Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default New concrete patio over old patio

We are planning to pour a new concrete patio between our house and garage,
to replace pavers that have settled and correct the slopes around the
buildings. The existing pavers will be reused for a new patio out back.

We currently have a perfectly level 4'x8' concrete sidewalk between the
house and garage. It is 3-1/2" thick, reinforced with rebar, and has no
cracks. Each end rests on the buildings footings, so it is a very sturdy
little slab.

The new patio section will be 5-1/2 feet wide, or roughly 8" larger on each
side of the existing walk.

If I pour the new patio over the old sidewalk, the new slab would be about
2-1/2" thick on the shallow end and 3" on the thicker end. The additional
width on each side would be the full depth, 6-7" or so.

I am curious if 2-1/2" is thick enough to avoid cracks if I pour over the
old walk?

Also, will I have any issues where the new slab gets thicker on each side
where it is wider than the old sidewalk?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com