Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Making rubber sticky question

I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/4/2016 8:00 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:54:36 +0100, ss wrote:

I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Glue a bit of coarse sandpaper onto the face that contacts the floor.

That may still slip on ceramic tiles.

Sit it in a few millimetres of clean mineral oil (engine oil, 3 in 1?)
for a few days, this will absorb and make the surface slightly tacky.
Wipe clean before use, obviously.

Stick a bit of Dycem on the bottom.

Abandon the wedge, replace with a "kick-down door stay" like this (sorry
about the rubbish URL)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Door-Holder-Foot-Operated-Satin-Nickel-130mm/p/103331?CAWELAID=120135120001182743&CAGPSPN=pla&CAA GID=17408546092&CATCI=pla-193350297172&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Doors%20and%20Windows&tmcampid=&tmad=c&tmplacer ef=juvMG8bj&utm_content=sjuvMG8bj|pcid|43364674852 |pkw||pmt||&gclid=CjwKEAjwkui7BRCf64DNtfDupgoSJAA_ 0LOo3-M3OtFDdkKgoibAlct9jysUbbUqJGWOEZa_thR1RhoC5ijw_wcB

or Google "kick-down door stay" for plenty of others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/07/2016 20:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:54:36 +0100, ss wrote:

I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Glue a bit of coarse sandpaper onto the face that contacts the floor.

Sounds good I wil give that a try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Door-...130mm/p/103331

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/4/2016 9:31 PM, ARW wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, dunno why my link turned up in Google, perhaps because it came from
Google Images? Of course you young lads understand computers

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

Or

http://www.wickes.co.uk/putwhatthefu...there/p/103331

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"newshound" wrote in message
On 7/4/2016 9:31 PM, ARW wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

How dare you call me young and accuse me of understanding computers:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:37:33 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:54:36 +0100, ss wrote:

I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Try softer tackier rubber, maybe make one from silicone sealant.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/putwhatthefu...there/p/103331

Actually it's:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/nadremover/p/103331
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

blu-tack?

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Buy a Lidl door stop next time they are on offer. The weight holds
it in place IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/07/2016 19:54, ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Is this an old door wedge, where the rubber has hardened? If so just
sand the top layer (off the bottom of it) to get to the grippier rubber
underneath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/5/2016 10:37 AM, pamela wrote:
On 10:11 5 Jul 2016, Capitol wrote:

ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a
not very powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due
to low clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes
and the door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop
it slipping ?

Buy a Lidl door stop next time they are on offer. The
weight holds it in place IME.

Lidl was selling those round Ordex door stoppers last week. They look
quite stylish too.

The lump of steel with a rubber ring round it and a rubber base? I have
one of those too (but don't kick it in bare feet or slippers).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Put some dots of Copydex glue on the underneath of the wedge
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/07/2016 07:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Why bother,just fit a hook and eye behind the door tohold it open.
Brian

Nope, it opens on to the side of fridge, but good idea as I have a spare
magnetic hook which may do the trick with a piece of string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 7:54:40 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Make a wooden one; works on our tiled floors with strong door closers.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/07/2016 09:12, Jonathan wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 7:54:40 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very
powerful door closer.
The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low
clearance.
The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the
door closes.
Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it
slipping ?

Make a wooden one; works on our tiled floors with strong door closers.

Jonathan

I eventually bought one of these off ebay (kick down) and it works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1918670689...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT