Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IT Upgrade & stuff

First off, I've nearly come to the end of my 305m drum of Cat5e and have
more to run for IP cameras etc. Any particular cables to be avoided?

Likewise with a rack/cabinet and patch panel to help tidy up the mass of
spaghetti in the loft.

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I've nearly come to the end of my 305m drum of Cat5e and have
more to run for IP cameras etc. Any particular cables to be avoided?

CCA/CCS ones

Likewise with a rack/cabinet and patch panel to help tidy up the mass of
spaghetti in the loft.

If you don't have any big kit to fit into the rack, there are some
shallow (200-300mm) depth cabinets available, in various U heights e.g.

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/5-19-inch-rack-cabinets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 13:54, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I've nearly come to the end of my 305m drum of Cat5e and have
more to run for IP cameras etc. Any particular cables to be avoided?

CCA/CCS ones

Likewise with a rack/cabinet and patch panel to help tidy up the mass of
spaghetti in the loft.

If you don't have any big kit to fit into the rack, there are some
shallow (200-300mm) depth cabinets available, in various U heights e.g.

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/5-19-inch-rack-cabinets

Thanks Andy. It's just something like a 48 port patch panel, a network
switch or 2, TV distribution box and some other odd bits. Space isn't an
issue so I'm thinking a full depth unit might be better for air flow.
Possibly ducting an intake from the office below to blow out into the
loft space to reduce dust, spiders and effect of high ambient loft temp.

CCA No problem there. CCS is also a brand name it seems. Perhaps not
the best brand name for Ethernet cable.

Oh. also... My Old R.S. RJ45 crimping tool seems to have died as it
won't push down pin 8 any more.
Any suggestions on a decent one?

Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
escribió:

CCA No problem there

just in case: CCA is copper coated aluminium

. CCS is also a brand name it seems.

and CCS is copper coated steel.

Perhaps not
the best brand name for Ethernet cable.

indeed. You want 100% solid copper cable

Oh. also... My Old R.S. RJ45 crimping tool seems to have died as it
won't push down pin 8 any more.
Any suggestions on a decent one?

Try kenable.co.uk. I've been very happy with the stuff I've bought from
them

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...oducts_id=3253

is what you want, though it seems suspiciously cheap.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

My Old R.S. RJ45 crimping tool seems to have died as it
won't push down pin 8 any more.
Any suggestions on a decent one?

If you're doing it properly with central patch panel and data points on
faceplates, surely you don't need a crimper for the plugs, just a
"krone" punchdown tool? Ethernet patch cables are dirt cheap these days,
why make your own?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 18:10, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

My Old R.S. RJ45 crimping tool seems to have died as it
won't push down pin 8 any more.
Any suggestions on a decent one?

If you're doing it properly with central patch panel and data points on
faceplates, surely you don't need a crimper for the plugs, just a
"krone" punchdown tool? Ethernet patch cables are dirt cheap these days,
why make your own?

Currently everything just plugs into the switch. I'm just about to
purchase of of these:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...oducts_id=2301
So I'll be doing it properly and may well not need to bother about the
crimper although I still make up occasional leads the right length.

Plus I'm guessing most IP CCTV cameras need an RJ45 plug although I
suppose they could have a local wall outlet too rather than plugging
straight into the camera..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 17:17, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Try kenable.co.uk. I've been very happy with the stuff I've bought from
them

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...oducts_id=3253

is what you want, though it seems suspiciously cheap.

Thanks Mike, Just filling my basket up with everything I need at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Ethernet patch cables are dirt cheap these days,
why make your own?

1) you can make then to precise lengths (helps in patch panels so you
don't have to 'hide' excess cable when using pre-made)

2) it's incredibly satisfying making your own. (OK, it's just me,
then.)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 19:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Ethernet patch cables are dirt cheap these days,
why make your own?

1) you can make then to precise lengths (helps in patch panels so you
don't have to 'hide' excess cable when using pre-made)

That's what wiring combs are for ;-)

(and being realistic, if you buy patch leads in 20, 30, 50, 100cm
lengths, you don't need to end up with much spare to lose.

2) it's incredibly satisfying making your own. (OK, it's just me,
then.)

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I normally reserve making leads for when you need unusual lengths, or
have to pass the wire though a hole where the RJ45 would not fit etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:

(and being realistic, if you buy patch leads in 20, 30, 50, 100cm
lengths, you don't need to end up with much spare to lose.

And the storage space you lose by having to store all those cables of
different lengths, with the wrath of SWMBO?

Sod's law states that just when you need one of X length, you'll have
run out of stock.

I do agree with keeping stock of different lengths - I did this at work
(plus also different colours for different functions - red for backbone,
yellow for phones, green for user desktops, blue for serial, grey for
'****ed if I know', etc.) where there is space available to store them
and someone else is paying for them.

But in a domestic installation?

I normally reserve making leads for when you need unusual lengths, or
have to pass the wire though a hole where the RJ45 would not fit etc.

Yes, agreed.

I've just had to run a couple of Cat5e cables in my house. Solid floors
and a proscription on trunking or clipping to skirting boards, etc. made
it tricky. In the end I went out through the exterior wall, ran it
around the building under the lip of the bell casting at the bottom of
the external render with hot melt glue to hold it in place, then back in
through the wall at the desired location. Worked well: quick, minimal
mess and the cable is totally invisible.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:20:32 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I believe you *can* buy crimpable plugs for solid cable I don't think
they are as common / easy to acquire as those designed for stranded
cable. It's possible you can also get 'universal' plug but I've never
seen them ITRW.

A mate has had the electrician cable up his shop with solid Cat5e (no
problem with that) but didn't go for the patch panel or boxes at the
remotes as I recommended and so I'd told him I'll have nothing to do
with it (if he calls me for (network issue) help in the future). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

A mate has had the electrician cable up his shop with solid Cat5e but
didn't go for the patch panel or boxes at the remotes as I
recommended and so I'd told him I'll have nothing to do with it

very wise ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:05:25 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

A mate has had the electrician cable up his shop with solid Cat5e but
didn't go for the patch panel or boxes at the remotes as I
recommended and so I'd told him I'll have nothing to do with it

very wise ...

It was funny, I'd just started at a new training centre in the city
and we (trainers, office and admin staff, all hands to the decks etc)
were still setting up the all the networking and desks / kit in the
rooms as they were being finished by the builders etc.

I was minding my own business and one of the guys running the cables
under the floor from the comms room to the training rooms approached
me with the 'Ere Tim, you know about networking and stuff, can you
help us please ..?'

The scenario that had was that they could get links up that happened
to be using short cables (they were just making up 'long' patch cables
using stranded cable as the distances weren't that great) but the
longer cables didn't work.

I asked them if they had observed the pairs across pins 1 & 2, 3 & 6
(not 4) etc and they looked blank so I drew it all out on a whiteboard
(I'd just put up). ;-)

They cut all the ends off the cables they had made up that far,
started again and it all worked fine (surprise surprise). ;-)

One of the delegates had to do that with 200 patch cables they had
made in the UK and shipped to Germany. He had to fly out and spent
quite some time putting new ends on (and vowed to never do one again).
;-)

Similar with a mate who had been struggling with a 'touchy' Thin
Ethernet installation using 4 x multiport thin Ethernet repeaters.
When popping in for a coffee I spotted 'very short' (less than the .6m
minimum) interconnecting cables between the repeaters and got him to
replace them with longer ones. All of a sudden, the network was
stable? He asked me why the supplier of the repeaters or the
consultant they had got in hadn't spotted that ...?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/16 08:57, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:20:32 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I believe you *can* buy crimpable plugs for solid cable

RS sell them - I've used them. Sorry, I don't have a part number to hand.

I don't think
they are as common / easy to acquire as those designed for stranded
cable. It's possible you can also get 'universal' plug but I've never
seen them ITRW.

A mate has had the electrician cable up his shop with solid Cat5e (no
problem with that) but didn't go for the patch panel or boxes at the
remotes as I recommended and so I'd told him I'll have nothing to do
with it (if he calls me for (network issue) help in the future). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2016 02:20, John Rumm wrote:

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I normally reserve making leads for when you need unusual lengths, or
have to pass the wire though a hole where the RJ45 would not fit etc.

That's what punch down sockets are for, one either side with some proper
cable between. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:27:14 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 13/07/16 08:57, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:20:32 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I believe you *can* buy crimpable plugs for solid cable

RS sell them - I've used them. Sorry, I don't have a part number to hand.

Yes, you *can* get them but they aren't the sort of thing you can
easily pickup at the std outlets, or even Maplin etc.

Plus I'm not sure how many people, especially those who crimp such
'8P8C' (what we typically call RJ45) connectors in a non-professional
role know such plugs exist?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

RS sell them - I've used them

Me too. They look identical to the ones for stranded, but you can tell
the difference by inspecting with a magnifying glass. The ones for
stranded have pins that pierce the cable insulation and contact the
core, the ones for stranded are more of a IDC type that bites into the
insulation and the core on two sides, similar to the Krone IDC
conencters used on e.g. RJ45 sockets and BT phone sockets.

You're supposed to use the right ones for the cable but I've not had any
trouble mixing them. Also have a feeling there are universal ones.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.sandman.com/IMAGES/ModPlu...edPins-700.jpg

https://www.brucetambling.com/w/imag...contact_lg.jpg

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2016 09:26, T i m wrote:

Similar with a mate who had been struggling with a 'touchy' Thin
Ethernet installation using 4 x multiport thin Ethernet repeaters.
When popping in for a coffee I spotted 'very short' (less than the .6m
minimum) interconnecting cables between the repeaters and got him to
replace them with longer ones. All of a sudden, the network was
stable? He asked me why the supplier of the repeaters or the
consultant they had got in hadn't spotted that ...?

Apropos of not much, I notice that if I test a very short patch lead
with my cable tester, it confirms the pin to pin wiring is ok, but flags
a split pair error... (to be fair the instructions do say there is a
minimum length that it can test reliably)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2016 09:27, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/16 08:57, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:20:32 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Its also incredibly slow! (and unless you keep a stock of stranded
CAT5e, they are less flexible than proper patch leads).

I believe you *can* buy crimpable plugs for solid cable

RS sell them - I've used them. Sorry, I don't have a part number to hand.

For a lead that's going to be left well alone, you can get away with
"normal" plugs on solid core wire IME. Not a good idea for wires that
will be moved about a bit though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2016 08:57, T i m wrote:

A mate has had the electrician cable up his shop with solid Cat5e (no
problem with that) but didn't go for the patch panel or boxes at the
remotes as I recommended and so I'd told him I'll have nothing to do
with it (if he calls me for (network issue) help in the future). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

An electrician I know of "moved" CAT5 outlets by punching new cable on
the the back of an outlet, and running that to a new one. Then repeated
the same excercise on the second outlet to produce a third, rather like
you would with phone outlets. shudder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2016 16:10, John Rumm wrote:

For a lead that's going to be left well alone, you can get away with
"normal" plugs on solid core wire IME. Not a good idea for wires that
will be moved about a bit though.

I didn't even know there were different plugs for different wires.
Always just crimped regular plugs to solid cores.

Looks like I might need to "upgrade" my shop LAN next then as it too is
just a mass of hybrid patch leads from wall boxes straight into the
switch.

Admittedly cables are never moved so I've yet to have any wiring faults.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Looks like I might need to "upgrade" my shop LAN next then as it too is
just a mass of hybrid patch leads from wall boxes straight into the
switch.

If it works and you're happy with the appearance, there's no need to
change. It's two less joints in the cable run.

Patch panels are best used when you flood wire a building but don't
intend to make all the outlets live, or want to patch different services
like TV, phone, audio, etc.

For small/domestic installations you can use wall sockets at both ends,
patching switch - wall socket - fixed cable run - wall socket -
patch lead - network device. In one house I used two double surface
mount plates with two 4-way sockets at the switch end to make a "patch
panel" for the 8 outlets around the house. These: Ebay 110885053421

--
(\_/)