Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just having a ponder...

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
- and it's also the view of most of
the economists around the world.

Who almost universally proclaimed that Britain would be best inside
the eurozone. And we know how wrong they were about that.

Ah yes. Forgot about that - sorry. Must be why we joined the Eurozone. As
everyone thought it a good idea.

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
DJC wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned about 2059 since I won't be around then.

But I am concerned about the near future. And not just for myself but
for the majority. The very rich don't need my concern - they are
always the last to suffer.

So you don't have children, or grandchildren?

If you want to project generations in time...

My father was in two WW both started in Europe.

I'm about the age he was when he died, and although born during WW2 don't
remember it. And although there has been some conflict within Europe in my
lifetime, nothing like on the same scale.

And nothing within the EU.

I'd like my children and grandchildren to be able to say the same.

And I'd not be foolish enough to predict how well an independant UK might
do in 40 years time or whatever. And anyone who thinks they can is simply
deluded.

But I'm pretty certain the short to medium term outlook for the economy
will be bleak if we leave, as that's what has started to happen already
with just the threat it might happen - and it's also the view of most of
the economists around the world.

Long term we'll be fine. Tell'em where to go. Have some balls FFS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

- and it's also the view of most of
the economists around the world.

Who almost universally proclaimed that Britain would be best inside
the eurozone. And we know how wrong they were about that.

Ah yes. Forgot about that - sorry. Must be why we joined
the Eurozone. As everyone thought it a good idea.

Britain had enough of a clue to ignore them.

And it should be doing the same when they predict
that Britain will suffer economically outside the EU
too, because they clearly don’t have a ****ing clue.

NOT ONE of them predicted the spectacular implosion
of much of the world financial system in 2008 either.

Yet more evidence that they don’t actually have a
****ing clue about the basics and that should just
be ignored now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
- and it's also the view of most of
the economists around the world.

Who almost universally proclaimed that Britain would be best inside
the eurozone. And we know how wrong they were about that.

Ah yes. Forgot about that - sorry. Must be why we joined the Eurozone. As
everyone thought it a good idea.

No they didn't, you find someone who voted to be in, very difficult to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
**** snipped
**** off Wodney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
bm wrote:
But I'm pretty certain the short to medium term outlook for the
economy will be bleak if we leave, as that's what has started to
happen already with just the threat it might happen - and it's also
the view of most of the economists around the world.

Long term we'll be fine. Tell'em where to go. Have some balls FFS.

Yup. It's what worries me. The decision fuelled by hormones rather than
reason.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2016 09:54, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)

And nothing within the EU.

I'd like my children and grandchildren to be able to say the same.

Who wouldn't. But don't confuse lack of fighting with absence of war.
After all, if we'd not declared war on Hitler, or surrendered when he
asked us to, there'd have been no WW2. See - we'd have had peace! So
obviously us doing neither of those things was a big mistake.

You have short memories. In 1990-99 Europe had a very nasty
civil war in what was Yugoslavia.

The EU was utterley and totally incapable of doing anything
apart from sending in some 'peace keepers'. And we know what
the dutch peacekeepers did to 'keep the peace'.

It wasn't until Nato (with US firepower) arrived were the
Russian-backed serbs (and quite possibly Chinese backed *)
beaten into a cease-fire.

(*) The Chinese embassy in Serbia? was 'accidentally' bombed
by the USA. I suspect this was no accident if they had been
supplying arms or involved in some other nefarious activity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
And nothing within the EU.

I'd like my children and grandchildren to be able to say the same.

Who wouldn't. But don't confuse lack of fighting with absence of war.
After all, if we'd not declared war on Hitler, or surrendered when he
asked us to, there'd have been no WW2. See - we'd have had peace! So
obviously us doing neither of those things was a big mistake.

You have short memories. In 1990-99 Europe had a very nasty
civil war in what was Yugoslavia.

When that country wasn't part of the EU.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

The EU was utterley and totally incapable of doing anything
apart from sending in some 'peace keepers'. And we know what
the dutch peacekeepers did to 'keep the peace'.

I know what you're suggesting. The EU should have its own army so it can
keep the peace throughout the world? Or am I misconstruing?

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/16 15:03, Andrew wrote:
(*) The Chinese embassy in Serbia? was 'accidentally' bombed
by the USA. I suspect this was no accident if they had been
supplying arms or involved in some other nefarious activity.

+1.

the RF traffic in and out was 'very revealing' and too coincident with
various military things for them to be 'neutral'

Plausibly deniable 'oops. sorry, our missiles were supposed to home in
on some RF traffic from a military command centre...' ;-)

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:35:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You have short memories. In 1990-99 Europe had a very nasty civil war
in what was Yugoslavia.

When that country wasn't part of the EU.

And, of course, most of it still isn't.

The only bit which has been a member for longer than about five minutes
took one look at the war brewing, and walked away from it all in about a
week.

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big beach
full of naked leathery Germans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 18:35:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Being a once decent DIY group, if someone asked for advice about near
anything related, they'd get a reasonably consistent set of answers.
Plenty of debate about the dotting of 'I's, etc, but nevertheless pretty
consistent. And maybe even a link to a site written by known experts.

But with this EU nonsense, all the expert opinion in terms of facts and
figures is ignored, to be replaced by speculation and guesswork. Don't
understand why.

Those experts are most likely the biggest lairs on the planet either that or they are only interested in their own careers.

If you're not by now bored with the whole thing, have a look at this which
helps explain the nuts and bolts of leaving and what would be need to be
negotiated afterwards.

yes sure it does.
Our universities were much better before we joined the EU.
In those days we trained the top few percent sp they could get the best jobs, now we train the top 70% which is basically worthless.

I don;t do facebook at work so will have to hold off until tonioght, will I managed to contain myself with excitment is the Q. ;-)

It does try to deal with that sort of thing rather
than the more emotive bits. So very different from the politicians
involved.

https://www.facebook.com/Universityo...3361974024537/

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/16 16:45, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:35:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You have short memories. In 1990-99 Europe had a very nasty civil war
in what was Yugoslavia.

When that country wasn't part of the EU.

And, of course, most of it still isn't.

The only bit which has been a member for longer than about five minutes
took one look at the war brewing, and walked away from it all in about a
week.

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big beach
full of naked leathery Germans.

Ooh. What a turn on!

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 June 2016 00:41:21 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
DJC wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned about 2059 since I won't be around then.

But I am concerned about the near future. And not just for myself but
for the majority. The very rich don't need my concern - they are
always the last to suffer.

So you don't have children, or grandchildren?

If you want to project generations in time...

My father was in two WW both started in Europe.

I'm about the age he was when he died, and although born during WW2 don't
remember it. And although there has been some conflict within Europe in my
lifetime, nothing like on the same scale.

And nothing within the EU.

I'd like my children and grandchildren to be able to say the same.

And I'd not be foolish enough to predict how well an independant UK might
do in 40 years time or whatever. And anyone who thinks they can is simply
deluded.

But they seem to know how well we'll do if we remain in the EU a block of contries putting tarriffs up and currently has less growth than those outside the EU isn;t that it.

But I'm pretty certain the short to medium term outlook for the economy
will be bleak if we leave, as that's what has started to happen already
with just the threat it might happen - and it's also the view of most of
the economists around the world.

Same with Apple share doesn't matter what happens they tend to go down before going back up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big
beach full of naked leathery Germans.

Ooh. What a turn on!

Naked, fat, ancient, leathery Germans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/16 17:17, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big
beach full of naked leathery Germans.

Ooh. What a turn on!

Naked, fat, ancient, leathery Germans.

Whatever gets your goatse.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:22:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The bit which has recently joined is, for a very large part, a big
beach full of naked leathery Germans.

Ooh. What a turn on!

Naked, fat, ancient, leathery Germans.

Whatever gets your goatse.

Certainly doesn't get mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
If you're not by now bored with the whole thing, have a look at this
which helps explain the nuts and bolts of leaving and what would be
need to be negotiated afterwards.

yes sure it does. Our universities were much better before we joined the
EU. In those days we trained the top few percent sp they could get the
best jobs, now we train the top 70% which is basically worthless.

Right. I'll take your word for it since you work in one. So now explain
just how it is the EU's fault? Or indeed anything at all to do with them?

I do like all these posts about how good it was before we joined the EU.
And wanting to go back to those days. Before the internet...

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Being a once decent DIY group, if someone asked for advice about
near anything related, they'd get a reasonably consistent set of answers.
Plenty of debate about the dotting of 'I's, etc, but nevertheless pretty
consistent. And maybe even a link to a site written by known experts.

But with this EU nonsense, all the expert opinion in
terms of facts and figures is ignored, to be replaced
by speculation and guesswork. Don't understand why.

Those experts are most likely the biggest lairs on the planet
either that or they are only interested in their own careers.

Or they are so stupid that they haven't even noticed that they
dont have a ****ing. That is the only viable explanation for
the fact that NOT ONE of them actually predicted the complete
implosion of much of the world financial system in 2008.

That fool Bernanke didnt even notice that the US system
had got itself into the situation where a complete implosion
was inevitable and had been mindlessly rabitting on about
the much less important fact that the Congress wasnt doing
anything about the immense national govt debt that was the
result of the terminal stupiditys of invading Iraq and Afghanistan.

And that fool is allegedly an expert on the causes of the Great Depression.

With a record like that, is it any wonder that anyone with even
half a clue just ignores what those clowns are predicting now ?

If you're not by now bored with the whole thing, have a look
at this which helps explain the nuts and bolts of leaving and
what would be need to be negotiated afterwards.

yes sure it does.
Our universities were much better before we joined the EU.

Depends on how you define better.

In those days we trained the top few percent sp they could get the best
jobs,

In fact plenty who ended up with the best jobs never attended any of them.

now we train the top 70% which is basically worthless.

And yet Britain has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the
majors in the whole of europe, with a very high level of immigration
too. So it can't actually be doing too bad education wise.