Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default PVR Choice

Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Well I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2 and it seems to do all of that.

If you want a cheapie to play with look for a ex-TalkTalk Huawei
DN370T You View box. It is by no means the quickest box in the world -
you can easily fall asleep waiting for a full start-up - but it works
and gives a good picture. The only catch is that there is no manual
tune on it, auto only, which can be a bit of a bind if you can receive
more than one transmitter. Should be able to pick one up boxed in new
condition for about £40.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 17:13, Woody wrote:
"Chris J wrote in message
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Well I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2 and it seems to do all of that.

+1

Not sure whether it's still a current model, though.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now and
again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and some
isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

Jim
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:54:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

I think the Humax HDR-2000T for £159 is the nearest:
http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/freevie...gb-496e73.html .
They also have some refurbished models for less, including 1TB ones.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

This Humax made BT box works well for us, the YouView+ software looks
very well done with good integration with internet based catchup services.

BT YouView+ Smart 500GB Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder - £129.99

http://www.johnlewis.com/bt-youview-...?sku=233226371

Not noticed instability with timing clashes, but it's locked down for
things like extraction.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Indy Jess John wrote:

On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now and
again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and some
isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

No, it's worse than that Jim, I've just had to use humaxrw to
recover my recordings after the record list disappeared -
apparently not uncommon. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive

I doubt you'll find anything else

* Freeview HD capable

You definitively won't find anything else

* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)

ditto (assuming 2 or more)

* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.

ditto

* SCART socket for legacy equipment.

You'll struggle with this

* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.

what does this mean?

* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

Te He

tim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

.. .
wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs) * Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

I think the Humax HDR-2000T for £159 is the nearest:

159GBP for a 500Gb disk and it doesn't even have WiFi

They're aving a larf

tim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Chris J wrote in message
[...]

+2.

And add the Customised Firmware, and it's an even better unit.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"tim..." wrote in message
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.

what does this mean?

I imagine it means that the PVR acts as an SMB server to allow network
access from other devices to recorded files using the \\pvr\recording.ts
notation.

Assuming that recordings are accessible to be copied off the PVR, what
format are they usually recorded in? Something industry standard like MPG,
MP4 or TS, with the appropriate MPEG2 (SD) or H264 (HD) codec?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.

what does this mean?

I imagine it means that the PVR acts as an SMB server to allow network
access from other devices to recorded files using the \\pvr\recording.ts
notation.

Assuming that recordings are accessible to be copied off the PVR, what
format are they usually recorded in? Something industry standard like MPG,
MP4 or TS, with the appropriate MPEG2 (SD) or H264 (HD) codec?

I know of no current consumer PVR "boxes" that enable the copying of
recorded programs onto external media.

The Ethernet connection is there to provide for a link to a router so that
whatever web browsing capabilities are built into the box can be used.

USB connects are read-only for playback of stuff you have generated
elsewhere (and presumably SW updates).

Obviously, there are PC based software solutions that do enable programs to
be copied to external media

and there are some TVs that have a USB output that you can "record" onto but
they don't have multiple tuners and will only record the program that you
are (nominally) watching. No idea if the format is readable by other
equipment.

Happy for someone to find me a box that will copy to external media. My SD
one's getting a bit dodgy.

tim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 19:14:40 +0100
"tim..." wrote:

I know of no current consumer PVR "boxes" that enable the copying of
recorded programs onto external media.

The Ethernet connection is there to provide for a link to a router so
that whatever web browsing capabilities are built into the box can be
used.

USB connects are read-only for playback of stuff you have generated
elsewhere (and presumably SW updates).

The USB connections on my Humax Fox T-2 allow copying of programmes
recorded on it to the USB device. The programmes are also decrypted
before copying.

With the Customised Firmware, the internet connection allows
bi-directional transfer of recordings to and from the PVR and a PC.
Programmes on the PVR need to be decrypted before transfer if they are
to be watchable on other devices.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"tim..." wrote in message
I know of no current consumer PVR "boxes" that enable the copying of
recorded programs onto external media.

The Ethernet connection is there to provide for a link to a router so that
whatever web browsing capabilities are built into the box can be used.

Ah, so the Ethernet connection is F-all use, then :-)

I presume there's nothing to stop the PVR being flashed with firmware that
can copy recordings off the disk - assuming that they are saved in a generic
rather than proprietary and encrypted format.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
news:IcadnbNIMqNaufHKnZ2dnUU78bfNnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.

what does this mean?

I imagine it means that the PVR acts as an SMB server to allow network
access from other devices to recorded files using the \\pvr\recording.ts
notation.

Assuming that recordings are accessible to be copied off the PVR, what
format are they usually recorded in? Something industry standard like MPG,
MP4 or TS, with the appropriate MPEG2 (SD) or H264 (HD) codec?

I know of no current consumer PVR "boxes" that enable the copying of
recorded programs onto external media.

Well not currently made but still occasionally available the Topfield
does (USB to computer hard drive). But no HD.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

A refurbished Topfield

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive

Yes
* Freeview HD capable

No
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)

Yes
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.

Yes

* SCART socket for legacy equipment.

No

* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.

Don't know, I think they have some FTP/Ethernet capability

* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

Yes - with MyStuff software can set adjacent timers to be merged.

How close to this can I now get?

I've just replaced someone's Humax with a TF5800 for these stability
and not so hard features. They didn't need HD but wanted to be able
to get recordings onto their computer for archive purposes.

I don't know why the major manufacturers haven't cottoned on to what
the Toppy enthusiasts have done and either employed them or copied
their ideas.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 18:15, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now and
again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and some
isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

No, it's worse than that Jim, I've just had to use humaxrw to
recover my recordings after the record list disappeared -
apparently not uncommon. :-(

Chris

No wonder you are looking for a replacement.

The worst thing that happened to me was when I filled the disc up, and
over-filled it. The index for the recordings that were overwritten said
the recording was there, but the playback was of various segments of
later recordings. I managed to save a lot of recordings, but not all.

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 17:13:57 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:
[...]

That's what I've got, but it's no longer available, unless you want
to look on eBay for a second hand one. The HDR-2000T seems to do much
the same, which is why I suggested it.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.

That one is going to very drastically limit your choices now.

* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:54:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax 9200T,
and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the time has
now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some of the
more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive * Freeview HD capable * Record
2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

If you're planning on being able to transfer the media files to a
desktop PC to convert from TS to PS and top and tail the intro/outro
paddings, you might be better off cutting out the middleman by installing
a DVB-T (or, if you can afford it, a DVB-T2) adapter (PCI card or a USB
tuner (or three)) into your PC and use Linux as the host OS (with windows
VMs if needed).

You can either use MythTV (rather tricky to set up and uses a ten foot
interface) or, for a quick start, make sure Kaffeine is installed so you
can manually pick out the week's scheduled recordings from the EPG
without regard to padding conflicts between channels from within any
given MUX - you'll need more than just a single tuner if any conflicting
recordings are on different MUXes.

I'm using a twin tuner KWorld DVB-T adapter but since I rarely record
any "Bait Programmes" from the commercial SD MUXes, the second tuner is
overkill for 99.9% of my usage (I only bother recording the Beeb's SD
channels which, all rather conveniently, reside within a single MUX)[1].

When you're recording BBC programmes, especially BBC4 programmes, you
need to be a bit of a control freak. Kaffeine is essentially a control
freak's wet dream when it comes to BBC SD FreeView broadcasts (use as
much padding as you like, you can choose anything and everything in the
BBC SD MUX without *any* regard to padding or scheduling conflicts - even
to the extent that when the epg changes to show two back to back
programmes have been switched around but with each programme occupying
*both* time slots, you simply schedule both of them to record in each
time slot so you can determine *after* the fact which were the misnamed
duplicates to be deleted - a "Shoot First. Ask Questions Later." approach
when you can't be arsed to verify via the BBC's listings page the true
nature of the change. :-)

The only 'Gotcha' with using Kaffeine as a DVR is the need to put it
into 'Live View' mode for a few minutes at least once a week (preferably
more often if you want to catch any last minute changes) in order to
update the latest EPG changes. It doesn't update the EPG list when only
being used for scheduled recording.

You can schedule a series of programmes which reliably repeat on a
regular basis such as Eggheads (6pm Monday to Friday on BBC2) but this is
based only on a timed schedule - no accurate start based on flag data, so
not proof against the BBC's schedulers free and easy attitude to
programme scheduling so it's best to cast an eye over the epg listings
after a 5 minute live viewing every so often to watch out for any last
minute changes.

For a control freak like me, this isn't a major problem but for those
who don't fancy all this hands on approach, MythTV may be a better
solution. However, MythTV *is* very complicated to set up whereas
Kaffeine 'Just Works'.

Even if you're planning on setting up MythTV, there's no reason why you
can't have Kaffeine installed as a quick start / intro / emergency TV
recorder app for when MythTV throws a wobbler. Usually, when you do have
a 'Belt and Braces' solution set up, the belt never fails. :-)

Incidentally, ever since I started using Kaffeine, I've never watched
*so little* 'Live TV' ever since the days back at the turn of the century
when I started using my desktop PC to view analogue transmissions (but
not record them - it either needed an expensive analogue TV tuner with
built in MPG2 encoder hardware or else a very high spec, for the time, PC
to handle the one GB per 10 minutes' worth of uncompressed recordings to
be later processed into compact MPG2 files) and later, around 2005/2006,
when DVB-T transmissions eliminated the need for a high spec PC and tuner
to record TV programmes. The basic TV windows based recording software
supplied with all of the DVB-T adapters I purchased forced you to watch
'Live' (you could minimise the DTVR window but the 'TV Sound' couldn't be
muted separately from other sound sources so you generally watched
whatever you were recording anyway).

With Kaffeine, scheduled recordings truly are done as a hidden and
silent task. However, each of the TV files can be watched as soon as they
appear in the file manager's window (Dolphin in the case of Linux Mint
KDE 64 Rebecca), usually a matter of a second or two after the start of
the recording.

You can watch right up until the end of the recording even when the file
is only a few megabytes in size and showing as a ten second recording.
The player simply carries on playing past the total timeline point
reached at the moment of initial access by the player software (VLC
player by default in my customised case). This was something that was
simply impossible with DTVR running in windows. You were forced to wait
for the recording to finish before you could start watching it. The
change from DTVR to Kaffeine was like being released from a straight
jacket! :-)

[1] I'm still waiting on a Linux compatible DVB-T2 adapter to become
available at sub 50 quid pricing. The last time I checked, a month or two
back, I couldn't find even a windows compatible tuner for less than a
hundred quid! :-( What's worse is that BBC4 is on the COM7 HD MUX,
seperate from BBC1, BBC2 and CBBC HD channels which reside on the BBC B
HD MUX so I'll need a twin DVB-T2 tuner (or a pair of DVB-T2 tuners -
PCI, PCIe or USB2 adapters).

It's just as well that I'm not in a mad hurry to upgrade to Freeview HD.
Hopefully, the prices of DVB-T2 adapters will drop out of the
stratosphere in a few years time.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2 and it seems to do all of that.

That's what I've got, but it's no longer available, unless you want
to look on eBay for a second hand one.

I bought a Humax 9300 from ebay, described as "Seller Refurbished"
(Basically disc given the Format command, software given a Factory Reset
and dusted inside and out).

It worked perfectly and it was remarkably cheap.
If you really want a Fox-T2 is is certainly worth a look, even if you
eventually choose not to buy.

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Find a Humax Fox-T2 and put the customised firmware on it.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I picked up anew one on Ebay a few weeks ago...

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 11:17:30 +0100
F news@nowhere wrote:

[...]

Thank you for repeating my suggestion of yesterday. It must be the
right answer!

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
This Humax made BT box works well for us, the YouView+ software looks
very well done with good integration with internet based catchup
services.

BT YouView+ Smart 500GB Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder - £129.99

I've got one of those - quite an early one supplied at a knock down price
as part of a BT package some years ago.

It does what it says on the tin - although I still prefer the software on
my ancient Toppy.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now
and again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and
some isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

No, it's worse than that Jim, I've just had to use humaxrw to
recover my recordings after the record list disappeared -
apparently not uncommon. :-(

Was the HD near full?

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2016 11:38, Davey wrote:

Thank you for repeating my suggestion of yesterday. It must be the
right answer!

It is. You have the answer patented?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Freeview's poor picture quality on many channels made me consider
satellite rather than Freeview, as I am told the picture quality
on most satellite channels there is better than Freeview's SD.

The channels which show old stuff are often restricted by the source
material - rather than just the FreeView data rate. Old stuff - even if
made on film, which should still be pretty good - is often dubbed from an
analogue tape of the film.

I've got satellite here, and the difference isn't that great, if any.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2016 16:55, F wrote:
On 24/06/2016 11:38, Davey wrote:

Thank you for repeating my suggestion of yesterday. It must be the
right answer!

It is. You have the answer patented?

Copyrighted.

(C) Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 17:25, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now and
again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and some
isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

Jim

My 9200 is just becoming annoyingly SLOW.
It takes up to 15 seconds to respond to the remote control.
I have cleaned the dust from the from of the main box
(seems to affect the infra red noticibly) and fitted
new batteries.

If it is left on ITV for more than an hour, it is impossible
to change channels, as if the processor is so busy decoding
video and writing to disk that it cannot devote any time
to actioning commands from the remote. Switching from BBC
is instantaneous though.

I suppose the disk could be writing errors and spending too much
time dodging bad sectors, but I don't know how to prove that
(or correct it).

Bought 2006 and it has been running almost permanently since then.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/16 20:19, pamela wrote:
On 17:30 24 Jun 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Freeview's poor picture quality on many channels made me
consider satellite rather than Freeview, as I am told the
picture quality on most satellite channels there is better than
Freeview's SD.

The channels which show old stuff are often restricted by the
source material - rather than just the FreeView data rate. Old
stuff - even if made on film, which should still be pretty good
- is often dubbed from an analogue tape of the film.

I've got satellite here, and the difference isn't that great, if
any.

I'm assuming the programe material is HD.

So the difference between satellite and Freeview SD isn't that great?
I thought most English language channels on Astra are closer to HD
than SD.

No, I am fairly sure the modulation schemas are either SD or HD and
that's that.

Nothing in between.

And no Bluray quality yet

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2016 19:32, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 15:16:22 +0100
wrote:

Yes, you can still buy them but it is no longer manufactured by Humax.

Who is it made by?

My interpretation of that was that it is no longer *made* (by anyone)
but there are still some around, rather than it now being made by
someone else.

But I could be wrong.
--
Cheers,
Roger

You Have A Choice... jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 9th 15 06:31 AM
TV choice harryagain[_2_] UK diy 1 October 30th 13 03:55 PM
Is there a third choice? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 23rd 11 02:35 PM
Saw choice Dave[_36_] Woodworking 21 June 29th 09 07:04 PM
Saw choice Giles Woodturning 11 January 26th 05 10:50 PM