Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aging Fimo

We have a considerable collection of small items made from Fimo - the
plastic clay stuff - things like buttons and badges. They have been
hanging around for perhaps 20 years or more - mostly kept in a glass
jar. Despite that, we really don't want to throw them away - mainly for
sentimental reasons. The problem in keeping them is that they now stink.
A horrible "chemical" smell - not that I can identify what might be in
the olfactory cocktail. Yet they look perfect.

Is there any way of treating them to kill the smell without affecting
their look and feel?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 21:44, polygonum wrote:
We have a considerable collection of small items made from Fimo - the
plastic clay stuff - things like buttons and badges. They have been
hanging around for perhaps 20 years or more - mostly kept in a glass
jar. Despite that, we really don't want to throw them away - mainly for
sentimental reasons. The problem in keeping them is that they now stink.
A horrible "chemical" smell - not that I can identify what might be in
the olfactory cocktail. Yet they look perfect.

Is there any way of treating them to kill the smell without affecting
their look and feel?

Not keeping them in a jar might help ;-)

You could try another hardening / heating process, see if that drives
off any smell. They recommend 110 degrees C for 30 mins on the web site.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 July 2016 10:32:30 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/07/2016 21:44, polygonum wrote:

We have a considerable collection of small items made from Fimo - the

Is there any way of treating them to kill the smell without affecting
their look and feel?

Not keeping them in a jar might help ;-)

You could try another hardening / heating process, see if that drives
off any smell. They recommend 110 degrees C for 30 mins on the web site.

If it's OK to heat, heating is a great way to drive off volatiles. They will all come off at once though

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 21:44, polygonum wrote:
We have a considerable collection of small items made from Fimo - the
plastic clay stuff - things like buttons and badges. They have been
hanging around for perhaps 20 years or more - mostly kept in a glass
jar. Despite that, we really don't want to throw them away - mainly for
sentimental reasons. The problem in keeping them is that they now stink.
A horrible "chemical" smell - not that I can identify what might be in
the olfactory cocktail. Yet they look perfect.

Is there any way of treating them to kill the smell without affecting
their look and feel?

Pop them back into the oven at the original setting temperature.

Mike

On aging Dean Hoffman[_7_] Home Repair 15 December 12th 10 04:45 AM
Aging and Paranoia? Simon C. UK diy 2 October 6th 10 11:10 PM
'Aging' cherry Ron Woodworking 12 October 6th 07 12:45 PM
Using Fimo to make vacuum adapter? [email protected] UK diy 25 May 24th 07 07:00 PM
Using Fimo to make vacuum adapter? adder1969 UK diy 0 May 23rd 07 04:02 PM