Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blair, war criminal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-Yjxnzxb0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/6/2016 8:40 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-Yjxnzxb0

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...idApp_Facebook
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-Yjxnzxb0

The bloke on that video looks a bit dodgy. I am not sure I would want him to
present a sports report with autocue.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 12:40:31 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Yes. Next question?

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally, I find it very strange that to drive a bus, fly a plane etc, you
need training and tests to make sure you know what you are doing, but nobody
seems to use this approach to anyone taking up a position of power in a
government.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 7/6/2016 8:40 PM, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-Yjxnzxb0

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...idApp_Facebook

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/7/2016 8:08 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Personally, I find it very strange that to drive a bus, fly a plane etc, you
need training and tests to make sure you know what you are doing, but nobody
seems to use this approach to anyone taking up a position of power in a
government.

Brian

Not quite true, I think you will find that cabinet level people have
quite a lot of training in various sorts of security, especially of
information and IT related.

I thought the interesting point in the Guardian article was the idea
that Blair ultimately decided he was going to support the USA almost
whatever they did (and that trying to follow the UN route would help to
curtail the lunatic fringe).

That, of course, led him into all sorts of trouble eventually but I
would argue that sometimes the job of a leader is to decide whether
"high level" considerations might trump lower level ones. Only history
in the long run can really make the judgements.

I'd say removing Saddam was a good thing but the subsequent
implementation was massively flawed. Don't forget that Saddam bought it
all down on himself, though.

Wittering on about "legality" and "dodgy dossiers" is just farting
around at the edges.

Some people wanted to charge Churchill and Bomber Harris with war
crimes. I say "Get over it".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 11:40 AM, newshound wrote:
[...]

I read that Saddam had intentions of controlling his own country's oil
prices by dumping the Dollar. The war was committed to a long time
before then. USA has to control everything.

Wittering on about "legality" and "dodgy dossiers" is just farting
around at the edges.

Some people wanted to charge Churchill and Bomber Harris with war
crimes. I say "Get over it".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
[...]

That mangles the real story.

The war was committed to a long time before then.

Like hell it was. Bush and his advisors were
looking for an excuse. 9/11 provided it.

USA has to control everything.

How odd that Bush's dad had enough of a clue to
not even invade Iraq after the first gulf war had ended.

Wittering on about "legality" and "dodgy dossiers" is just farting
around at the edges.

Some people wanted to charge Churchill and Bomber Harris with war
crimes. I say "Get over it".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2016 04:28, RayL12 wrote:
[...]

Don't forget there were sanctions imposed on Iraq prior to the second
Gulf war.