Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone recommend a cheap, small, reliable, easy to repair combi boiler?

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

Thank you,

Duke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2007 10:24:01 +0100, Duke
wrote:

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

Are Vizo combi boilers any good? For example, from B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2v62vk

Duke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

Are Vizo combi boilers any good? For example, from B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2v62vk

Duke

Not having much luck with this are you? :-)
Sounds silly but I'd ask a local spares supplier which boiler has the
cheapest/easiest to get hold of spares.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duke wrote:

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

You seem to have a conflict in requirements here. cheap does not usually
go along with reliable, and easy to repair. Also cheap boiler often have
expensive spares. Small and easy to repair can also work against each
other.

So it might be useful if you decided what you most important requirement is.

Regrading boiler power, you can ignore the heating requires totally.
Decide on your hot water performance needs.

Cheapest boilers, well you have found some of those - the shed specials
and the like. Biasi etc.

Reliable: look at the quality end of the market. Also have a read of
Ed's boiler choice FAQ to work out what design features are going to
contribute to the reliability.

Small: Have a look at the table "Current HE Models" he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...iler_Evolution

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Duke" wrote

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

If it's for your use or for you to maintain - don't buy cheap!
If it's a renovation project get the cheapest you can find at the spec you
want with the longest guarantee ("the boiler still has 'x' years guarantee"
will be a selling point).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Duke" wrote

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

If it's for your use or for you to maintain - don't buy cheap!
If it's a renovation project get the cheapest you can find at the spec you
want with the longest guarantee ("the boiler still has 'x' years guarantee"
will be a selling point).

Phil

I think this is yet another area where you no longer get what you pay
for. They're all designed to break down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Duke" wrote

Asking again, due to lack of any recommendations before.
It is needed for a one-bed flat (for central heating and DHW) - about
60 sq mtrs floor area (kitchen + bathroom with bath + living room +
bedroom). One rad with TRV in each room. Biggest room is 4.5 mtrs x
4.5 mtrs. Flu will go straight out through the cavity wall on which
the combi will be fixed.

If it's for your use or for you to maintain - don't buy cheap!
If it's a renovation project get the cheapest you can find at the spec you
want with the longest guarantee ("the boiler still has 'x' years guarantee"
will be a selling point).

Sound advice.

The pros I know all seem to love Worcester-Bosch, and that's what I
ended up buying myself (a 24i Junior, which would suit the above
requirements I'd have thought) mainly to ensure my CORGI would not
object to fitting it!

Went through the Government 'energysmart' scheme at the bizarrely-named
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk which AFAIK is as good a price as
anywhere for the models which they handle.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
"Duke" wrote

[...]

At the moment I have bad thoughts about WB and the 24i. Having watched
their own engineer struggle for two hours to replace a pump, with much
gnashing of teeth, I wouldn't say they're "easy" to work on.

Anyone recommend a smallish, cheapish combi boiler? Jak UK diy 23 May 18th 07 01:16 AM
Recommend a cheap, honest gas fire? Jason Hallway UK diy 2 February 20th 07 11:17 PM
Recommend me a Combi VisionSet UK diy 3 April 6th 06 05:32 PM
recommend a small metalworking lathe Peter Lynch UK diy 10 March 3rd 06 11:02 PM
Can a combi boiler be fitted into an small airless enclosed space Ed Sirett UK diy 0 August 29th 03 08:54 PM