Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lowest profile surface/track mount LED downlighters

I would quite like to have downlighters in our hall but I know that the
ceiling is filled with a mess of pipes and wiring would necessitate a lot
of redecorating which I'd like to avoid.

Given that I don't need directable beams what is the lowest profile fitting
that I could use with good aesthetics and good light quality?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

I would quite like to have downlighters in our hall but I know that the
ceiling is filled with a mess of pipes and wiring would necessitate a lot
of redecorating which I'd like to avoid.

Given that I don't need directable beams what is the lowest profile fitting
that I could use with good aesthetics and good light quality?

The one I used in my porch is barely thicker than the plasterboard
itself, this type, but not this seller ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172165385373

I extended the 12V wiring so the PSU was sited elsewhere, rather than in
the ceiling, the diffuser gives an excellent spread of light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 13:52, Tim+ wrote:
I would quite like to have downlighters in our hall but I know that the
ceiling is filled with a mess of pipes and wiring would necessitate a lot
of redecorating which I'd like to avoid.

Given that I don't need directable beams what is the lowest profile fitting
that I could use with good aesthetics and good light quality?

Tim

LED strip light fitted to aluminium heat-sink with 'milk-like' plastic
cover. You would have to fit the controller/PSU in the ceiling.

http://www.leds.de/en/Accessories/Accessories/

I have in my hallway something like the 24W version
http://tinyurl.com/zbsxzj5
where the controller/PSU fits inside the fitting - but its 35mm deep

If you can fit the controller/PSU in the ceiling an ultra thin panel LED
light of 300mm x 300mm may cut the depth to 20mm. the panels come in
recessed and surface mount versions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 13:52:48 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I would quite like to have downlighters in our hall but I know that the
ceiling is filled with a mess of pipes and wiring would necessitate a lot
of redecorating which I'd like to avoid.

Given that I don't need directable beams what is the lowest profile fitting
that I could use with good aesthetics and good light quality?

Tim

LED tape, a few mm thick.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 14:18, alan_m wrote:

I have in my hallway something like the 24W version
http://tinyurl.com/zbsxzj5
where the controller/PSU fits inside the fitting - but its 35mm deep

They look in interesting for a landing which needs better light but I
was puzzled by dimensions "297 x 250 x 35 mm" for a *circular* fitting.
Are those dimensions for the inner/outer diameters?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 15:32, Robin wrote:
On 11/06/2016 14:18, alan_m wrote:

I have in my hallway something like the 24W version
http://tinyurl.com/zbsxzj5
where the controller/PSU fits inside the fitting - but its 35mm deep

They look in interesting for a landing which needs better light but I
was puzzled by dimensions "297 x 250 x 35 mm" for a *circular* fitting.
Are those dimensions for the inner/outer diameters?

larger dimension is the overall diameter of the fitting
smaller dimension is the diameter of the bit that gives the light

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 17:14, alan_m wrote:

larger dimension is the overall diameter of the fitting
smaller dimension is the diameter of the bit that gives the light

Thanks

--
Robin