Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine, Black Mould, Large Amounts.

SWMBO just came into the room "Agitatato" because her white sheets had
become marked in the washing machine with what looks like black mould.

She says It can take over 5 wash cycles to get the marks out. :-(

The marking extended over several square feet. On one previous
instance Ca. 3 months ago, we came to the conclusion that mould must
be growing in the detergent compartment/filler pipe, so cleaned it
out.

However todays repeat event was worse. So bad in fact that I couldn't
quite see how the black mould could get at the clothes through the
little holes in the drum in the quantity that must have been needed.

I'm looking for alternative ideas, first thing I thought of was that
it had been growing trapped in a fold on the rubber door seal and gobs
of it had got on the clothes when the machine was loaded. Inspecting
it reveals some black in there. Could this indicate a fault, pooling
of water in the seal for instance?

Any body seen the like of this before. SWMBO uses Ariel liguid
detergent if that is significant.

TNX.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote:
[...]

If it's mould then a good dose of bleach is needed. Are you sure it isn't
the gunge formed by limescale and detergent? This is normally grey and
causes grey stains on the washing. The cure for that is washing machine
descaler (citric acid).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SWMBO just came into the room "Agitatato" because her white sheets had
become marked in the washing machine with what looks like black mould.

Every so often, you should run a boil wash with a couple of tea towels. This
usually keeps the mould at bay, especially when you are good and normally
run environmentally friendly 40C washes.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just leave the porthole ajar when not in use - machine kept ventilated
and mould does not occur.

Yes. And that.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" typed

I just leave the porthole ajar when not in use - machine kept ventilated
and mould does not occur.

Yes. And that.

Christian.

I get black mould in the fabric softener drawer; I wonder if the goo in
it feeds the mould.

I concur with what others have posted.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's fabric softener?

It is a liquid that may be optionally added to the washing machine drawer
which is intended to soften the fabric and reduce creasing. It is also
called fabric conditioner. You will find it under brand names such as
Comfort and Lenor.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain typed

What's fabric softener?

Bloo goo I buy cos my partner whines that the towels are too rough.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

What's fabric softener?

Bloo goo I buy cos my partner whines that the towels are too rough.

Put one or the other in the tumble drier? One way or another you'd be
rid of the problem.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King typed

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

What's fabric softener?

Bloo goo I buy cos my partner whines that the towels are too rough.

Put one or the other in the tumble drier? One way or another you'd be
rid of the problem.

No tumble drier.

Partner too large and heavy for me to insert into washing machine.

Bloo goo are cheap compromise...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Owain typed

What's fabric softener?

Bloo goo I buy cos my partner whines that the towels are too rough.

Introduce him to Rupert Brooke[1], in particular The Great Lover:
"These I have loved
Then, the cool kindliness of sheets, that soon
Smooth away trouble; and the rough male kiss
Of blankets ..."

I must admit that after "the benison of hot water" the "rough male kiss"
of a towel is *wonderful*!

Douglas de Lacey
[1] FTAOD, this is metonymy.

kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:33 PM
Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS! [email protected] Home Repair 27 January 24th 06 05:24 AM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 5th 06 11:45 PM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM
Problems with Siemens Washing Machine WM53661BY Mohammed Farooq UK diy 0 November 6th 03 12:21 PM