Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default F-Type connectors.

Anyone know of a source of insulated chassis mounting ones? Unless I'm
missing something all the types I've come across are non insulated.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 9:33 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Anyone know of a source of insulated chassis mounting ones? Unless I'm
missing something all the types I've come across are non insulated.

I've never seen them. I think the best thing to do would be to use
three nylon washers. One small one and two big ones. The small one
would fit inside the hole you cut in the chassis (to keep the
connector centered), and the two big ones mounted either side to keep
it all insulated.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
stevelup scribeth thus
On Oct 3, 9:33 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Anyone know of a source of insulated chassis mounting ones? Unless I'm
missing something all the types I've come across are non insulated.

I've never seen them. I think the best thing to do would be to use
three nylon washers. One small one and two big ones. The small one
would fit inside the hole you cut in the chassis (to keep the
connector centered), and the two big ones mounted either side to keep
it all insulated.

Steve

Why do you want insulated ones?...

I've never seen them used like that in any application!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article .com,
stevelup scribeth thus
On Oct 3, 9:33 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Anyone know of a source of insulated chassis mounting ones? Unless I'm
missing something all the types I've come across are non insulated.

I've never seen them. I think the best thing to do would be to use
three nylon washers. One small one and two big ones. The small one
would fit inside the hole you cut in the chassis (to keep the
connector centered), and the two big ones mounted either side to keep
it all insulated.

Steve

Why do you want insulated ones?...

I've never seen them used like that in any application!..

I want to fit a satellite output on the same (home made) metal plate that
my ordinary UHF aerial is on - and was slightly worried about earth loops
as there are audio connections on there too and that's the ground I've
used - the UHF sockets are isolated. But if you reckon it's ok I'll go
ahead with a normal one.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article .com,
stevelup scribeth thus
[...]

I think you'd be best to try it and see Dave or you could use plastic
washers

I've never seen insulated F types, coaxial yes but not F's!..
--
Tony Sayer

Bancom Communications U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588

P.O. Box 280, Cambridge, England, CB2 2DY E-Mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 6:42 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

In article .com,
stevelup scribeth thus
[...]

Don't forget that satellite cables generally carry a DC Voltage from
the receiver up to the LNB to power it and to control things like the
choice of polarisation. But you must know all about that.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
RobertL wrote:
I want to fit a satellite output on the same (home made) metal plate
that my ordinary UHF aerial is on - and was slightly worried about
earth loops as there are audio connections on there too and that's the
ground I've used - the UHF sockets are isolated. But if you reckon
it's ok I'll go ahead with a normal one.

Don't forget that satellite cables generally carry a DC Voltage from
the receiver up to the LNB to power it and to control things like the
choice of polarisation. But you must know all about that.

And - in my case - the rotator volts. According to the blurb the STB
output for these is short circuit protected, and it could be they are
totally isolated from any ground.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-10-03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone know of a source of insulated chassis mounting ones? Unless I'm
missing something all the types I've come across are non insulated.

I'd be inclined to cut a "big" square hole in the metal plate, insert a
piece of paxolin and mount the 'F' types on that.

My thoughts too after the helpful replies. But I'll make that hole
circular as I've not that big a selection of square Q-Max cutters. ;-)

It needn't be big either - I'm only worried about a DC path.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *