Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default PVR Choice

On 24/06/2016 18:17, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/06/2016 16:55, F wrote:
On 24/06/2016 11:38, Davey wrote:

Thank you for repeating my suggestion of yesterday. It must be the
right answer!

It is. You have the answer patented?

Copyrighted.

(C) Bill

That's the word I was looking for!

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 21:25:10 +0100
Roger Mills wrote:

On 24/06/2016 19:32, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 15:16:22 +0100
wrote:

Yes, you can still buy them but it is no longer manufactured by
Humax.

Who is it made by?

My interpretation of that was that it is no longer *made* (by anyone)
but there are still some around, rather than it now being made by
someone else.

Could be. Only Yellow can tell us.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 23/06/2016 17:25, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 23/06/2016 16:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

If your 9200 is annoying you with the clock changing to --/--/-- now and
again, that is easily repairable with a Philips screwdriver and some
isopropyl alcohol.

I have some instructions here somewhere if you want them.

Jim

My 9200 is just becoming annoyingly SLOW.
It takes up to 15 seconds to respond to the remote control.
I have cleaned the dust from the from of the main box
(seems to affect the infra red noticibly) and fitted
new batteries.

If it is left on ITV for more than an hour, it is impossible
to change channels, as if the processor is so busy decoding
video and writing to disk that it cannot devote any time
to actioning commands from the remote. Switching from BBC
is instantaneous though.

I suppose the disk could be writing errors and spending too much
time dodging bad sectors, but I don't know how to prove that
(or correct it).

Take the drive out and put it in desktop system and get a SMART report
on the drive. That will show if it has bad sectors on it. Likely it has.

Bought 2006 and it has been running almost permanently since then.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:54:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Once more I am sorting out my increasingly temperamental Humax
9200T, and am looking at moving on to the next generation.

Last time I asked, I decided to stick with it, but I think the
time has now come.

It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some
of the more useful functions of the older designs.

If I list a few simple desires:
* At least 500MB, ideally 1TB Hard Drive
* Freeview HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)
* Start watching a programme that is being recorded.
* SCART socket for legacy equipment.
* Ethernet port, with no silly router password constraints.
* Cope with padding on adjacent programmes without falling over.

How close to this can I now get?

Chris

I've just been through a similar exercise myself.

Originally I looked at a Humax refurbished unit
(http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html)(my pricepoint) but
eventually plumpted for a BT Youview+ box. Sure, it's Youview not
Freeview but it does everything it says on the box!
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
I've got satellite here, and the difference isn't that great, if
any.

I'm assuming the programe material is HD.

Right. So a very restricted number of channels. My satellite receiver is
HD too. Again not a vast difference, if any.

So the difference between satellite and Freeview SD isn't that great?
I thought most English language channels on Astra are closer to HD
than SD.

There are some channels that are on HD on satellite but not Freeview.

Bust again it does depend if they are showing genuine HD programmes.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
iew HD capable
* Record 2 programmes whilst watching a third live (on limited
MUXs)

The HUMAX FVP-4000T can be had as 500GB or 1TB and has 3 freeview HD
tuners so can record 3 channels whilst watching a 4th provided it is on a
MUX that is already being recorded from (the review below says it is
possible to record 4 channels and watch a 5th).

see:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-fvp-4000t-review

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2016 21:54, AnthonyL wrote:

Well not currently made but still occasionally available the Topfield
does (USB to computer hard drive). But no HD.

Enigma 2 boxes allow recording to USB stick/drives or by way of Ethernet
to a network drive.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Enigma$202$20uk.tech.digital-tv/uk.tech.digital-tv/3HV23gxds3Q/SdO78-hrLgAJ

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2016 11:06, alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2016 21:54, AnthonyL wrote:

Well not currently made but still occasionally available the Topfield
does (USB to computer hard drive). But no HD.

Enigma 2 boxes allow recording to USB stick/drives or by way of Ethernet
to a network drive.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Enigma$202$20uk.tech.digital-tv/uk.tech.digital-tv/3HV23gxds3Q/SdO78-hrLgAJ

Many of the Enigma 2 type boxes manufacturers have recently announced
new models supporting 4K content so some of the current HD boxes may
start coming down in price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2016 11:21, T i m wrote:

(considering how few channels are HD (or
weren't, the last time I looked ..)) ...

Some SD channels are now only on HD MUXs and it's likely that sometime
soon many more SD channels will require a T2 tuner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/16 15:17, alan_m wrote:
On 26/06/2016 11:21, T i m wrote:

(considering how few channels are HD (or
weren't, the last time I looked ..)) ...

Some SD channels are now only on HD MUXs and it's likely that sometime
soon many more SD channels will require a T2 tuner.

Tell me about it. Film4+1....

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Point of order though: What's best, something that works, is flexible
but doesn't support HD (considering how few channels are HD (or
weren't, the last time I looked ..)) ...

The most popular by far channels are all HD. Those that aren't can't
afford to because of so few viewers.

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:04:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Point of order though: What's best, something that works, is flexible
but doesn't support HD (considering how few channels are HD (or
weren't, the last time I looked ..)) ...

The most popular by far channels are all HD. Those that aren't can't
afford to because of so few viewers.

Thanks. I don't have HD anything nor a TV big enough to appreciate it.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

No, it's worse than that Jim, I've just had to use humaxrw to
recover my recordings after the record list disappeared -
apparently not uncommon. :-(

Was the HD near full?

No, there was about 40% free.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

You Have A Choice... jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 9th 15 06:31 AM
TV choice harryagain[_2_] UK diy 1 October 30th 13 03:55 PM
Is there a third choice? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 23rd 11 02:35 PM
Saw choice Dave[_36_] Woodworking 21 June 29th 09 07:04 PM
Saw choice Giles Woodturning 11 January 26th 05 10:50 PM