Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting soundbar to new TV

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the
yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 15:03, Bob Minchin wrote:
David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the
yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video

It only says they are AV connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 15:04, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

No HDMI connectors?

Not on the soundbar, that only has the red/white thingys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 12/09/2015 14:30, David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Might be audio/composite IN like for an old camcorder or game console.

Does said TV have a Scart socket? Not many new ones do any more, but if
has then that might work (depending on how the TV has it configured) -
scart to phono adapter has to be wired for audio OUT from the tv though.

Failing that and assuming you don't want to replace the soundbar, there
are hdmi to phono adapters....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in news:mt1b7f
:

David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the
yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video

Do you have to select the sound output to go to the external socket rather
than the built in speakers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:30:30 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Does it have a toslink optical input? These are very common on
soundbars, and are often covered by a black or grey cover which make
them hard to spot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yellow is composite video; you can ignore it. The convention for audio is
that red carries the right hand channel and white the left. If a
straightforward red-red, white-white connection isn't working, the problem
is in your settings, not your hardware. Check both the TV and the soundbar
setup guides. When the soundbar is connected, does the TV sound still come
out of the set's internal speakers?

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 16:35, Bert Coules wrote:
Yellow is composite video; you can ignore it. The convention for audio
is that red carries the right hand channel and white the left. If a
straightforward red-red, white-white connection isn't working, the
problem is in your settings, not your hardware. Check both the TV and
the soundbar setup guides. When the soundbar is connected, does the TV
sound still come out of the set's internal speakers?

Seems to me that he's trying to connect input-input. The composite panel
is to take video and audio in, not out.

Either TV headphone-out - soundbar-in, or better still, as Caeclius
suggests, seek out the TV optical.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the
yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video

Do you have to select the sound output to go to the external socket rather
than the built in speakers?

Doesn't seem to be an option on the 'sound' menu to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 15:41, Lee wrote:
On 12/09/2015 14:30, David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Might be audio/composite IN like for an old camcorder or game console.

Does said TV have a Scart socket? Not many new ones do any more, but if
has then that might work (depending on how the TV has it configured) -
scart to phono adapter has to be wired for audio OUT from the tv though.

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Failing that and assuming you don't want to replace the soundbar, there
are hdmi to phono adapters....

I'll have a look. Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 16:35, Bert Coules wrote:
Yellow is composite video; you can ignore it. The convention for audio
is that red carries the right hand channel and white the left. If a
straightforward red-red, white-white connection isn't working, the
problem is in your settings, not your hardware. Check both the TV and
the soundbar setup guides. When the soundbar is connected, does the TV
sound still come out of the set's internal speakers?

Yes, as it did previously.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:
On 12/09/2015 15:41, Lee wrote:
On 12/09/2015 14:30, David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Might be audio/composite IN like for an old camcorder or game console.

Does said TV have a Scart socket? Not many new ones do any more, but if
has then that might work (depending on how the TV has it configured) -
scart to phono adapter has to be wired for audio OUT from the tv though.

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles and
stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 07:48, News wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles
and stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.

Have you connected something else to the sound bar to make sure it is
working? like a radio or something using the sockets on the sound bar
you are trying to use for the TV sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 00:27, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

On 12/09/2015 15:04, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

No HDMI connectors?

Not on the soundbar, that only has the red/white thingys.

Have you setup the tv to use external speakers?

There doesn't seem to be that option on the menu.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

If not - use the SCART and an adaptor. Make sure it is configured for
output and not input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make and model of TV?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
On 13/09/2015 00:27, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

On 12/09/2015 15:04, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

No HDMI connectors?

Not on the soundbar, that only has the red/white thingys.

Have you setup the tv to use external speakers?

There doesn't seem to be that option on the menu.

On the off-chance this isn't a wind-up.

Download or view the PDF of the manual for the TV, off of the
web - always far easier than faffing around with the paper
version

Starting at the top do a search for "external" which should
throw up a succession of matches one of which should eventually
be for sound sources, maybe even "speaker select". Follow what it
says on there.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message ...

"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Needs to get a man in to sort it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 6,
DerbyBorn writes
Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

If not - use the SCART and an adaptor. Make sure it is configured for
output and not input.

See my earlier comment. The widget I referenced is switchable (in/out)
and, at the price, is well worth trying.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of these fangled bits seem to interconnect using fibre optic cables
witch suggests its digital. The analogue sockets may now be replaced by a
3.5 jack socket which doubles as headphones on the tv.
The problem to me is that standards seem to be there to be busted and
modified as people see fit. The grotty headphone jack on a set top p box
needs cleaning every week to stop one or both channels going intermittent.
Heap of rubbish.
Brian

Email:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
David Lang wrote:
Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the
yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder if the yellow thingy is one of those awful multi connection jack
plugs. I've had a few tussles with those before. Are you reading this
Creative labs?

They often have three channels and an earth, as you surmise, but often need
to be really hard inserted or the wrong bits go to the bands on the plug.
How much extra would it have cost to just chuck three phono sockets on the
back one wonders.

Brian

Email:

"Jonno" wrote in message
David Lang scribbled

On 12/09/2015 15:04, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has
single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

No HDMI connectors?

Not on the soundbar, that only has the red/white thingys.

Have you setup the tv to use external speakers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:50:05 +0100, News wrote:

Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

That I think is TMH's problem the yellow/red/white phonos on the TV
are an input to the TV not an output. Though there is normally a clue
given by the use of the words "IN" or "OUT" in the labeling. Less
obvious is a box with an arrow pointing in for an input, and out for
an output, this maybe just moulded into the case.

If not - use the SCART and an adaptor. Make sure it is configured

for
output and not input.

See my earlier comment. The widget I referenced is switchable (in/out)
and, at the price, is well worth trying.

Switchable SCART lead won't help if the SCART socket is configured as
an input or can only be an input.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/15 09:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Make and model of TV?

Is it facing south or east?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 09:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Make and model of TV?

Polaroid Series 5
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
On 13/09/2015 09:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Make and model of TV?

Polaroid Series 5

Precise model (not to say size!) matters.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

That I think is TMH's problem the yellow/red/white phonos on the TV
are an input to the TV not an output. Though there is normally a clue
given by the use of the words "IN" or "OUT" in the labeling. Less
obvious is a box with an arrow pointing in for an input, and out for
an output, this maybe just moulded into the case.

Yes. Likely a games input.

Plenty of modern TVs have no obvious analogue output at all - other than
perhaps a headphone one. But often do have a Toslink.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

Whats a toslink?

Digital audio, usually over a low-end fibre optic connector, but can
also use an RCA/phone connector (like your red/white ones)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/15 16:37, David Lang wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

That I think is TMH's problem the yellow/red/white phonos on the TV
are an input to the TV not an output. Though there is normally a clue
given by the use of the words "IN" or "OUT" in the labeling. Less
obvious is a box with an arrow pointing in for an input, and out for
an output, this maybe just moulded into the case.

Yes. Likely a games input.

Plenty of modern TVs have no obvious analogue output at all - other than
perhaps a headphone one. But often do have a Toslink.

Whats a toslink?

Unnecessary?

A sound bar, presumingly bought near the same price point as the
television, is nothing more than two speakers and a bassy woofer in the
same box. Not Dolby surround multi-channel fancy wossits.

Just sling a pound-shop 3.5mm to stereo phono cable from the TV's
headphone socket to the sound bar.

If we had a model number (or both items), we could perhaps find other
places a cable could be fitted, but probably it won't make much difference.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 08:17, Gary wrote:
On 13/09/2015 07:48, News wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles
and stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.

Have you connected something else to the sound bar to make sure it is
working? like a radio or something using the sockets on the sound bar
you are trying to use for the TV sound.

It worked on the TV before, if previous posts are anything to go by.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonno wrote in :

David Lang scribbled

On 13/09/2015 09:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Make and model of TV?

Polaroid Series 5

If you will buy from ASDA...

I once overhead an old guy saying, "these will be good because Polaroid
made good(!) cameras"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 19:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/09/2015 08:17, Gary wrote:
On 13/09/2015 07:48, News wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles
and stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.

Have you connected something else to the sound bar to make sure it is
working? like a radio or something using the sockets on the sound bar
you are trying to use for the TV sound.

It worked on the TV before, if previous posts are anything to go by.

It did indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 21:48, David Lang wrote:
On 13/09/2015 19:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/09/2015 08:17, Gary wrote:
On 13/09/2015 07:48, News wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles
and stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would
try.
Have you connected something else to the sound bar to make sure it is
working? like a radio or something using the sockets on the sound bar
you are trying to use for the TV sound.

It worked on the TV before, if previous posts are anything to go by.

It did indeed.

Chances are the audio connection you have been playing with is designed
to operate only as an input e.g. for hooking up a video camera to
playback through the TV.

Trying for an audio out from the scart would be the next option.
Headphone jack the one after. If all those fail (and there is no digital
audio out), the use a set top box instead of the TVs tuner and take
sound from that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thanks to all

Bought a Skart to AV switchable adaptor and connected to TV - nothing.

Plugged into skart socket on Virgin Media box and Hey Presto!

It now works!

SWMBO happy!

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2015 07:48, News wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/09/2015 17:28, David Lang wrote:

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles and
stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out
converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.

Or even ebay 231249568559
For a switchable SCART to phono pass-through connector.

Connecting TV Corporal Jones[_2_] UK diy 11 August 5th 13 03:32 PM
connecting up gas hob sm_jamieson UK diy 15 July 24th 12 01:20 PM
Connecting PVC to EMT MiamiCuse Home Repair 8 February 10th 09 07:49 PM
Connecting PVC to pex jack Home Repair 0 December 21st 04 03:27 PM
Connecting my TS kens Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 12:55 AM