Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Fimo to make vacuum adapter?

On May 23, 3:52 pm, wrote:
On 23 May, 15:03, (Peter Ashby) wrote:

wrote:
On 23 May, 14:10, (Peter Ashby) wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
I'm planning to make up an adapter to connect a vacuum cleaner to my
Trend router table. I have a plastic bottle with the base cut off
which goes over the circular port at the back of the fence. The vacuum
nozzle needs to be held and to seal in the over-wide neck of the
bottle.

I'm thinking of using Fimo, the bakeable polymer modelling clay to
make an object that replaces the screw-top of the bottle. This would
be something much more substantial that the nozzle can be held
securely in. Has anyone ever used Fimo or any similar mouldable
material to construct detailed (coarse threaded) parts for jigs and
fixtures?

I would prefer to use something a bit more businesslike than Fimo if
such material exists and someone would be kind enough to tell me what
it is.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Y...leeve-22358.ht

That is what I used to connect my Earlex to my Trend table until I
bought the widebore hose kit that goes on without an adapter. Oh, you
might need a couple of jubilee clips too. A hairdryer was sufficient
heat (advantage of teenage daughters).

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion but unless I'm very much mistaken, this is a
quite expensive alternative to a couple of turns of duct tape. Great
idea for air-tightness but
I'm trying to make something with a more rigid and self-supporting
structure.

You would have a job to bridge that gap with duct tape. And I need to
use the extractor with tools other than the router table so tape is no
good. It was actually pretty good without jubilee clips, it just helped
with all the vibration. Which is why something too rigid is not a good
idea, you will want it to be able to move a bit.

Peter

You have a good point there. :-)
Rigidity is relative I suppose. The sort of rigidity I had in mind
would be just enough to stop the interconnected parts wobbling about
too much.
--
Richard- Hide quoted text -

Cast something out of resin?