Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping TMH (Patio canopies)

On 20/06/16 20:03, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/06/16 18:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
Here http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/library/

About 400mm high and 250mm wide. The twig is about 3'0" :-)

Nothing but a blank page with adverts.

Photobucket never shows images for me

Try Windows XP:-)

well 4 small images dozens of popups and no mushrooms

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:13:33 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

The twig is about 3'0" :-)

Woah. Now that would carve up into something nice ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9/Seahorse.jpg

Very nice.

That was in the rough at that stage.

Is that Scotland?

It was. Her partner at the time (who I believe you met) bought a lorry
and trailer of timber for their firewood business up there and while
they had that order going she tacked a few lengths of red cedar on to
play with (chainsaw carving) g. She did that seahorse, a load of
mushrooms (that sold like hot cakes at the local store) and a few
'Easter Island heads', just for fun etc. My Mum has one of the larger
mushrooms and this little bear in her back garden.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772409/Carving.jpg

It's a shame she hasn't had the opportunity to do more as she likes
doing it.

or a bench maybe, or are you saving it for something more 'worthy' of
something that size, to plank up etc?

What wood is it OOI?

Oak. I was going to ring it for firewood

Nooo ... that seems such a shame with oak. Just remembered, was that
across the road in a field of yours and they cut it up for you (or
something like that)?

but we probably won't have a
log burner after the move.

Phew. ;-)

Field edge tree so I left the rest in the
ground. Prolly got radial splits by now.

The splits probably wouldn't bother a 'chunky' vertical carving but
I'm guessing oak may take a bit of cutting (I'll ask her when she
comes in).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

or a bench maybe, or are you saving it for something more 'worthy' of
something that size, to plank up etc?

What wood is it OOI?

Oak. I was going to ring it for firewood

Nooo ... that seems such a shame with oak. Just remembered, was that
across the road in a field of yours and they cut it up for you (or
something like that)?

That was converted and used for my workshop walls. I have some 18'
scantling and planks from the last one to fall over. Sadly the mobile
saw has been sold and the new owner does not believe in spending money
on blade sharpening.

but we probably won't have a
log burner after the move.

Phew. ;-)

When we installed the farmhouse log burner, I did a count of dead and
dying mature Oaks on the farm. I reckoned there were enough to see me
out!

Field edge tree so I left the rest in the
ground. Prolly got radial splits by now.

The splits probably wouldn't bother a 'chunky' vertical carving but
I'm guessing oak may take a bit of cutting (I'll ask her when she
comes in).

It has sat there for 12 months. Big surprise recently. Someone turned up
in a nice car and offered huge sums of money for some rooted Oak stumps
I had used for gate stops. I think he must have seen the stumpery at
Highgrove:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 09:11:42 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip
Just remembered, was that
across the road in a field of yours and they cut it up for you (or
something like that)?

That was converted and used for my workshop walls.

Ah, cool. ;-)

I have some 18'
scantling and planks from the last one to fall over. Sadly the mobile
saw has been sold and the new owner does not believe in spending money
on blade sharpening.

Nowt as strange as folk. ;-(

but we probably won't have a
log burner after the move.

Phew. ;-)

When we installed the farmhouse log burner, I did a count of dead and
dying mature Oaks on the farm. I reckoned there were enough to see me
out!

That must be nice to know (have known). Free fuel for life! ;-)

That said, we went and stayed with daughter, and her b/f's family in
Scotland over an Xmyth and whilst the fire (and back boiler) was
'nice' it reminded me of ours when I was a kid and how much work it
took. Not only cutting and drying the fuel but keeping the fire in and
cleaned out etc. It was like having a pet or child. ;-)

Field edge tree so I left the rest in the
ground. Prolly got radial splits by now.

The splits probably wouldn't bother a 'chunky' vertical carving but
I'm guessing oak may take a bit of cutting (I'll ask her when she
comes in).

It has sat there for 12 months.

It seems quite difficult to stop green wood from splitting as it dries
out and I think the wood turners often treat the ends with wax to
manage how their stocks dry.

Big surprise recently. Someone turned up
in a nice car and offered huge sums of money for some rooted Oak stumps
I had used for gate stops. I think he must have seen the stumpery at
Highgrove:-)

So did you?

Cheers, T i m