Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan

Default Help ID'ing surface mount component

Trying to repair my logitech mouse. Has a surface mount component I
think may be the culprit, marked only 73D. Can someone help my ID this
component? I'm thinking it's a resistor, but I have no idea what value.

TIA

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Dan" wrote in message
Trying to repair my logitech mouse. Has a surface mount component I think
may be the culprit, marked only 73D. Can someone help my ID this
component? I'm thinking it's a resistor, but I have no idea what value.

TIA

Dan

more info on SMD resistor codes:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Ch...Resistors.html

From this table, we get:
1% 73 = value 562; D = multiplier 1000 = 562000 (562k) ohm

Now, what symptom are you experiencing that makes u think this is the faulty
component?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan

Ray L. Volts wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Trying to repair my logitech mouse. Has a surface mount component I think
may be the culprit, marked only 73D. Can someone help my ID this
component? I'm thinking it's a resistor, but I have no idea what value.

TIA

Dan

more info on SMD resistor codes:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Ch...Resistors.html

From this table, we get:
1% 73 = value 562; D = multiplier 1000 = 562000 (562k) ohm

Now, what symptom are you experiencing that makes u think this is the faulty
component?

Thanks Ray, great resource! I tried searching but was not able to find
anything like that. As far as what's wrong with the mouse, well it's a
rather unusual failure. It's a cordless mouse, which my 3 year old
daughter tossed across the room, bouncing it off a (cast iron) wood
burning stove & onto the brick hearth. Immediately after this, the
scroll wheel ceased to work, so I opened the mouse & discovered 2
surface mount capacitors which each had one end broken loose from the
trace. I re-soldered these, but unfortunately in the process of
disassembly I over estimated the degree to which one of the
board-soldered battery terminals could be flexed, and I pulled a bit of
trace away from the resistor I posted about. Patched it up (I thought)
but now NOTHING works, no scroll & no pointer motion. Oddly, the LED on
the bottom appears to operate as it always did, flashing in response to
motion, etc. Tried rebooting, pressing the communications buttons on
the mouse bottom & on the USB receiver, still nogo. I'm thinking I may
have fractured the resistor, so I thought I'd try inserting a 1/4 watt
equivalent & see what happens.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Dan