rather than something good for 10 kW etc.

A good example of overloading a (human powered) generator is trying to
run 10W lamps on your bicycle dynamo.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can
get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:31:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and fro but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently. I imagine getting up to speed will be the problem as only the middle of the stroke would be doing anything as in a petrol engine. Therefore a flywhel will need to be incorporated.

The latest thinking is that 1hour of exercie is needed to compensate for eight hours sitting down watching youtubes. I have no idea how they work that out. But I could get 9 hours in like that between second breakfasts and quarter to and past elevenses.

Why are you even using Windows let alone windows 95?

Is it because you have the low wattage thought capacity of a tabbyatgmail or are you on Tiny 95?

Come to think of it with a maximum of 2GB=ram capacity and frequent defrags you'd do alright on a PIII or even better on an Athlon with relatively low power consumption.

Well done especially if you are on a Tiny version
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:45:49 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 04:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

snip

[...]

You can sneer but the richest south American country or rather the one with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget balance. I believe this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the oil. Or at least I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more simple.

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a remarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay. Why take the ****?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about
200w per hour.

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can
get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

Absolutely not. It would never do not to give people something to whinge
about.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

200W for how long?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
The sort of accepted power (corrected for Andy) output of a reasonably
fit human is about 200w per hour.

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and
fro but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently.

Then you'll produce considerably less power than a cyclist working hard.

I imagine
getting up to speed will be the problem as only the middle of the stroke
would be doing anything as in a petrol engine. Therefore a flywhel will
need to be incorporated.

The latest thinking is that 1hour of exercie is needed to compensate for
eight hours sitting down watching youtubes. I have no idea how they
work that out. But I could get 9 hours in like that between second
breakfasts and quarter to and past elevenses.

No reason why you can't watch Utube while pedalling hard. People watch
videos in the gym - I'm told.

Why are you even using Windows let alone windows 95?

I'm sure that makes some sense. To you.

Is it because you have the low wattage thought capacity of a
tabbyatgmail or are you on Tiny 95?

Come to think of it with a maximum of 2GB=ram capacity and frequent
defrags you'd do alright on a PIII or even better on an Athlon with
relatively low power consumption.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

The sort of accepted power (corrected for Andy) output of a reasonably
fit human is about 200w per hour.

But not correcting from "watts per hour" to "watt hours"?

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and
fro but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently.

It's not the case that the more body mass you have, the more you can
"utilise it" unless you plan to roll down a hill, or jump off a cliff;
the higher the mass, the more energy you'll need to provide to rock back
and forth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
You can sneer but the richest south American country or rather the one
with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget
balance. I believe this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the
oil. Or at least I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more
simple.

That's because they have set their budget based on high oil prices. And
their income has more than halved. Exactly the same as Saudi.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:51:47 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:31:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and fro but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently. I imagine getting up to speed will be the problem as only the middle of the stroke would be doing anything as in a petrol engine. Therefore a flywhel will need to be incorporated.

You'd barely get a watt.

Is it because you have the low wattage thought capacity of a tabbyatgmail or are you on Tiny 95?

feeble

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 15:03:58 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a remarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay. Why take the ****?

maybe because it's just an idea lacking in the basic sense department.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 07:03:54 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:45:49 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 04:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

snip

[...]

You can sneer

I can?

but the richest south American country or rather the one with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget balance.

Sorry mate. Not sure what that has to do with what we were talking
about?

I believe this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the oil. Or at least I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more simple.

Whoosh .. ;-(

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a remarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay.

It would would it? It seems strange that if you are happy to have
someone work like a donkey, generating tiny amounts of electricity for
a lot of effort (that requires food and water) that you aren't
providing such solutions over there yourself?

Why take the ****?

I don't know, who was?

I can't be me as I was trying to wrap some tangible facts around your
less than logical thought train.

Have you ever designed, built and raced an electric vehicle OOI? Have
you owned and used a Sinclair C5? Do you own an electrically assisted
bike? Have you ever tried to 'upgrade' the wattage of the lamps on
your dynamo powered cycle lights and found it was like cycling though
molasses? Do you own a clockwork radio or a wind-up-torch?

What size solar panel do you take to charge batteries when you go
cycle camping?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can
get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

There was a bit of the TV a while ago took a lot of people around 25 odd
of them pedalling furiously to boil an electric kettle!.

Dunno if its still there but in the science museum there was a hand
cranked genny, took a lot of effort to light a 30 watt light bulb!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You can sneer but the richest south American country or rather the one with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget balance. I believe this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the oil. Or at least I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more simple.

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a remarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay. Why take the ****?

The warmth in the **** would more useful.

For the small amount power such a generator would produce it would be
better for lots of things just to use human input directly, just like
we used to . Using hand powered can openers for the occasional can,
hand whisk for beating some eggs , push along mower for a postage
stamp sized lawn, hand pushed carpet sweeper for the odd crumb on the
floor all used to be normal but some people now would be aghast if
they couldn't used such items without a motor in them either direct
from the mains or via rechargeable batteries.
In a DIY context some people will spend longer getting a cordless
drill out of its case and making sure it has a charge in it than it
would take to pick up a simple hand drill and drill one or two holes
and others who have never used a decent sharp handsaw don't realise
how quick they can be.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can
get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

There was a bit of the TV a while ago took a lot of people around 25 odd
of them pedalling furiously to boil an electric kettle!.

That can't possibly be right. I know because I've been to Whitelees wind
farm visitors centre and in there they have a bicycle wheel that you can
crank by hand.

It spins around jolly easily and lights up oodles of big incandescent
lamps, each about 40W.

I mean, they wouldn't lie to us would they? ;-)

I actually have complained to them on a couple of occasions about the gross
misrepresentation but nothing changes. How are kids supposed to get a feel
for *real* energy conversion if they're being lied to by power generators?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/16 14:46, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about
200w
per hour.

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can
get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

Oh the benighted ignorance. Energy is not watts per hour. AS you point out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/16 15:18, Bill Wright wrote:

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about
200w
per hour.

200W for how long?

about 10 seconds

Bill

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim+
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

Amazing what you can find on Youtube;}.

Not the part that i was referring to but in this clip 78 pedalling to
run an electric shower so assume thats 10 kW

So a 2.5 watt electric kettle a quarter of that so 78 dived by 4 is 19.5
so say 20 persons?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 15:58:55 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a couple of old Nokia phone chargers do they go into the bin or
is it possible to plug them into a toy that operates on a couple of
batteries. if so, how do i go abot connecting them?

I have some led light strings that require two 1.5V AAs. They didn't
cost very much so I wouldn't weep if I burned them out. What sort of
output do the chargers run at?

Most of them are around the 5v mark but there were weird and wonderful
ones with other voltages and an insane number of randomly shaped
connectors in the dim and distant past. Even worse for laptops.

Is there life after death of phones that anyone here has made use of?

Apropos of nothing in particular what sort of output do bicycle hub
dynamos generate? Wikipedia indicate 5 watts of work is required for 3
of electrical but what is that in sweat?

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what
endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

Saw an article on Facebook saying you could power your house all day with
an hour's use of a pedal operated generator.

You could provided that everything is switched off.

Of course if that power consisted of a few dim LEDs for a few hours, you
maybe could. Otherwise, sounds like one of harry's posts.

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w
per hour.

ITYM 200Whr = 0.2kWhr which is a measure of energy.

200W is also about the energy consumption of a human at rest. You can do
about that much work but anything beyond about 100W work output is hard
to sustain for an extended period unless you are an athelete.

We had a static bike connected to a dynamo with a choice of no load, 60W
incandescent or CFL 60W equivalent as a demo. Most people were horrified
at how hard it was to drive the mere 60W lightbulb load. It spent a lot
of time glowing rather dimly when in circuit. A couple of keen cyclists
used to working out on spinners could do it OK but mere mortals were out
of breath before the 2 minutes was up.

It was very instructive to switch to the low energy light bulb. Most
people could power that reasonably well without getting out of breath.

Everyone could do it with no load at all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You can sneer but the richest south American country or rather the one with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget balance. I believe this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the oil. Or at least I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more simple.

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a remarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay. Why take the ****?

The warmth in the **** would more useful.

Quite. ;-)

The thing is, only people who have no real clue will confuse someone
offering real-world-facts with anything else.

When I was regularly driving my electric Moke about you would get the
odd person who came up with the 'unique' idea of 'having a dynamo
running off one of the tyres, charging it up as you drove along' ...
or a paddle wheel connected to a dynamo charging up the battery in
your electric outboard boat. I mean it's nice they tried to think
about such things but a shame that the didn't understand the basics
(including 'perpetual motion'). ;-)

For the small amount power such a generator would produce it would be
better for lots of things just to use human input directly, just like
we used to .

Yup.

Using hand powered can openers for the occasional can,
hand whisk for beating some eggs , push along mower for a postage
stamp sized lawn, hand pushed carpet sweeper for the odd crumb on the
floor all used to be normal but some people now would be aghast if
they couldn't used such items without a motor in them either direct
from the mains or via rechargeable batteries.

;-)

In a DIY context some people will spend longer getting a cordless
drill out of its case and making sure it has a charge in it than it
would take to pick up a simple hand drill and drill one or two holes
and

I was in Dads workshop yesterday and came across the hand driven
version of a 'heavy drill'. I think it had a shoulder rest on the end
like a stock on an assault rifle and was much bigger than yer typical
'hand drill'.

others who have never used a decent sharp handsaw don't realise
how quick they can be.

Absolutely, including hacksaws cutting stuff like stainless steel
bolts.

I salvaged a load of battens from a shed the other day and cut them
all up into shorter lengths for another project for my Mums garden. A
pair of saw horses and a nice sharp fine toothed panel saw had each
cut done in just a few strokes (in fact I had to 'ease off' or I'd
have cut them through too fast). ;-)

A dustpan and brush can still be very useful.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 15:28:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
The sort of accepted power (corrected for Andy) output of a reasonably
fit human is about 200w per hour.

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and
fro but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently.

Then you'll produce considerably less power than a cyclist working hard.

I imagine

The latest thinking is that 1hour of exercie is needed to compensate for
eight hours sitting down watching youtubes. I have no idea how they
work that out. But I could get 9 hours in like that between second
breakfasts and quarter to and past elevenses.

No reason why you can't watch Utube while pedalling hard. People watch
videos in the gym - I'm told.

Why are you even using Windows let alone windows 95?

I'm sure that makes some sense. To you.

I imagine

USB chargers, anyone ? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 58 November 4th 12 07:06 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 7 February 12th 12 12:16 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 6 August 7th 10 11:33 AM
Mobile phone chargers without a phone - hype? [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 July 14th 07 03:13 PM
Power consumption of phone chargers Morse Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 06 01:57 PM