Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help with phone type connectors?

My lad needs an extension lead for an aircon controller and I am
struggling to identify the plug / socket name.

It's not an ordinary "ethernet" (RJ45?) or what I think of as the DSL
lead (RJ11?) although it looks very much like that. But the plug is only
7.5 mm wide, rather than 9.5 for the DSL. (That's the dimension spanning
the conductors).

However it appears to be the same as the type of lead which goes
directly into some phone handsets.

Mr. Google is not being very friendly to me today, it's not *obviously*
an RJ series.

TIA

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/16 13:26, newshound wrote:
My lad needs an extension lead for an aircon controller and I am
struggling to identify the plug / socket name.

It's not an ordinary "ethernet" (RJ45?) or what I think of as the DSL
lead (RJ11?) although it looks very much like that. But the plug is only
7.5 mm wide, rather than 9.5 for the DSL. (That's the dimension spanning
the conductors).

RJ10?

http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/knowled...45-connectors/

However it appears to be the same as the type of lead which goes
directly into some phone handsets.

Mr. Google is not being very friendly to me today, it's not *obviously*
an RJ series.

TIA

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/17/2016 1:35 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/06/16 13:26, newshound wrote:
My lad needs an extension lead for an aircon controller and I am
struggling to identify the plug / socket name.

It's not an ordinary "ethernet" (RJ45?) or what I think of as the DSL
lead (RJ11?) although it looks very much like that. But the plug is only
7.5 mm wide, rather than 9.5 for the DSL. (That's the dimension spanning
the conductors).

RJ10?

http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/knowled...45-connectors/

Ah yes, looks plausible.

http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technic...lecoms-wiring/

Why can't I find any dimensions for RJ9, RJ10, and RJ22 though? Also,
that link says they are 4 position 4 conductor. While that is what my
"phone" one is, the socket on the controller is definitely 6 position 4
conductor.

Obviously, I could give them a call. They do the plugs and female to
female connectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/16 13:55, newshound wrote:
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector

In which case it isn't 7.5mm wide.

The RJ stuff doesn't fit 6 connectors into a 7mm wide plug/socket

Obviously, I could give them a call. They do the plugs and female to
female connectors.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/17/2016 2:08 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Actually it is 7.5 mm and the RJ9 socket seems to be 7.7

Modular connector dimensions (millimeters)[3]
Connector Length Width Height
4P4C (RJ9) 7.7
6P4C (RJ11) 12.34 9.65 6.60
8P8C (RJ45) 21.46 11.68 8.30

(your link, but I did not spot it at first)

And the socket definitely has two blank spaces either side of the four
connectors.

Anyway, looks like RJ9 it is, then. Just need to get the lad to confirm
what length he needs. Thanks for the help!