DavidM

Default Reliable and Flexible Corgi Plumber Wanted - Mid Herts

I am planning on replacing my 30+ year old CH boiler with a new,
conventional flue boiler (and yes, I know about the regs changes re
condensing boilers, but I'm not about to have my whole house replumbed to
accommodate one!).

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

1. Visit before I remove the old boiler, check what I'm planning on doing
and advise of any problems or better ways of doing things.

2. After I have installed the boiler and new controls, to reconnect the gas
and do all the gas and flue safety checks etc, and check that the boiler is
working
ok.

3. Sign off the installation(?)

I'll pay the going hourly rate for all time spent, including reasonable
travelling time.

Any offers or recommendations?

David

Doctor Drivel

"DavidM" wrote in message
I am planning on replacing my 30+ year old CH boiler with a new,
conventional flue boiler (and yes, I know about the regs changes re
condensing boilers, but I'm not about to have my whole house replumbed to
accommodate one!).

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

Go for a proper heating engineer, not a plumber.

Lobster

DavidM wrote:

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

snip

Any offers or recommendations?

My recommendation would be that you find a Corgi who will agree to do
all you want BEFORE you embark on self-installing your boiler. My guess
is you'll struggle to find one, big time.

I've been trying to find one to fit a boiler (to be supplied by me) to a
new CH system installed by me and a non-CORGI plumber. Not a hope.
Luckily I hadn't bought a boiler yet! I'm now looking for a Corgi who
will *supply* and fit a boiler (again, to the new CH system) and even
then am striking out. So far, I've found just one who's prepared to
give me a quote (and God knows what that will be).

I was whinging about this to the plumber's merchant this afternoon and
he says he's not surprised at all; says there's very little money in
fitting just boilers, and all the red tape and certification needed
these days makes it an unattractive job to take on (when they aren't
exactly devoid of work). And, as he said, "plumbers are funny buggers..."

David
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lobster writes:
DavidM wrote:

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

snip

Any offers or recommendations?

My recommendation would be that you find a Corgi who will agree to do
all you want BEFORE you embark on self-installing your boiler. My guess
is you'll struggle to find one, big time.

Wickes used to keep a list of CORGI's who were prepared to do
this for the Halstead boilers they used to sell (and maybe
still do, but I haven't looked recently). Might be worth
trying to get hold of this list if it still exists (I think
it was on their "Good Ideas" leaflet for the boilers).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Peter Andrews

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

Surely, unlike electricity, it is still legal to install and commission your
own boiler - provided that you are competant, i.e. do it correctly.

Peter

DavidM

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
. uk...

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

There seems to be an endless debate (see the plumbers section of the
Screwfix - http://www.screwfix.com discussion group).
If you ask a plumber (or gas engineer) they will probably say it is illegal
(but they would of course), others will say all you have to do is prove
competance (eg get Corgi registered!!).
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you sell
your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for all gas
appliances, issued by a register engineer.
Nanny State and all that grrrrrrrrr
David

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:58:54 +0000, DavidM wrote:

I am planning on replacing my 30+ year old CH boiler with a new,
conventional flue boiler (and yes, I know about the regs changes re
condensing boilers, but I'm not about to have my whole house replumbed to
accommodate one!).

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

1. Visit before I remove the old boiler, check what I'm planning on doing
and advise of any problems or better ways of doing things.

2. After I have installed the boiler and new controls, to reconnect the gas
and do all the gas and flue safety checks etc, and check that the boiler is
working
ok.

3. Sign off the installation(?)

I'll pay the going hourly rate for all time spent, including reasonable
travelling time.

Any offers or recommendations?

Take a look at the gas fitting FAQ.
Email me - may be I can help.
However the replacement boiler would have to be condensing and I doubt
that installing one would cause you to have the whole house replumbed.

Even if you were able to claim exemption (from a condensing unit) you
would still need to comply with the other Energy efficiency measures which
would almost certainly mean a new HW cylinder and TRVs.

Ed Sirett

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

The gas fitting aspect of the work is permissible to DIY provided
you are competent. However there are a number of other aspects which it is
questionable to DIY.

Firstly: You would need to submit a building notice as you can't self
certify that the installation complies with Part L & Part J.
Secondly: Most boilers are in a restricted area as regard Prat P. and
electrics.
Thirdly: Many manufacturers could use the fact that the benchmark book
was not signed off as an excuse to avoid delivering on the warranty.
Fourthly: Documentation required to sell the house (this is the least
problem I would guess).

A boiler I did earlier this year and which I submitted notification on has
failed a random CORGI inspection:

1) The boiler not is supplied from a fused spur.
2) Filling loop left connected.

Nanny State Grrrr!

Martyn Pollard

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

I think there are a couple of possible issues. As someone has said,
most corgi engineers are likely busy with full installations mon-fri,
9-5. If someone claims to be corgi but is doing it 'off the books'
then its not a legal installation and you would not get a legit
benchmark logbook. An engineer working full time for XYZ ltd is not
allowed to claim to be Corgi registered in his own right. Boiler
manufacturers could void the warranty in this case and I doubt Corgi
would be too happy.

As for your request to keep a non-condensing boiler, there are some
exceptions which allow for it, but they are rare. All replacement
boilers have to be notified to building control and Corgi have a scheme
to do this and we pay the =A32.50 for the privilege for each job. Once
the boiler is on the system then they could do random inspections to
check an engineers job. If the installer incorrectly used a
non-condensing boiler then I presume they could be struck off the Corgi
register.

I recently did a job where the owner needed a new boiler and a few new
rads. I quoted for both, but I was happy for him to do the rads while I
fitted the boiler. I think that's about the best compromise you will
find. I sometimes get calls from people asking if I can "just
commission the boiler". I would always decline as its not just a case
of turning up, testing a few things, writing a few details down and
saying job done.

Martyn

raden

In message , DavidM
writes
I am planning on replacing my 30+ year old CH boiler with a new,
conventional flue boiler (and yes, I know about the regs changes re
condensing boilers, but I'm not about to have my whole house replumbed to
accommodate one!).

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

1. Visit before I remove the old boiler, check what I'm planning on doing
and advise of any problems or better ways of doing things.

2. After I have installed the boiler and new controls, to reconnect the gas
and do all the gas and flue safety checks etc, and check that the boiler is
working
ok.

3. Sign off the installation(?)

Sign off an illegal boiler ?

I'll pay the going hourly rate for all time spent, including reasonable
travelling time.

Any offers or recommendations?

David

--
geoff

Martyn Pollard

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

check a job. If the installer incorrectly used a non-condensing boiler
then I presume they could be struck off the Corgi register. They have
never clarified this point.

I recently did a job where the owner needed a new boiler and a few new
rads. I quoted for both, but I was happy for him to do the rads while I
fitted the boiler. I think that's about the best compromise you will
find. I sometimes get calls from people asking if I can "just
commission the boiler". I would always decline as its not just a case
of turning up, testing a few things, writing a few details down and
saying job done.

Martyn

Lobster

Ed Sirett wrote:

The gas fitting aspect of the work is permissible to DIY provided
you are competent. However there are a number of other aspects which it is
questionable to DIY.

Has this not changed earlier this year, with new regs? I thought when
you bought a new boiler these days you now had to fill in a form and
send it to Two Jags, and tell him which Corgi would be fitting it? Or
something?

David
Bernice Carter

"raden" wrote in message
In message , DavidM
writes

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

1. Visit before I remove the old boiler, check what I'm planning on doing
and advise of any problems or better ways of doing things.

2. After I have installed the boiler and new controls, to reconnect the

gas
and do all the gas and flue safety checks etc, and check that the boiler

is
working
ok.

3. Sign off the installation(?)

I want to get rid of an old fireplace (horrible orange tile job) but there
is a gas fire stood in front of it. I've been told (by the council who I
had to get permission from to do this) that I've got to get a Corgi
registered person to disconnect the gas fire and then reconnect it once the
fireplace has been removed. This is a very simple job that could be done by
almost anyone but looks as though its going to cost a fortune (and thats if
I can find someone who is willing to do such a quick and simple thing!).

DavidM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , DavidM
writes
I am planning on replacing my 30+ year old CH boiler with a new,
conventional flue boiler (and yes, I know about the regs changes re
condensing boilers, but I'm not about to have my whole house replumbed to
accommodate one!).

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

1. Visit before I remove the old boiler, check what I'm planning on doing
and advise of any problems or better ways of doing things.

2. After I have installed the boiler and new controls, to reconnect the
gas
and do all the gas and flue safety checks etc, and check that the boiler
is
working
ok.

3. Sign off the installation(?)

Sign off an illegal boiler ?

sniped--

geoff

I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm more
concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for my own
peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk
David

news

Martyn Pollard wrote:

An engineer working full time for XYZ ltd is not allowed to claim to be
Corgi registered in his own right.

that is *totally* untrue. my brother in law works for a ltd company, a very large
well known gas service firm with a multi million pound turnover, so is obviously
corgi registered. he's also a director of his own limited company and advertises
in Yell with his corgi number. all legal, run through solicitors, accountants, the
tax man, vat man, etc.

it's the individual who passes the corgi (spit) benchmark, not the company
and it's also the individual who has the right to use the accreditation.

news

Bernice Carter wrote:

I want to get rid of an old fireplace (horrible orange tile job) but
there is a gas fire stood in front of it. I've been told (by the
council who I had to get permission from to do this) that I've got to
get a Corgi registered person to disconnect the gas fire and then
reconnect it once the fireplace has been removed. This is a very
simple job that could be done by almost anyone but looks as though
its going to cost a fortune (and thats if I can find someone who is
willing to do such a quick and simple thing!).

there's a lesson for you !

you ought to have removed the gas fire, competently, with full adherence to
the regulations, ripped out the tiled fireplace and back boiler, revealed the
builders opening and taken it from there. a dirty but simple job, as you say,
and one you are, legally, allowed to do yourself.

obv, if you are not able to deduce that for yourself then, perhaps, you are not
a *competent* person and ought to dig deep and cough up to someone who
is at least able to work the /above/ out for themselves ;-)

HtH

raden

In message , DavidM
writes

3. Sign off the installation(?)

Sign off an illegal boiler ?

sniped--

geoff

I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm more
concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for my own
peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk
David

Yes, but by saying "Sign off", you're expecting someone to be complicit
in breaking the law - putting his signature to an illegal installation

You could say check over I suppose
--
geoff
DavidM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Ed. I had read the gas FAQ and there's nothing there that causes me
concern about doing any of it myself, including the gas safety checks, on a
non condensing boiler. The main thing I'm missing is the ability to test for
flue gases. My HW cylinder is fairly new (5 years) and I have some TRVs
fitted and a few more will be no problem while I'm doing the job. I have
already purchased the replacement conventional boiler, last year, but
personal circumstances delayed the project
I'm more concerned with getting a third party check of my work, from a
competent engineer, mainly from a safety perspective, than anything else.
David

DJC

DavidM wrote:
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you sell
your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for all gas
appliances, issued by a register engineer.
Nanny State and all that grrrrrrrrr

I have just got the CORGI certificate 'Building Regulations Compliance'
for my new boiler. This boldly states:
" From January 2007, it will b required for all homeowners to be able to
provide evidence of any gas and building work undertaken i n tier
property in order to sell the property."

This in my opnon is misleading. From Jan 2007 'Buyers Packs' are to be
introduced, but that as far as I understand will not prvent a sale if
documents are not available. In a stick market it may be an excuse for a
buyer to talk down the price but that that is notthe same as saying that
the property cannot be sold.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Martyn Pollard

news wrote:
Martyn Pollard wrote:

An engineer working full time for XYZ ltd is not allowed to claim to be
Corgi registered in his own right.

that is *totally* untrue. my brother in law works for a ltd company, a very large
well known gas service firm with a multi million pound turnover, so is obviously
corgi registered. he's also a director of his own limited company and advertises
in Yell with his corgi number. all legal, run through solicitors, accountants, the
tax man, vat man, etc.

I should have said that if he worked for XYZ ltd with corgi number
123456 then he can't use 123456 to sign off jobs that are not done
through XYZ company.

If hes registered with Corgi in his own company name under a different
number 6789 then of course he can use that number to do gas work.

Adrian

Andrew Gabriel ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Wickes used to keep a list of CORGI's who were prepared to do
this for the Halstead boilers they used to sell (and maybe
still do, but I haven't looked recently). Might be worth
trying to get hold of this list if it still exists

If the people on that list are anything like the builders that Wickes
recommended to next-door for building her Wickes conservatory, then I'd
treat that list as useful pre-processing for the Yellow Pages.

Just go through the Yellow Pages and cross anybody off that appears on the
Wickes list.
PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , DavidM
writes

3. Sign off the installation(?)

Sign off an illegal boiler ?

sniped--

geoff

I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm

more
concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for my

own
peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk
David

Yes, but by saying "Sign off", you're expecting someone to be complicit
in breaking the law - putting his signature to an illegal installation

You could say check over I suppose
--
geoff

Why would it be illegal if the BCO has been notified?

Lobster

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:

DavidM wrote:

I would like to find a registered Corgi plumber who will:

snip

Any offers or recommendations?

My recommendation would be that you find a Corgi who will agree to do
all you want BEFORE you embark on self-installing your boiler. My guess
is you'll struggle to find one, big time.

Wickes used to keep a list of CORGI's who were prepared to do
this for the Halstead boilers they used to sell (and maybe
still do, but I haven't looked recently). Might be worth
trying to get hold of this list if it still exists (I think
it was on their "Good Ideas" leaflet for the boilers).

Thanks for the suggestion. Went to Wickes this morning, so checked this
out. They do indeed have a list of suggested CORGIS in the relevant
'Good Ideas' leaflet, but that was several years old, and none of the
firms mentioned was nearer than about 50 miles from me. I asked the
manager about it, and he said they had no other lists.

Wickes are still selling their Halstead boilers - both condensing and
non-condensing varieties, and there's a big sign saying 'must be
installed by a CORGI'. So by implication they must only be selling
direct to CORGI fitters - yeah, right!

David

John Rumm

Martyn Pollard wrote:

allowed to claim to be Corgi registered in his own right. Boiler
manufacturers could void the warranty in this case

This is a bit of a red herring IMHO. If you bought the boiler from a
dealer as a consumer, then it is down to them to honour the warranty -
not the manufacturer. The fact that the manufacturers often take on the
warranty responsibility on behalf of the retailers is more of an
inducement to the dealers than anything else. They may argue the toss,
but so long as you can demonstrate that the boiler was installed as per
the instructions it seems they would have a hard job arguing the case.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

DavidM wrote:

non condensing boiler. The main thing I'm missing is the ability to test for
flue gases. My HW cylinder is fairly new (5 years) and I have some TRVs

Two things spring to mind: Choose a boiler where no setting up or
testing of flue gasses is required (e.g. some of the Ideal wall hung
boilers), or buy a gas analyser. The latter would probably cost less
than getting a man in with one!

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , PM
writes
I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm

more
concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for my

own
peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk
David

Yes, but by saying "Sign off", you're expecting someone to be complicit
in breaking the law - putting his signature to an illegal installation

You could say check over I suppose
--
geoff

Why would it be illegal if the BCO has been notified?

Because, from the first of April this year, with a few exceptions, it
has been illegal to fit a non-condensing boiler

--
geoff
PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , PM
writes
I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm

more
concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for

my
own
peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk
David

Yes, but by saying "Sign off", you're expecting someone to be complicit
in breaking the law - putting his signature to an illegal installation

You could say check over I suppose
--
geoff

Why would it be illegal if the BCO has been notified?

Because, from the first of April this year, with a few exceptions, it
has been illegal to fit a non-condensing boiler

OK, I thought you meant illegal because it was self-installed.

Doctor Drivel

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

Get real. Nanny state? If I was buying house I would want all the services
to current safety standards. If below then they upgrade before the sale.
It prevents flash cowboys from operating. Other countries do it.

One recent poster has asked fro advice on combi that doesn't actually work
after buying a house. He was ripped off, it should have been checked out and
operational.

Lobster

Doctor Drivel wrote:

One recent poster has asked fro advice on combi that doesn't actually
work after buying a house. He was ripped off, it should have been
checked out and operational.

"It should have been checked out"? - no, the buyer should have had it
checked out if she had concerns - caveat emptor and all that. It's a
PITA for the buyer, but I'm quite sure she will paperwork stating that
'the CH system has not been checked and the prospective purchaser should
satisfy themselves it is working before exchanging contracts' or
something, - she's gambled apparently unsuccessfully on saving a few
quid by not having the check done.

If *I* was buying a house I would certainly want to commission my own
inspections of whatever services etc I was concerned about - do you
really think it's OK to rely on a check commissioned by the vendor, who
can commission 3 or 4 inspections and only produce the one which fails
to spot the fundamental flaw which he doesn't *really* want the buyer to
find out about? That's the fundamental problem with this 'buyer's pack'
nonsense.

David
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

There seems to be an endless debate (see the plumbers section of the
Screwfix - http://www.screwfix.com discussion group).
If you ask a plumber (or gas engineer) they will probably say it is

illegal
(but they would of course), others will say all you have to do is prove
competance (eg get Corgi registered!!).
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you

sell
your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for all gas
appliances, issued by a register engineer.
Nanny State and all that grrrrrrrrr
David

Get real. Nanny state? If I was buying house I would want all the services
to current safety standards. If below then they upgrade before the sale.
It prevents flash cowboys from operating. Other countries do it.

If you could afford it, of course ...

Of course, you would walk away and someone else would end up buying the
house, you lost out

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

[...]

Maxie, what are you on about? You have been drinking ale again haven't you?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
DavidM wrote:
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you
sell your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for
all gas appliances, issued by a register engineer.

There must be many thousands of houses on sale with older but perfectly
safe installations.

If this is to be the case, rather than selling with everything untested,
sounds like a nice little earner for some. But of course in a seller's
market the cost will simply be passed on.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
DavidM wrote:
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you
sell your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for
all gas appliances, issued by a register engineer.

There must be many thousands of
houses on sale with older but perfectly
safe installations.

Which excludes yours.

Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A number of postings I have read there even suggest that soon, when you
sell your house, you will have to show a certificate of conformance for
all gas appliances, issued by a register engineer.

There must be many thousands of houses on sale with older but perfectly
safe installations.

If this is to be the case, rather than selling with everything untested,
sounds like a nice little earner for some. But of course in a seller's
market the cost will simply be passed on.

What is the nice little earner is that in rented properties (25% of the
housing stock?) there has to be a gas check *every year*.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Get real. Nanny state? If I was buying house I would want all the
services to current safety standards. If below then they upgrade before
the sale. It prevents flash cowboys from operating. Other countries do
it.

Quite the reverse, IMHO. If services *had* to be upgraded before sale, the
seller is likely to get the very cheapest job done simply for the
certificate.

I'd prefer the reduction in purchase price that can often be negotiated in
such properties and have the job done to my standards and how I want it -
not just some basic level to sell.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before