Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New concrete patio over old patio

We are planning to pour a new concrete patio between our house and garage,
to replace pavers that have settled and correct the slopes around the
buildings. The existing pavers will be reused for a new patio out back.

We currently have a perfectly level 4'x8' concrete sidewalk between the
house and garage. It is 3-1/2" thick, reinforced with rebar, and has no
cracks. Each end rests on the buildings footings, so it is a very sturdy
little slab.

The new patio section will be 5-1/2 feet wide, or roughly 8" larger on each
side of the existing walk.

If I pour the new patio over the old sidewalk, the new slab would be about
2-1/2" thick on the shallow end and 3" on the thicker end. The additional
width on each side would be the full depth, 6-7" or so.

I am curious if 2-1/2" is thick enough to avoid cracks if I pour over the
old walk?

Also, will I have any issues where the new slab gets thicker on each side
where it is wider than the old sidewalk?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 7:12:03 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

do the job right and only once.

remove old slab completely, dig out and replace the gravel that should be under the slab.

because the new slab over one thats still settling and will be thin... will crack, and once that occurs you will have to remove both slabs...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 23:10:28 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote in

I am curious if 2-1/2" is thick enough to avoid cracks if I pour over the
old walk?

If you use fiberglass flocking or metal wire (like fencing)
reinforcement within the concrete, you should be fine.
http://www.concretenetwork.com/glass...rced-concrete/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 05:07:57 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

remove old slab completely,

I would. Form and pour a new slab with a high PSI cement.

The form doesn't even have to be rectangle. Think free form curves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 8:51:52 AM UTC-4, Bruce Jenner wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

I have done work like this wearing nothing but a bra and silk panties, in
case you were curious.

dont you need to update your name to catlin?

in any case pouring a slab over a slab thats cracked will only lead to more work, and expense of demoing 2 slabs and hauling them away

take a photo ofbthe old cracked slab, thje new slab will soon have cracks in the same places

Posted to alt.home.repair

because the new slab over one thats still settling and will be
thin... will crack, and once that occurs you will have to remove both
slabs...

in any case pouring a slab over a slab thats cracked will only lead to
more work, and expense of demoing 2 slabs and hauling them away
take a photo of the old cracked slab, the new slab will soon have
cracks in the same places

The existing slab is 10 years old, reinforced with rebar, and has NO
cracks.

That said, I may just tear it out anyway just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Concrete Patio Kate[_5_] Home Repair 23 April 6th 12 08:13 PM
concrete patio Jeff Thies Home Repair 19 March 2nd 11 03:17 PM
Concrete Patio Virtual Voyager Home Repair 7 September 15th 09 01:09 AM
Patio Ideas - Stepping Out With Stone Patio Designs And Brick Patio Patterns trav Home Repair 1 September 24th 07 03:15 PM
Concrete patio gary Home Repair 0 October 21st 06 11:06 PM