Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Criminal woodworking

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-

tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul T. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-

tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.

I wonder what kind of wood the McPad was made of?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 01:14:35 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Paul T. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-

tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.

I wonder what kind of wood the McPad was made of?

Ironwood, which was then converted into steal ;-)

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Paul T. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-
tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.

I wonder what kind of wood the McPad was made of?

Ironwood, which was then converted into steal ;-)

Are you positively sure it wasn't Apple (wood)?

Maybe they told her it was an Apple McPad and she just didn't hear it right?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Wow, she sure got taken. I only paid $150 for mine and it is made of genuine
pine wood. Anyone know how to charge it? The manual turned to sawdust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2011 10:39 PM, DGDevin wrote:
It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

The guys should have been easy to catch, their car has no rims!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Paul T. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-

tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.

I wonder what kind of wood the McPad was made of?

Obviously, NOT Apple.

P.S: McDognuts shoppers carry around that much money?

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2011 6:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: McDognuts shoppers carry around that much money?

Probably just cashed her paycheck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:48:31 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/31/2011 6:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: McDognuts shoppers carry around that much money?

Probably just cashed her paycheck.

Ouch! That works out to $4.50/hr.
Plus lunch.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

Then the authorities come and kick in her door and confiscate her "woody
iPad" and charge he for possession of a restricted species.

LOL

----------------
wrote in message ...

Ironwood, which was then converted into steal ;-)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2011 10:39 PM, DGDevin wrote:
It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

this issue falls 100% on the buyer.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 05:11:18 GMT, "Paul T."
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:03 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...y_and_science-

tech_and_gadgets/

Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180

Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

Many people are just too trusting. What is really dumb that she didn't
open the box on the spot, if for no other reason to make sure it wasn't
empty.

Paul T.

My guess is she was not too trusting -- she was too dishonest. She
figured they were "hot" and she wanted a piece of the action. The
unfortunate thing is she lost only $180.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote...
On 8/31/2011 9:47 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

My guess is she was not too trusting -- she was too dishonest. She
figured they were "hot" and she wanted a piece of the action. The
unfortunate thing is she lost only $180.

There are plenty of cliches that cover this, but "a fool and his/her money
are soon parted" fits perfectly.

Between the sealed FedEx boxes, the shabby car and the gold tooth, it
probably looked like a "professional thief". So she thought she was getting
a stolen product. He WAS a thief. He was just stealing from her.

That aside..., would you buy an electronic product from somebody in a fast
food restaurant parking lot? With a gold tooth?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2011 10:13 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote...
On 8/31/2011 9:47 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

My guess is she was not too trusting -- she was too dishonest. She
figured they were "hot" and she wanted a piece of the action. The
unfortunate thing is she lost only $180.

There are plenty of cliches that cover this, but "a fool and his/her
money are soon parted" fits perfectly.

Between the sealed FedEx boxes, the shabby car and the gold tooth, it
probably looked like a "professional thief". So she thought she was
getting a stolen product. He WAS a thief. He was just stealing from her.

That aside..., would you buy an electronic product from somebody in a
fast food restaurant parking lot? With a gold tooth?

"Easy come, easy go ... "

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
...snipped...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/

I don't see what all the commotion is about, according to the article,
she saved $120!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this.
Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747...h_and_gadgets/
Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180
Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

People are overcome with greed, the idea that they're going to get a
steal-of-a-deal.
Our neighbors' 50-something daughter fell for the
Nigerian-stuck-in-some-country with no bank account to get a fortune out of
whatever country he's stuck in; Can I use yours?
Her final bill: $28k.
Sheesh. Last I heard she was putting her house on the market.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 8/31/2011 12:56 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 8/31/2011 10:47 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

My guess is she was not too trusting -- she was too dishonest. She
figured they were "hot" and she wanted a piece of the action. The
unfortunate thing is she lost only $180.

Exactly so. The basic principle of swindles is that you can't con an
honest man.

But you can be both honest and greedy and be swindled ... 'Bernie
Madeoff with billions' proved that.

Queue up the Blu-ray. Tonight's feature film: THE STING.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...

Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments"
that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled
were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee
of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to
get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to
obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that
behavior as completely honest.

I had a youngish couple in a late model Ram PU (HOT-LOOKING CHICK in the
passenger seat doing the talking!) sing out to me in the HEB parking lot the
other day wanting to know if I wanted a complete big screen, flat panel
entertainment system including the blu-ray and surround sound. They had an
'extra' one from their 'job.'
Lemmethinkaboutit,NO.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2011 7:03 PM, Dave in Texas wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...

Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments"
that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled
were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee
of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to
get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to
obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that
behavior as completely honest.

I had a youngish couple in a late model Ram PU (HOT-LOOKING CHICK in the
passenger seat doing the talking!) sing out to me in the HEB parking lot
the other day wanting to know if I wanted a complete big screen, flat
panel entertainment system including the blu-ray and surround sound.
They had an 'extra' one from their 'job.'
Lemmethinkaboutit,NO.

Sunnuvabitch! Got hit with the EXACT same proposition in the Home Depot
parking lot on West Loop South about a month ago!

(I had go back in and buy a cord though! ... just kidding)

But not about the proposition ... two black dudes in a brand new SUV,
windows rolled down, with about six boxes of TV's visible in the back.

They were circling the parking lot asking everyone who was walking to or
from their vehicle. No one bit while I was watching, but they were still
there when I pulled out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/11 8:33 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I just get the empty speaker cabinet offer, crappy boxes, with nothing
to speak of inside, but they supposedly sound great. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Texas" wrote:

Exactly so. The basic principle of swindles is that you can't con
an
honest man.

--------------------------------
There was a time when I was deeply involved in the lighting and
electrical distribution systems used when a new automobile dealership
was built.

I always approached the dealership owner the same way.

I would preface our meeting with a comment as follows:

"Normally when I'm in a dealership it is as a customer rather than to
call on you as a customer."

"That said, there is an old saying that you can't screw an honest
man."

"How do you want to do business?"

All I ever got was a smile.

BTW, doing that business with car dealers was very enjoyable.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/31/2011 6:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: McDognuts shoppers carry around that much money?

Probably just cashed her paycheck.

Ouch! That works out to $4.50/hr.
Plus lunch.

Or one hour at a neighborhood motel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:33:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

But not about the proposition ... two black dudes in a brand new SUV,

-New- truck, eh? I guess it works for 'em some of the time.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Texas" wrote in message

I had a youngish couple in a late model Ram PU (HOT-LOOKING CHICK in
the passenger seat doing the talking!) sing out to me in the HEB parking
lot the other day wanting to know if I wanted a complete big screen, flat
panel entertainment system including the blu-ray and surround sound. They
had an 'extra' one from their 'job.'

A popular variation on this is the guy in a van who has an "extra" set of
super hi-fi speakers--over-shipped, or the customer changed his mind, or
[insert story du jour]--which he would like to unload for like half what
they sell for down at the shop (he might even have an invoice showing the
speakers as selling for a whole pile of money). The boxes might look real
with a famous brand name on them, the speakers inside of course are crap,
although they are speakers. This must work often enough to make it
worthwhile, I've heard the story many times over the decades and I was
approached with such an offer just a few months ago in a shopping center
parking lot. People trying to benefit from something a little bit
crooked--the answer to a crook's prayer.