Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine Black Mould

In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:12:56 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2016 23:12, polygonum wrote:
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Leave the door open or ajar when not in use

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil wash.
Also - don't shut the door when the machine is not in use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

As has been said twice already - leave the door open when not in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:12:56 +0100
polygonum wrote:

In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

What black mould? I have never seen it on a washing machine.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Every couple of months run this hot cycle (possibly without a load) with
a packet of washing soda - this gets rid of any smells by removing any
build up of (human) fat and congealed detergent in the drum/pipes/pumps.

Guide price less than 1 GBP per kg in many supermarkets.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285047163&gclid=COXHhPyF5c0CFZAW0wodcNAL7w&gcl src=aw.ds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

+1 to that.

I use the 90+C wash to deal with towels and teatowels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 00:50, Davey wrote:

What black mould? I have never seen it on a washing machine.

Try taking out the detergent dispenser tray and then looking upwards to
where the water enters to wash the detergent into the machine. You may
not see too much if you normally put the detergent in to the drum.

A hand operated spray bottle filled with diluted bleach/vinegar and a
old toothbrush can deal with the housing, followed by a quick rinse
cycle. A soak in a bucket or a trip through the dish washer can deal
with the drawer.

As my machine is not in the kitchen, a quick blast with the garden hose
also works in removing the black deposites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 00:19, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
polygonum wrote:
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

As has been said twice already - leave the door open when not in use.

The door is left as open as if can be given it is in the kitchen.
Certainly never properly closed except when in use.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil wash.
Also - don't shut the door when the machine is not in use.

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil
wash.
Also - don't shut the door when the machine is not in use.

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Over use can damage the rubbers - but occasional seems OK. The
alternative is shove some bleaching agent that's rated for washing
machines, eg Vanish, in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

One thing not yet mentioned is to do a hot wash now & then with acid, eg citric acid. This is to remove limescale, which provides a layer of scale/muck that mould likes to grow on/in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 07:43:41 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

Try taking out the detergent dispenser tray and then looking upwards to
where the water enters to wash the detergent into the machine. You may
not see too much if you normally put the detergent in to the drum.

A hand operated spray bottle filled with diluted bleach/vinegar and a
old toothbrush can deal with the housing, followed by a quick rinse
cycle. A soak in a bucket or a trip through the dish washer can deal
with the drawer.

The operator of the spray bottle needs to have some of what used to be
called mechanical sympathy in they way a machine is treated, i don't
know of an updated term to encompass stuff with electronics.
However my missus hasn't got it and proceeded to spray such a solution
with wild enthusiasm and managed to get some into the electronic
circuits some of which are mounted in the door the result being an
inoperable machine and a display showing every option available.

Fortunatly it responded to a clean with IPA and gentle warmth from a
hairdryer and has been OK for the 3 years since she did it.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I always wipe it around, but I suppose the rubber itself, after a time
gets roughened and makes it hard to keep clean, and the chemicals presumably
do aid growth. I'd have though some kind of anti fungal agent would be put
in the powder or liquid to hel with this.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"polygonum" wrote in message
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the usual
black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be done to a
new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 10:37, pamela wrote:

Washing powder for whites has some bleaching agents which may be
helpful here.

We keep a box of old-style powder for washing whites which does seem to
help control the black stuff which thrives on 30 degree washes with
colour protect liquid.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:

polygonum wrote:

The old WM has [...] ended up with the usual black mould round the door seal.

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C

+1 to that.

My W/D basically gets used on "cool synthetics" cycle for most clothes
and "hot cotton" cycle for towels, this keeps the machine clean, or so I
thought ...

I bought a non-iron cotton white shirt for a funeral, washed it on
synthetics, no problem, line-dried it, unlike 70's drip-dry I decided I
absolutely couldn't improve on the finish by ironing it, wore it, went
to wash it again before putting it away and noticed it should have been
washed as "wool" I don't think I've ever used the wool cycle before (I
use blubber instead of jumpers) so anyway I washed it on wool, and it
came out ABSOLUTELY caked in black fluff.

Turns out the wool programme is quite different from the normal washes;
I expected it to be slower and shorter to be more delicate, but
counter-intuitively it is a LOT faster, so centrifugal* force keeps the
load pinned to the drum rather than letting it tumble and agitate. This
action must have loosened 9 years worth of accumulated crud from between
the fixed and rotating drums.

In fact, SO much crud that even after half a dozen washes on the wool
cycle and boil cycle, some with a load, some empty, some with a dose of
W/M cleaner, some with an extra gallon of boiling water added via the
soap tray, the thing was still coating any clothes with black fluff.

Result? I washed the white shirt on synthetics and vowed never to use
the wool cycle ever again.

* let's not bother with the negative centripetal discussion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil
wash.
Also - don't shut the door when the machine is not in use.

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Interesting. I've not seen that - yet. But I don't own a Bosch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 07:29:20 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil
wash.

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Interesting. I've not seen that - yet. But I don't own a Bosch.

Doesn't bleach react with some plastics making them brittle or
discoloured?
Maybe Bosch uses some plastic components that could be affected,
though a quick rinse or wipe would not be as risky as a prolonged
soak.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

Yes.
And if not using a septic system, adding a bit of bleach to the boil wash.
Also - don't shut the door when the machine is not in use.

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Washing machine outer drums are often made from polyester resin (GRP).
Bleach (particularly warm or hot) will damage the polyester resin, and
you definitely don't want an outer drum to fail at high stress when
the machine is spinning at top speed. A few times over the life of the
machine might not be a problem, but doing it routinely might be asking
for trouble.

The only place I see black mold form is in the farbic softener
dispensor. I simply clean it a couple of times a year. I never do
boil washes - most of my washes are 40C (35C really) with occasional
60C (50C really) for towels. This is using Persil Bio. As someone else
said, eco powders maybe your problem - they certainly don't clean as
well, so I wouldn't be surprised.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - but the worst bit is on the door seal outside the point to
which the washing water gets. So unlikely any formulation of wash with
extra *** - where *** could be bleach, soda, heat or anything else - is
going to work.

Had been thinking of a surface treatment with something that deposits a
few silver atoms or something else that is not popular with mould.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2016 17:52, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

snip

. . . eco powders maybe your problem - they certainly don't clean as
well, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've been using Ecover for quite a while now, and it cleans fine IMO.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its
life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

+1 to that.

I use the 90+C wash to deal with towels and teatowels.

To cut a long thread sort:
Smear washing up liquid on the door seals of a new machine and put on a
wash - 30C works.
Our machine is now 3 years old, the seals are clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its
life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

+1 to that.

I use the 90+C wash to deal with towels and teatowels.

To cut a long thread sort:
Smear washing up liquid on the door seals of a new machine and put on a
wash - 30C works.

-30C would freeze the pump impeller.

Our machine is now 3 years old, the seals are clean.

That's because you disinfect them every day you silly old man.

--
I am sorry I offended you - I should have lied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Thanks - but the worst bit is on the door seal outside the point to
which the washing water gets. So unlikely any formulation of wash with
extra *** - where *** could be bleach, soda, heat or anything else - is
going to work.

Had been thinking of a surface treatment with something that deposits a
few silver atoms or something else that is not popular with mould.

If you want to try that approach, copper sulphate, sinc sulphate, borax, aspirin, any of those would do, in a spray bottle presumably.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

Run it for one cycle at 90deg C (or whatever its maximum temperature
is) at least once a month. The problem is worse using "green" low
temperature detergents which do not inhibit mould growth.

snip

. . . eco powders maybe your problem - they certainly don't clean as
well, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've been using Ecover for quite a while now, and it cleans fine IMO.

Same here. Also Bio-D liquid (v. similar to Ecover). Usually wash at 30C as
well, so asking for trouble.
The machine's a 'John Lewis', so really AEG. The door seal drains well and
can be wiped out easily. The drawer has never had mould in it but there has
been a few small spots in its cavity.
I looked in the pump housing after a year and it was clean - the old machine
was a mushroom farm in there!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If you use Persil they have advice on both cleaning a smelly machine and
also removing mould stains from fabric:

https://www.persil.co.uk/laundry-tip...shing-machine/

https://www.persil.co.uk/laundry-tip...d-from-fabric/

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-09, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/07/16 08:43, Robin wrote:

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Over use can damage the rubbers - but occasional seems OK. The
alternative is shove some bleaching agent that's rated for washing
machines, eg Vanish, in.

Do oxygen bleaches (Vanish) kill mould?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-09, alan_m wrote:

On 09/07/2016 00:50, Davey wrote:

What black mould? I have never seen it on a washing machine.

Try taking out the detergent dispenser tray and then looking upwards to
where the water enters to wash the detergent into the machine. You may
not see too much if you normally put the detergent in to the drum.

A hand operated spray bottle filled with diluted bleach/vinegar and a
old toothbrush can deal with the housing, followed by a quick rinse
cycle. A soak in a bucket or a trip through the dish washer can deal
with the drawer.

As my machine is not in the kitchen, a quick blast with the garden hose
also works in removing the black deposites.

I've never had a problem with the door seals, but every machine we've
had has given me trouble with trying to remove & prevent mould above
the drawer & in parts of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its life?

I noticed on our new Samsung there is a drain notch at the bottom of the
door seal presumably to alleviate this problem.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:20:23 +0100
bert wrote:

In article , polygonum
writes
In the next few weeks, a new washing machine will be purchased.

The old WM has been quite good but, like so many, ended up with the
usual black mould round the door seal. Is there anything that can be
done to a new machine to inhibit black mould for the rest of its
life?

I noticed on our new Samsung there is a drain notch at the bottom of
the door seal presumably to alleviate this problem.

As there is on our five-year-old Hotpoint.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-09, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/07/16 08:43, Robin wrote:

FWIW instructions with some Bosch washing machines include "DO NOT use
chlorine bleach in this washing machine."

Over use can damage the rubbers - but occasional seems OK. The
alternative is shove some bleaching agent that's rated for washing
machines, eg Vanish, in.

Do oxygen bleaches (Vanish) kill mould?

Our we talking about the inner ring/ the well of the dear seal? If so,
it is common all over. Which bemuses me given the detergent atmosphere.
Maybe someone in here can enlighten me?

Anyway, get your hand stuck in. A heavy rag soaked in vinegar will rid
them. And, if it bothers you to, rinse your hands in vinegar, too. Very
good for the skin a naturally symbiotic with human bacteria.