Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good battery drill

Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Erme - there was one in Lidl when I went in on Saturday, as it happens.
No need to wait then.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:36:48 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Erme - there was one in Lidl when I went in on Saturday, as it happens.
No need to wait then.

Nick

I bought an Aldi one for a quick job away from home. Light duty, and a
one off job, so I didn't want to spend cash on a duplicating something
I had back home.

The Aldi cost 55 Euro, the Bosch I had to buy to replace it cost 150
Euro. I should have just gone ahead and bought the Bosch.

The Aldi device was a pain to use anyway, prior to the speed control
burning out, the chuck just would not remain in place.

The thing had very light use, so it wasn't wear & tear or any kind of
abuse that was the problem.

Now I just go branded, the last power tools I bought were Makita. They
cost more but it's comforting to know the things will last a while.

Even for none professional use, the time and hassle involve trying to
source replacement tools at short notice is something I can do
without.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:21:28 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

I'm giving a Bosch PSR14.4Li some serious hassle at the moment - and it's
really taking it well. Very, very impressed with it.

It had a bit of a charging sulk - but Bosch were superb in their
response, sent a courier to collect it, tested it, replaced the battery,
and couriered it back in short order.

Looks like it's been superceded with the 14.4Li-2, but a quick google
suggests about £80 is about right.

Or... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L208DK6
"Just launched" seller. shrug
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:12:01 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Looks like it's been superceded with the 14.4Li-2

Looks like the difference is a 2-speed gearbox. I don't much miss that on
mine, because it's variable-speed from the trigger anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:12:01 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:21:28 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

I'm giving a Bosch PSR14.4Li some serious hassle at the moment - and it's
really taking it well. Very, very impressed with it.

It had a bit of a charging sulk - but Bosch were superb in their
response, sent a courier to collect it, tested it, replaced the battery,
and couriered it back in short order.

Looks like it's been superceded with the 14.4Li-2, but a quick google
suggests about £80 is about right.

Or... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L208DK6
"Just launched" seller. shrug

I'll never forget I had some hassle with a stupid pratt on security at
a certain large company.

I didn't have a pass for my works Bosch drill

After an hour of total stupidity from the cretin, I left my Bosch on
site. I was amazed at the effort needed to destroy the thing. I wasn't
just going to bin a working drill, so the scumbag could grab it for
personal use, so I made sure it was not useable. It took major effort,
the thing was built like a tank.

It was not my finest hour, with hindsight I should have pandered to
the idiots ego, but it did leave me with a tremendous impression of
the build quality of Bosch tools.

I went Makita because they did a right angled power drill, I was
impressed so I bought their multi tool. Again good solid stuff, feels
right and works o/k.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-06-26 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Drill... (or screwdriver) lightweight.

I have two of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powe...catno/BDCS361/

Fine for drilling small holes in wood and plaster. The gyro drive isn't
everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's fantastic (especially for
constricted spaces).

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Something like:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-d...ag-hp330-td090

Very light and portable, but still punches quite hard

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:45:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Something like:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-d...ag-hp330-td090

Very light and portable, but still punches quite hard

10.8V seem to be at least as good as 12V were only a few years ago. I've a
Bosch pro drill-driver and it's very good.
I'd suggest just a 10.8V Makita or blue Bosch combi would be ideal for light
use. The impact driver is a bit OTT - I've used mine rarely, though it's
been good at removing stuck/rusted in screws.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You probably bought a nicad battery one, all the lithium batteries
"taurus drills from aldi that I have seen have been excellent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2016 07:26, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:45:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Something like:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-d...ag-hp330-td090

Very light and portable, but still punches quite hard

10.8V seem to be at least as good as 12V were only a few years ago. I've a
Bosch pro drill-driver and it's very good.
I'd suggest just a 10.8V Makita or blue Bosch combi would be ideal for light
use. The impact driver is a bit OTT - I've used mine rarely, though it's
been good at removing stuck/rusted in screws.

Since it adds little to the cost to get the pair, it seems sensible to
do it. You can work faster if you are not swapping bits back and fourth
into the drill.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/27/2016 7:26 AM, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:45:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/06/2016 16:21, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

Something like:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-d...ag-hp330-td090

Very light and portable, but still punches quite hard

10.8V seem to be at least as good as 12V were only a few years ago. I've a
Bosch pro drill-driver and it's very good.
I'd suggest just a 10.8V Makita or blue Bosch combi would be ideal for light
use. The impact driver is a bit OTT - I've used mine rarely, though it's
been good at removing stuck/rusted in screws.

I *used* to think that about impact drivers, but now I am completely
converted. You do need to buy the better quality bits, though. (I
actually have the 14.4 volt NiCad Makita which is quite cheap as NiCads
are going out of fashion).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 June 2016 16:21:43 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

I would like to petition Parliament that we ask that Christmas day no longer be a religious observance and to rename it Good Battery Drill Day instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 26 June 2016 16:21:43 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

I would like to petition Parliament that we ask that Christmas day no
longer be a religious observance and to rename it Good Battery Drill Day
instead.

Why don't you do so? It's very easy, just follow the instructions in the
following link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/check

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:38:26 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

Even with a drill-driver, I tend to check the screws/finally tweak them by
'hand'. I'm soon going to be fastening down some 9mm OSB - I don't want an
ID ramming screws through that! Also, the screws are 80mmx4mm st. st., so
pilot hole and go gently - even 6mm st. st. is a bit delicate.

I can see the use of an ID for decking or heavy timbers, but the 12V Mak or
10.8V Bosch is capable of screwing through floorboards if clumsily used.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 June 2016 18:00:55 UTC+1, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 26 June 2016 16:21:43 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking
for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all
suggestions welcomed.

I would like to petition Parliament that we ask that Christmas day no
longer be a religious observance and to rename it Good Battery Drill Day
instead.

Why don't you do so? It's very easy, just follow the instructions in the
following link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/check

Wanting Doing, but thanks for the link.