Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap but reliable circular saw wanted

I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut out
some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as all
are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:
I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut out
some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as all
are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx etc.

ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought one.

Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard

It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:13:09 +0100, David Lang wrote:

On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:
I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut
out some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx
etc.

Thanks.

ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought
one.

Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard

It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

Why didn't I think of that befo I just used to use a straight edge
clamped down after adjusting for blade. This is so much easier (slaps
forehead for missing the obvious!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Do make up a sawboard;
It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

Why didn't I think of that befo I just used to use a straight edge
clamped down after adjusting for blade. This is so much easier (slaps
forehead for missing the obvious!)

I made a saw-board once, the very next time I used the saw it burnt out!
And was the distance from edge of sole-plate to blade on the replacement
saw narrower, so I could re-cut it? No, no it wasn't.

So now I have a dymo label on the saw with the offsets from each edge of
the sole-plate to each edge of the blade, and use a self-clamping
straight edge, if I needed to do a full 8' sheet cut I'd probably get
round to making a new saw-board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:
I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut out
some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as all
are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx etc.

ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought one.

Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard

It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

Would you really buy a cordless circular saw for occasional use? My big
circular saw - which gets occasional use - is maybe 30 years old, and
still fine. A cordless one would have been replaced several times in that
period due to battery failure - even if never used.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/28/2016 11:13 AM, David Lang wrote:
On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:
I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut out
some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as all
are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx
etc.

ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought one.

Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard

It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

What he says!

A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which, while
fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet. Screwfix
had a good deal on them recently but I think it has now expired. On eBay
you will find their own site which also sells so-called B-grade machines
(presumably returns or ones which failed some QA check?). I have one of
their chop saws from this source and it is absolutely fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:44:36 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

[...]

The link at the bottom of that page is broken...

The requested URL /powertools/circularsaw.htm was not found on this
server.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-06-28, David Lang wrote:
On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:
I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut
out some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as
all are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.

What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit
(having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch,

I have one of these. It's fine. Buy decent blades.

+1. I have the battery one, that shares batteries with the cordless drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"newshound" wrote in message

A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which, while
fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet. Screwfix had
a good deal on them recently but I think it has now expired.

This one that you posted about last month

http://www.screwfix.com/p/s/84664

It's still only £50.

Dunno if you saw my reply to your post but I did buy one (and gave reasons
for doing so)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 20:03:14 +0100, ARW wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message

A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which, while
fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet. Screwfix
had a good deal on them recently but I think it has now expired.

This one that you posted about last month

http://www.screwfix.com/p/s/84664

It's still only £50.

Dunno if you saw my reply to your post but I did buy one (and gave
reasons for doing so)

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
David Lang wrote
Mark Allread wrote

I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one
to cut out some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.

Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or
Screwfix as all are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled
out.

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx
etc.

ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought one.

Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard

It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.

Would you really buy a cordless circular saw for occasional use?

I did. Got a full set of DeWalt cordless power tools for just $10,
brand new, never been used, obviously from a garage sale. Works
very well indeed.

My big circular saw - which gets occasional
use - is maybe 30 years old, and still fine.

Mine that I used to build the house with is rather
older than that, more than 40 years old and the
switch has failed. Still usable by switching the
mains socket but not that convenient.

A cordless one would have been replaced several times
in that period due to battery failure - even if never used.

I don't care when I only paid $10 for a complete set of cordless tools.

And I have at least 4 mains circular saws, 3 big mains cutoff saws too.
All except the one I build the house with costing peanuts at garage sales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message

A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which, while
fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet. Screwfix
had a good deal on them recently but I think it has now expired.

This one that you posted about last month

http://www.screwfix.com/p/s/84664

It's still only £50.

Dunno if you saw my reply to your post but I did buy one (and gave
reasons for doing so)

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which,
while fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet.
Screwfix had a good deal on them recently but I think it has now
expired.

This one that you posted about last month

http://www.screwfix.com/p/s/84664

It's still only £50.

Dunno if you saw my reply to your post but I did buy one (and gave
reasons for doing so)

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I did. Got a full set of DeWalt cordless power tools for just $10,
brand new, never been used, obviously from a garage sale. Works
very well indeed.

Is garage sale what you Oz types call stolen? Doesn't surprise me.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I did. Got a full set of DeWalt cordless power tools
for just $10, brand new, never been used, obviously
from a garage sale. Works very well indeed.

Is garage sale what you Oz types call stolen?

Nope. He got it as a prize and had no use for it himself
and was too stupid to work out what it was worth.

I also got a crate of wine which someone
else got the same way, for free in that case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:13:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:13:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

I was tempeted by the 50 quid Evolution, but the reviews on SF's site are
rather mixed re. quality, so feedback would be very useful.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 8:43:36 AM UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:13:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

I was tempeted by the 50 quid Evolution, but the reviews on SF's site are
rather mixed re. quality, so feedback would be very useful.

Another vote in favour of the evolution. Got one from sf a while back and I like it. I also have the evolution mitre - I think I got that first and followed with the circular saw.

I'm sure they're not up the standard of makita, dewalt, etc, for for a diyer I think they're fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:13:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

FWIW.... only used it so far to cut out some damaged loft boarding but it
felt a good balance in the hand and the cut guide seems pretty true to
the blade (cut freehand). Sole plate seems pretty robust. Cut depth
easily adjustable but can't speak for cutting angle setting as not used.

Much better than my previous c30 yr old B&D - now you know why I only
wanted a cheap one!

Not much help I know but hope its of some assistance. I'll be using it
again in a couple of months or so on some oak which will probably give it
a more serious test - I'm not expecting it not to perform though. Won't
be used on any form of metal (at least, not that I can envisage).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 14:15, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

ok fixed...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

I was tempeted by the 50 quid Evolution, but the reviews on SF's site are
rather mixed re. quality, so feedback would be very useful.

If you look at the reviews from low to high I love the second lowest review
and the star ratings done by mmcp42.

He said

Good value and worked a treat
"needed to trim a couple of doors after new carpet laid cut through both
doors in no time really pleased with the results "

and then gave the saw a 1 star rating on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mind boggles at that one.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

Thank you for that. One of the things I do like about it is the balance.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:03:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.

I was tempeted by the 50 quid Evolution, but the reviews on SF's site are
rather mixed re. quality, so feedback would be very useful.

If you look at the reviews from low to high I love the second lowest review
and the star ratings done by mmcp42.

He said

Good value and worked a treat
"needed to trim a couple of doors after new carpet laid cut through both
doors in no time really pleased with the results "

and then gave the saw a 1 star rating on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mind boggles at that one.

Indeed - one needs to filter out the mistakes and nutters (like giving 1
star for a mains shaver because it wasn't rechargeable!).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---