Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hot air gun for light/occasional use

I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs& removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Buy the cheapest possible, it will outlive you! A hair dryer will
often suffice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/5/2016 12:17 PM, Capitol wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs& removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Buy the cheapest possible, it will outlive you! A hair dryer will
often suffice.

+1.

If it's paper stickers, label remover may well be better and easier. If
plastic, it may be a bit fierce and a hair dryer could be better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No just get a politician to breath on the job...
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 12:08:28 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Not that cheap, but I use a Dreme VersaTip (the gas powered one) for that
kind of thing. Very versatile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Shed Own Brand should be fine. One thing to remember is
to make sure to keep the hot air stream well away from the
lead as its easily melted.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

They're pretty simple devices. I would go for one with an adjustable heat
output, though. Enough heat for paint stripping is far too much for heat
shrink, etc.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 12:17:27 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:

I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs& removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

Buy the cheapest possible, it will outlive you! A hair dryer will
often suffice.

Some hairdryers tolerate partial blockage of the air intake on low, some don't. Don't do that of course. There's not much to be gained by 5x the airspeed & 5x the power, a small hairdryer should do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-05, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

They're pretty simple devices. I would go for one with an adjustable heat
output, though. Enough heat for paint stripping is far too much for heat
shrink, etc.

Are there any that don't have adjustable heat output?

I've got one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb2...gun-230v/73867

But it's only a few years old, too early to tell about long-term reliability.
I can't remember now what the name brand one it replaced was, but that had
lasted for many years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
They're pretty simple devices. I would go for one with an adjustable heat
output, though. Enough heat for paint stripping is far too much for heat
shrink, etc.

Are there any that don't have adjustable heat output?

There certainly were. Like single speed drills. I've got one - like I said
they're pretty reliable. And fine for paint stripping.

I've got one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb2...gun-230v/73867

But it's only a few years old, too early to tell about long-term
reliability. I can't remember now what the name brand one it replaced
was, but that had lasted for many years.

My newer one is just two settings. So that looks fine if the lowest one is
good for heat shrink, etc.

I no longer use the gun for heat shrink - I use the hot air solder re-work
station. Nice small jet of air at any temperature you want.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/5/2016 5:33 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
[...]

Must admit I normally use my mini butane torch (like a cook's one) for
heat sink rather than getting out the big hot air gun. Not as nice as a
rework station, but convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aldi & Lidl often have them on special offer but you may have to wait, though I think Aldi may have had one recently on offer, might be a few still available at the odd store. I bought a Lidl one last year it has two settings the lower one being ideal for heat shrinking.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aldi & Lidl often have them on special offer but you may have to wait, though I think Aldi may have had one recently on offer, might be a few still available at the odd store. I bought a Lidl one last year it has two settings the lower one being ideal for heat shrinking.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-05, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I need a hot air gun for occasional heat-shrink jobs & removing some
stickers from tile. Is it worth paying for a branded one? Apart from
long-term reliability, it strikes me that a sloppy one could be
particularly hazardous.

They're pretty simple devices. I would go for one with an adjustable heat
output, though. Enough heat for paint stripping is far too much for heat
shrink, etc.

Are there any that don't have adjustable heat output?

I've got one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb2...gun-230v/73867

But it's only a few years old, too early to tell about long-term reliability.
I can't remember now what the name brand one it replaced was, but that had
lasted for many years.

I bought one at Aldi .. 3 heat settings ... great value bit of kit
2000W £9.99 and 2 yr warranty