Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modifying a soundbar

I have a car radio/ CD player in the kitchen which fits nicely out of
the way underneath a row of wall cupboards with a suitable cut-out in
the trim.

The speakers are on top of the cupboards, quite near the ceiling, which
is fine when things are quiet, but they're a bit far away compared to,
say, the kettle and so need to be turned up more than I'd like.

An answer would be some sort of flat speakers attached to the underside
of the cupboards - say about 2" high.

Then I saw pictures of 'soundbars'. I know nothing of these, but it
looks like some of them would fit nicely and unobtrusively behind the
trim on the underside of the cupboards.

But I don't want the electronics, just the housing with the speakers
directly connected to the car radio. Seems like it should be an easy
mod, but I've never looked inside these things - anyone done this?

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 14:13:22 UTC+1, Syd Rumpo wrote:

[...]

Speakers with minimal box volumes can be expected to have pants bass. If you must save space, use ceiling speakers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/16 14:13, Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

Seems overkill. Surely you can make some shallow MDF cabinets and mount
a pair of car speakers ex a scrapyard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 14:23:34 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Or cut holes in the bottom of the cupboards and mount a pair of 8"
Goodmans in there, using the whole cupboard as a resonator box? That
will get the kitchen moving!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 14:21, wrote:
[...]

It's not so much about the space as moving the sound source closer to
the ears, although I wouldn't want conventional speakers in the way on
the worktop. Bass isn't the issue - it's the kitchen and there's good
old fashioned Hi-Fi in a couple of other rooms.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
I have a car radio/ CD player in the kitchen which fits nicely out of
the way underneath a row of wall cupboards with a suitable cut-out in
the trim.

The speakers are on top of the cupboards, quite near the ceiling, which
is fine when things are quiet, but they're a bit far away compared to,
say, the kettle and so need to be turned up more than I'd like.

An answer would be some sort of flat speakers attached to the underside
of the cupboards - say about 2" high.

Then I saw pictures of 'soundbars'. I know nothing of these, but it
looks like some of them would fit nicely and unobtrusively behind the
trim on the underside of the cupboards.

But I don't want the electronics, just the housing with the speakers
directly connected to the car radio. Seems like it should be an easy
mod, but I've never looked inside these things - anyone done this?

Sound bars generally ain't just speakers. They have active electronics
driving them. As well as being a power amp will tailor the response for
the small speakers. And usually have a separate bass unit too. Often
Toslink input only - so a PITA to connect to a car radio.

I'd say your best bet would be to buy a radio designed for under cupboard
mounting in a kitchen, etc.

If you really want to DIY, the best place for the speakers would be in the
ceiling.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/16 14:13, Syd Rumpo wrote:
I have a car radio/ CD player in the kitchen which fits nicely out of
the way underneath a row of wall cupboards with a suitable cut-out in
the trim.

The speakers are on top of the cupboards, quite near the ceiling, which
is fine when things are quiet, but they're a bit far away compared to,
say, the kettle and so need to be turned up more than I'd like.

An answer would be some sort of flat speakers attached to the underside
of the cupboards - say about 2" high.

Then I saw pictures of 'soundbars'. I know nothing of these, but it
looks like some of them would fit nicely and unobtrusively behind the
trim on the underside of the cupboards.

I'd say yes, ideal and cheap if you are not worried not having ultimate
HiFi quality in the kitchen. Further more, some of these things have
bluetooth so you can link it to audio playback from your phone, or maybe
the TV in the other room so you can hear the match?

Your car radio should hopefully have a low level output, that normally
used for an external boot amplifier.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually that depends on whether they are ported or not. also some long
throw speakers are made for infinite baffle small enclosures and sound
surprisingly nice. Sound bars, well, depends, I don't like the sound from
the cheap ones myself, too plasticy.
Has this person thought of something like the Kings Audio Sovereign usb
stick player?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 July 2016 12:50:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 14:13:22 UTC+1, Syd Rumpo wrote:

An answer would be some sort of flat speakers attached to the underside
of the cupboards - say about 2" high.

Speakers with minimal box volumes can be expected to have pants bass. If
you must save space, use ceiling speakers.

Actually that depends on whether they are ported or not.

it doesn't, the space the OP is talking about is far too small to get a good result even with a ported cabinet.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 14:27:45 +0100, Davey wrote:

Seems overkill. Surely you can make some shallow MDF cabinets and
mount a pair of car speakers ex a scrapyard?

Or cut holes in the bottom of the cupboards and mount a pair of 8"
Goodmans in there, using the whole cupboard as a resonator box? That
will get the kitchen moving!

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/12/2016 2:13 PM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

Not actually answering the question, but this is what I sometimes use in
the kitchen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to play stuff on, or streamed from, a tablet, phone, or laptop. I'm
pretty sure it has a direct "line input" connection as well. Batteries
recharge via a micro usb port so no special power supply needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

this is what I sometimes use in the kitchen
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to play stuff on, or streamed from, a tablet, phone, or laptop

Yep, I used to have a tinny old transistor radio in the kitchen, but
recently bought a VaVa bluetooth speaker, quite weighty, not claiming
it's an actual hifi replacement but certainly impressive bass and volume
for a small device.

My nexus7 tablet had become too sluggish for general usage, but is happy
to run iPlayer radio and google play music, weather and news "ticker"
widgets for good measure. I plug a chromecast audio into the speaker
(both USB power and audio in) so wifi gives better range than bluetooth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2016 10:56, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

this is what I sometimes use in the kitchen
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to play stuff on, or streamed from, a tablet, phone, or laptop

Yep, I used to have a tinny old transistor radio in the kitchen, but
recently bought a VaVa bluetooth speaker, quite weighty, not claiming
it's an actual hifi replacement but certainly impressive bass and volume
for a small device.

I've one of these:

http://www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk/au...ker-green.html

Very impressive, considering the size - better sound than any flatscreen
TV I've heard.

But don't you mind faffing about with tablets/phones just to listen to
the radio or some music?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I've one of these:
http://www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk/au...ker-green.html

Didn't come across that one in my search of bluetooth/wifi speakers
and/or DAB radios.

But don't you mind faffing about with tablets/phones just to listen to
the radio or some music?

Not really, I've dedicated my old Nexus7 tablet to the purpose (it had
become too slow and clunky for general use). It sits on the breakfast
bar in its docking stand, it's always charged, just goes to sleep and
becomes a big clock, one touch wakes it up, then I've got a bunch of
widgets per radio station on the home screen, so another touch selects
the station.

Other widgets for music, news, weather and volume, so I don't use
android apps as such, just a block of widgets, like a touch screen
radio/mp3 player. If I'm at home all day, I leave it streaming away to
itself like I would leave a normal radio on ... bandwidth? schmandwidth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Not really, I've dedicated my old Nexus7 tablet to the purpose (it had
become too slow and clunky for general use). It sits on the breakfast
bar in its docking stand, it's always charged, just goes to sleep and
becomes a big clock, one touch wakes it up, then I've got a bunch of
widgets per radio station on the home screen, so another touch selects
the station.

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Andy Burns wrote

Not really, I've dedicated my old Nexus7 tablet to the purpose
(it had become too slow and clunky for general use). It sits on
the breakfast bar in its docking stand, it's always charged, just
goes to sleep and becomes a big clock, one touch wakes it up,
then I've got a bunch of widgets per radio station on the home
screen, so another touch selects the station.

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the marmalade.

I listen to the same stuff when out walking for
exercise and other boring situations like clearing
sale auctions too and longer distance car trips.

I personally do it using the latest smartphone
which automatically downloads the latest
podcasts that I have told it I am interested
in so all I have to do is select the particular
one I want to listen to etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

Useless when you want to listen to the podcasts out
of the house and in various places around the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the
marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

Useless when you want to listen to the podcasts out
of the house and in various places around the house.

Right. So you'll be boiling your relish while out and about too?

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

Useless when you want to listen to the podcasts out
of the house and in various places around the house.

Right. So you'll be boiling your relish while out and about too?

Says he after carefully deleting from the quoting the
other situations where I listen to those podcasts, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the
marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

Useless when you want to listen to the podcasts out of the house and
in various places around the house.

Right. So you'll be boiling your relish while out and about too?

Says he after carefully deleting from the quoting the
other situations where I listen to those podcasts, ****wit.

Sorry - forgot you were so poor you could only afford one device.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Can I ask what you and yours usually listen to in the kitchen? ;-)

In my case it's podcasts from our equivalent of the BBC when doing
boring stuff like boiling the relish for an hour etc or the
marmalade.

In the UK, easier to use a smart TV for this.

Useless when you want to listen to the podcasts out
of the house and in various places around the house.

Right. So you'll be boiling your relish while out and about too?

Says he after carefully deleting from the quoting the
other situations where I listen to those podcasts, ****wit.

Sorry - forgot you were so poor you could only afford one device.

Nothing to do with what it costs, everything to do with
being much more convenient to use the one device for
playing podcasts where ever you choose to listen to them.

And even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have
noticed that high end smartphones cost a lot more than a TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Sorry - forgot you were so poor you could only afford one device.

Nothing to do with what it costs, everything to do with
being much more convenient to use the one device for
playing podcasts where ever you choose to listen to them.

And even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have
noticed that high end smartphones cost a lot more than a TV.

And even a terminal ****wit like you would know a smart phone is no use as
a TV. Whereas a smart TV can also double up an audio only device. Fed
through a decent amp and speakers. Which as it happens is exactly what
I've got in the kitchen.

But I do realise installing that sort of thing completely beyond you.
Hence having to use some crappy phone.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Sorry - forgot you were so poor you could only afford one device.

Nothing to do with what it costs, everything to do with
being much more convenient to use the one device for
playing podcasts where ever you choose to listen to them.

And even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have
noticed that high end smartphones cost a lot more than a TV.

And even a terminal ****wit like you would
know a smart phone is no use as a TV.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have noticed
that we were discussing podcasts, not TV programs.

Whereas a smart TV can also double up an audio only device.

I'm not so poor that I care. I much prefer to use the one device
to play podcasts wherever I happen to want listen to a podcast
and have enough of a clue to have the smartphone automatically
download all the podcasts that I like to listen to so when I want
to listen to something, I just select the one I want to listen to.

Fed through a decent amp and speakers.

Don’t need anything like that with podcasts.

Which as it happens is exactly what I've got in the kitchen.

I don’t watch any TV when in the kitchen.

But I do realise installing that sort of thing completely beyond you.

I do in fact have just that where I choose to watch
TV programs and have a much more sophisticated
system than any smart TV can ever be too.

Hence having to use some crappy phone.

Your TV is completely useless when not in the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 00:29:14 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

And even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have
noticed that high end smartphones cost a lot more than a TV.

And even a terminal ****wit like you would know a smart phone is no use as
a TV.

Once a month he does know something. The rest of the time forget it. If he picked his viewpoints randomly he'd do better - the genius of stupidity is weird.

NT

Connecting soundbar to new TV David Lang UK diy 42 September 14th 15 09:45 PM
Modifying a saw blade gilli UK diy 2 September 9th 09 08:51 PM
Modifying a Sodastream Calvin UK diy 24 October 8th 08 11:07 AM
Modifying Christmas L barry martin Home Repair 0 December 21st 03 01:37 PM