Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen worktop ( and possibly units)

Hi,

Hope everyone is OK.Long time and no posts.

I have an old kitchen - must be mid 1980's? I do not want to change it. I think it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time.
However, my kitchen sink (inset) has bitten the dust - its supposed to be stainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bottom is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

The trouble is now the old sink has been removed its clear the work top isn't all it could be and the under sink cabinet (corner unit) is iffy too. I have tried all the big names for a decent cheap cabinet that would match and looked at all the reviews online.

Simply there isn't anything that will fit with my existing kitchen.It was ,back in the day, if anyone is old enough to remember,its similar to "basket weave". (off white/cream with a check pattern in it). I remember having one in my mums house. Made by MFI possibly. One of their better ones.

Anyway, being a skin flint, I want to pick something up that will match without changing the whole kitchen. Any suggestions? Ditto a work top although I could use a wood effect work surface.

And can anyone suggest where I might get a cheap but sturdy drawer unit (500 mm) Got a B& Q replacement about 10 years ago there and its rubbish.

I dont want "shaker" or " High gloss" . I want something simple and easy to clean.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 16:42:13 UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

I think white unit(s) and paint is going to be your best way forward.
Even paint the whole lot of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 16:42, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

If the doors/drawer fronts are OK could you not re-use these on a
generic carcass, cut down to fit if required?

Is it just the worktop that was hidden by the sink that has got water
damage and if repaired could be hidden by another sink? Where I've
replaced a sink and the chipboard worktop underneath had started to
expand I soaked the edge in Ronseal wet rot wood hardener and then using
two bits of scrap wood top and bottom clamped tightly to squeeze the
expanding chipboard back to almost original thickness. The Ronseal
product sets rock hard. The clamping has to be relatively quick. I did
one edge at a time. I also wrapped the scrap wood in plastic to provide
a release surface in case the Ronseal product glued the scrap to the
work surface

Great Value Product

Ronseal
RONSEAL WET ROT WOOD HARDENER

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

I found the B & Q off the shelf units to be quite solid. When I had
a similar problem, I just bought a standard cabinet and hacked it down
to fit, then drilled new hinge holes to allow me to fit the original
doors. It's a bit of a fiddle, but not too difficult.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 19:18, alan_m wrote:

Great Value Product

Ronseal
RONSEAL WET ROT WOOD HARDENER

Opps that should have been a link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-WRW.../dp/B001GU2G6Y

possibly cheaper elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 19:18:47 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Quite, so it's unclear where the problem is exactly. With a sliding mitre saw you could cut any generic carcass down to fit, or make one from sheet. If making I'd likely use OSB3 or less likely WBP ply.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/07/2016 19:18, alan_m wrote:

Is it just the worktop that was hidden by the sink that has got water
damage and if repaired could be hidden by another sink?

Another *larger* sink!

Or go the whole hog and get sit on sink, doing away altogether with that
bit of worktop? I'm not sure whether those are available for corner
units, though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"sweetheart" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope everyone is OK.Long time and no posts.

I have an old kitchen - must be mid 1980's? I do not want to change it. I
think it was probably one of those expensive fitted ones of the time.
However, my kitchen sink (inset) has bitten the dust - its supposed to be
stainless steel but its rusted out round the clips and things and the bottom
is now flaking off. So I got a new one.

Is this a new worktop one to replace the one your OH burnt down 6 years ago?

--
Adam

Worktop overhang at the end of a run of units mike[_7_] UK diy 5 December 16th 09 11:28 AM
Cutting kitchen worktop that is already fixed in a kitchen. Rob Horton UK diy 15 June 16th 09 08:11 AM
kitchen - lining up base units with wall units benpost UK diy 5 May 26th 08 10:13 AM
Kitchen Worktop Martin UK diy 7 April 14th 06 12:44 PM
Ikea kitchen units too big for Wickes worktop tez UK diy 3 December 15th 04 07:43 PM