Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuking brambles

On 07/07/16 15:59, fred wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:06:03 PM UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:01:10 +0100, PeterC wrote:

I have a cunning plan: remove them down to the roots, let them
grow several leaves, use a plastic cylinder as a barrier and see
if I can spray/wipe then. Need some sort of wetting agent - the
leaves are hydrophobic.

Washing up liquid works

Just be careful of Roundup. SWMBO was complaining about a small weed
which was growing under her tomato plants in the greenhouse. Her ever
helpful 'gardener', not me, used a spray bottle (one of those with a
lever at the top) to spray roundup on them. Unfortunately same spray
bottle atomised the round up so it rose up around the toamto plants
and killed all of them. Schadenfraude. Same SWMBO screeches if she
sees ME using Roundup.

That's why we all say 'paint' not 'spray'

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2016-07-06, John Rumm wrote:

[25 lines snipped]

Can one thicken glyphosphate with anything to make it more "topical"?

Like I said already, wallpaper paste.

Yup, saw that after I posted

Sorry about the snappy tone ...

We've become accustomed to it...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:50:31 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 12:01:10 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

The info. on the Gallup 360 leaflet says not to spray under hedges, so I'd
assume the same for (other) shrubs.

I'd like to know the reason they say that. I would imagine it's
because of the real possibility of getting the spray onto the hedge
itself and damaging it, rather than because it isn't effective on
weeds under the hedge.

Possibly, yes. The Weedol does, of course. warn about drift.

Weedol does seem to be suitable for under woody growth, so I keep some for that purpose.

Which Weedol would that be? Scotts do several products under that
umbrella name.

Rootkill Plus. http://amzn.to/29qkdMH

Contains glyphosate http://tinyurl.com/zyho599

Looks like you're right about the warning on the Gallup being about drift
then.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 07:06:01 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:01:10 +0100, PeterC wrote:

I have a cunning plan: remove them down to the roots, let them grow
several leaves, use a plastic cylinder as a barrier and see if I can
spray/wipe then. Need some sort of wetting agent - the leaves are
hydrophobic.

Washing up liquid works

Yes I made the mistake of using Bio-D w-u liquid (v. similar to Ecover) and
it didn't work. Eventually realised that it's a soap and might not survive
the mixing (don't know how). Tried a few drops of Star Drops as I don't have
ordinary w-u liquid and that seems to have worked.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Brambles again JJ[_8_] Home Repair 8 July 13th 11 04:11 AM
grass, nettles, brambles George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 12 June 15th 08 07:24 PM
nuking a burl moyo Woodturning 1 October 25th 04 05:00 AM