Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Emulsion paint in aircraft?

Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Regards

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:09:02 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just tape
the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer it into
a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at the
destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting up with
my case.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Don't they sell paint in Ireland?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Paint isn't allowed on a plane, yes I know it's water based but they still
won't allow it as they can't test it.

Even if they did allow it, as it's a liquid it would need to be in 100ml
bottles, my advice: buy it in Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:20:18 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Paint isn't allowed on a plane, yes I know it's water based but they still
won't allow it as they can't test it.

Even if they did allow it, as it's a liquid it would need to be in 100ml
bottles, my advice: buy it in Ireland

No time.

I will be pushed to the limit as it is.

The outlet is 18 miles from the place of work. A trip to the hardware
store is something I'm very familiar with, but it ends up with half
the day gone.

I thought the limits only applied to cabin baggage?

Sadly I have no real alternative available, so if it isn't permitted,
I'll just have to live with it.

I must admit it would be nice to take it to the airport anyway, the
staff there must be getting a bit bored with only confiscating
terminal drivers from me :-)

Anyway thanks for the replies

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Paint isn't allowed on a plane, yes I know it's water based but they still
won't allow it as they can't test it.

Even if they did allow it, as it's a liquid it would need to be in 100ml
bottles, my advice: buy it in Ireland

No time.

I will be pushed to the limit as it is.

The outlet is 18 miles from the place of work. A trip to the hardware
store is something I'm very familiar with, but it ends up with half
the day gone.

I thought the limits only applied to cabin baggage?

Sadly I have no real alternative available, so if it isn't permitted,
I'll just have to live with it.

ship it by courier

I must admit it would be nice to take it to the airport anyway, the
staff there must be getting a bit bored with only confiscating
terminal drivers from me :-)

Anyway thanks for the replies

AB

---

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Only the EU ****e stuff. Not proper British paint.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26-Jun-16 5:09 PM, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?..

Speak to the airline. The CAA rules do not ban water based paints and,
in theory, you don't need permission from the airline, but they may
refuse to carry it if they don't like the way it is packed.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:01:43 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

On 26-Jun-16 5:09 PM, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?..

Speak to the airline. The CAA rules do not ban water based paints and,
in theory, you don't need permission from the airline, but they may
refuse to carry it if they don't like the way it is packed.

I'll do that.

I had a problem some time back with oil filled pressure gauges
dribbling all over my toolbox, so I thought a couple of empty Coke
bottles should take a bar or so pressure difference particularily if I
expel any air.

Thanks

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/16 17:20, Phil L wrote:
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Paint isn't allowed on a plane, yes I know it's water based but they still
won't allow it as they can't test it.

Even if they did allow it, as it's a liquid it would need to be in 100ml
bottles, my advice: buy it in Ireland

Not in hold baggage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Whatever you do, don't let it go in the hold, as they aren't always
pressurised, and the tins will just burst open. When I was gainfully
employed, we would get samples of raw materials from customers for us
to work on, in heavy duty poly bags, several bags together in a large
cardboard box, air-freighted. They invariably arrived with the bags
split open! Maybe holds on passenger aircraft are pressurised, when
the problem probably won't arise, but can you be sure? Awfully messy
if they're not.

It certainly would be awfully messy if the hold were not pressurised;
the cabin floor would collapse. As you say, air freight is different, as
some freight aircraft only have a pressurised cockpit.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Paint isn't allowed on a plane, yes I know it's water based but they still
won't allow it as they can't test it.

Even if they did allow it, as it's a liquid it would need to be in 100ml
bottles, my advice: buy it in Ireland

No time.

I will be pushed to the limit as it is.

The outlet is 18 miles from the place of work. A trip to the hardware
store is something I'm very familiar with, but it ends up with half
the day gone.

I thought the limits only applied to cabin baggage?

They do. You can take more in hold luggage.

That said, most airlines have a justifiable abhorrence to carrying anything
that might burst or leak all over other customers luggage so even if it's
safe, it'll almost certainly be refused.

Phone the airline for gospel rather than rely on misinformation here.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim+ Wrote in message:

Phone the airline for gospel rather than rely on misinformation here.

+2

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Phil L

buy it in Ireland

No time.

Can't you get someone at the other side to buy the paint ready for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:09:02 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just tape
the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer it into
a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at the
destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting up with
my case.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Don't they sell paint in Ireland?

Agreed. Even if the lid will take the lower air pressures in flight
without popping off! I once made the mistake of taking toffee apples on
a flight. They turned to mush as a result of being frozen in the hold
and it took hours to washout the suitcase, even though I had plastic
bagged them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/26/2016 7:09 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Anyone got any experience of transporting paint in an aircraft?

I know it isn't going to be allowed in hand baggage, but what is the
best way of transporting it in a suitcase?

I want to take 2.5 litres of emulsion to Cork next month do I just
tape the lid and stick it in the case or would it be best to transfer
it into a couple of plastic bottles?

From past experience tools and materials have not always ended up at
the destination airport so I wat to minimise the risk of not meeting
up with my case.

Whatever you do, don't let it go in the hold, as they aren't always
pressurised, and the tins will just burst open. When I was gainfully
employed, we would get samples of raw materials from customers for us
to work on, in heavy duty poly bags, several bags together in a large
cardboard box, air-freighted. They invariably arrived with the bags
split open! Maybe holds on passenger aircraft are pressurised, when
the problem probably won't arise, but can you be sure? Awfully messy
if they're not.

It certainly would be awfully messy if the hold were not pressurised;
the cabin floor would collapse. As you say, air freight is different,
as some freight aircraft only have a pressurised cockpit.

What happened to that Turkish DC-10 in 1979, if memory serves.

Cargo door came off, floor movement trapped or damaged control cables
and/or hydraulics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:08:32 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Phil L

buy it in Ireland

No time.

Can't you get someone at the other side to buy the paint ready for you?

I agree.

I'll second that emulsion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Phil L

buy it in Ireland

No time.

Can't you get someone at the other side to buy the paint ready for you?

I agree.

I'll second that emulsion.

Here's your top coat ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

From experience, coke bottles (2 litre) will certainly take being hit
hard with a thrown brick while pressurised to 125 psi (testing for
safety when making air powered, high-flow water pistols for Run to the
Sun 20-odd years ago).

It'd be interesting to know how much they actually can take. I remember
reading that the "iconic" glass ones were way over specified and could
actually take 900 psi!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

I once made the mistake of taking toffee apples on a flight.

So they don't sell toffee apples in Bangkok then ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26-Jun-16 11:11 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
From experience, coke bottles (2 litre) will certainly take being hit
hard with a thrown brick while pressurised to 125 psi (testing for
safety when making air powered, high-flow water pistols for Run to the
Sun 20-odd years ago).

It'd be interesting to know how much they actually can take. I remember
reading that the "iconic" glass ones were way over specified and could
actually take 900 psi!

The industry standard requires them to withstand 150psi. Obviously, that
will be a minimum and they will probably take a lot more.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/27/2016 9:14 AM, Nightjar wrote:
On 26-Jun-16 11:11 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
From experience, coke bottles (2 litre) will certainly take being hit
hard with a thrown brick while pressurised to 125 psi (testing for
safety when making air powered, high-flow water pistols for Run to the
Sun 20-odd years ago).

It'd be interesting to know how much they actually can take. I remember
reading that the "iconic" glass ones were way over specified and could
actually take 900 psi!

The industry standard requires them to withstand 150psi. Obviously, that
will be a minimum and they will probably take a lot more.

Doesn't that imply that a two litre one could potentially contain as
much stored energy as the smallest statutory pressure vessel (at least
when there's not much liquid)? ICBA to look up the actual figures.

Admittedly they split rather than fragment, and don't contain much mass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 5:55:08 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Don't they sell paint in Ireland?

Only the EU ****e stuff. Not proper British paint.

--
Adam

What ? Britain isn't in the EU?

Twill be for a while yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of wanting to take paint samples to cork
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 5:00:47 PM UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode as we ascended. I would imagine the paint pot might suffer the same on the way up, depending how fill it was to start with. There is no guarantee which way up the pot will fly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of
wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode as we ascended.

Seems unlikely given that despite pressurisation cabin pressure *drops*
with altitude.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of wanting

to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode
as we ascended. I would imagine the paint pot might suffer the same on
the way up, depending how fill it was to start with. There is no guarantee
which way up the pot will fly.

Surely the pressure in the aircraft *reduces* when you go up, the
cabin is pressurised but not to full atmospheric pressure at sea
level. So the bottle (and paint cans) should explode when you go up.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of
wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode as we ascended.

Seems unlikely given that despite pressurisation cabin pressure *drops*
with altitude.

Probably imploded on the way down. ;-)
Tim

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 31/10/2016 19:22, Chris Green wrote:
On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode
as we ascended.

I think I am right in saying the cabin is pressurised but not to `sea
level` pressure, as you drunk some en route and then sealed it then the
pressure around it would increase as it descends to sea level and
therefore make the bottle implode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 6:28:38 PM UTC, ss wrote:
On 31/10/2016 19:22, Chris Green wrote:
On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode
as we ascended.

I think I am right in saying the cabin is pressurised but not to `sea
level` pressure, as you drunk some en route and then sealed it then the
pressure around it would increase as it descends to sea level and
therefore make the bottle implode.

darn, sleepy post, it was the escape of air when I opened the bottle on the way up that drew my attention to the change in air pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

On 31/10/2016 19:22, Chris Green wrote:
On a flight from Guernsey I noticed the half drunk bottle of water implode
as we ascended.

I think I am right in saying the cabin is pressurised but not to `sea
level` pressure, as you drunk some en route and then sealed it then the
pressure around it would increase as it descends to sea level and
therefore make the bottle implode.

Reminds me of the time I had a flight in a Short 330, which had
the feel of being little more than a Leyland National with wings.

Boiled sweets were handed round before take-off and landing,
intended to promote swallowing and hence ease the discomfort on
our ears. Being unpressurised they couldn't gain much height to
get above the weather.

The interior trim panels were covered with sticky-backed plastic,
and, as the plane gained height, little bubbles appeared as it
lifted off the backing. On descent, it all shrank back again.

It amused me that the flight deck was so small that each pilot
had his own sliding door, through which his in-flight cuppa was
duly passed.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/16 08:17, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Reminds me of the time I had a flight in a Short 330, which had
the feel of being little more than a Leyland National with wings.

Boiled sweets were handed round before take-off and landing,
intended to promote swallowing and hence ease the discomfort on
our ears. Being unpressurised they couldn't gain much height to
get above the weather.

The interior trim panels were covered with sticky-backed plastic,
and, as the plane gained height, little bubbles appeared as it
lifted off the backing. On descent, it all shrank back again.

It amused me that the flight deck was so small that each pilot
had his own sliding door, through which his in-flight cuppa was
duly passed.

No disabled access then? Tsk Tsk.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 17:00, Fredxxx wrote:
On 31/10/2016 14:43, wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:18:46 UTC, wrote:
Did you get an answer to this I am now in the same possition of
wanting to take paint samples to cork

many.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PZ-uhGLKloI

Except the consensus was to phone the airline!

I have a US boat ... and to get colour coded gel coat patch paste ....
it is a real pain.
Banned from airline luggage and normal shipping.
Has to be shipped as 'Hazardous material' and shipping then costs
about 3 x value of goods.

Then good old customs & excise puts 20% on top .... and then courier
adds a £20 fee for collecting the duty ..... makes a £30 pot damn
expensive by time I get it.

The stuff is consistency of toothpaste and in a small 2oz pot in a
sealed package - far less risk that a 1L bottle of whisky ... but it is
classed as Hazardous and to take it on a plane is a Federal Offence.

Ship it - at least you won't have to pay duty. Or take the Ferry to Cork.

types of emulsion paint Fred UK diy 32 August 5th 18 12:12 AM
removing emulsion paint? AL_n UK diy 7 December 18th 15 09:20 PM
Emulsion paint soup UK diy 5 September 29th 09 12:16 AM
Putting emulsion on paint [email protected] UK diy 6 January 15th 08 08:43 PM
Nitromors & emulsion paint Woody UK diy 2 September 26th 05 03:17 PM