Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grand Design - rusting steel special?

In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing? The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some
reason are then painted anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some reason
are then painted anyway.

Thanks. I'm not looking for any, just satisfying my curiosity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2016 22:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some
reason are then painted anyway.

Ah, that explains this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._Bridge_04.jpg

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Aluminium is similar to iron in the periodic table. It oxidises very
fast, but the oxide layer bonds strongly to the underlying aluminium and
prevents further corrosion.

Iron oxide doesn't do that. It tends to crumble off, allowing further
corrosion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2016 09:58, GB wrote:
Aluminium is similar to iron in the periodic table. It oxidises very
fast, but the oxide layer bonds strongly to the underlying aluminium and
prevents further corrosion.

Iron oxide doesn't do that. It tends to crumble off, allowing further
corrosion.

The point is that Weathering steel or Corten steel, as Andy Burns
highlighted, is an alloy where the rust layer is stable. I hadn't heard
of that.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

The point is that Weathering steel or Corten steel, as Andy Burns
highlighted, is an alloy where the rust layer is stable. I hadn't heard
of that.

Apparently a salty atmosphere can cause the layer to never stabilise and
rust away, hence why shipping containers are painted, wonder why the
bother using corten steel in the first place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some
reason are then painted anyway.

Ah, that explains this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._Bridge_04.jpg

And this, in Manchester:

http://www.ahr-global.com/Manchester...torey-Car-Park

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some
reason are then painted anyway.

Ah, that explains this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._Bridge_04.jpg

And this, in Manchester:

http://www.ahr-global.com/Manchester...torey-Car-Park

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

I much prefer that to the Lewes house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 22:02:45 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

it showed what seemed to be a special steel which rusts, but then the
rust serves as a coating to prevent any further oxidation. Is there
such a thing?

Called CORTEN steel, often used on shipping containers, which for some
reason are then painted anyway.

Even with quality control (it is obviously not fundamental to their culture) they still mange to screw things up:

"The durability of COR-TEN did not live up to expectations, with rust holes appearing in the railcars. Painting may have contributed to the problem, as painted weathering steel is no more corrosion-resistant than conventional steel, because the protective patina will not form in time to prevent corrosion over a localized area of attack such as a small paint failure."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing?

Yep, been around for a long time now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/10/2016 4:08 AM, Slomo wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing?

Yep, been around for a long time now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.

It's a sort of clever and much cheaper variant of stainless steel, which
is also protected by a thin, protective oxide layer. The original story
of 18-8 is quite interesting, it was an experimental melt made by Harry
Brearley when looking for better materials for rifle barrels. It was no
good for that and apparently stacked outside with other failures to
await recycling. That was when its "stainless" properties were discovered.

One wonders whether a bit of serendipity was involved in Corten too, if
someone thought "That oxide looks quite nice, perhaps it could be a
feature".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'That oxide looks ****, but it does protect the steel,. so lets call it
'Art' and some stupid **** will buy it.'

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/10/2016 1:53 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/06/16 11:43, newshound wrote:
One wonders whether a bit of serendipity was involved in Corten too, if
someone thought "That oxide looks quite nice, perhaps it could be a
feature".

'That oxide looks ****, but it does protect the steel,. so lets call it
'Art' and some stupid **** will buy it.'

You might think that, I couldn't possibly say it

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:52:44 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing? The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.

possibly this place, very near to my work in Lewes, East sussex?

http://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/...rial-new-build

I walk past this building a couple of times a week. FWIW, although I am by no means averse to industrial finishes like this, I find its appearance on this house pretty uninspiring. It simply looks like rusty fencing, sadly.

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/06/2016 12:01, jkn wrote:
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:52:44 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing? The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.

possibly this place, very near to my work in Lewes, East sussex?

http://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/...rial-new-build

I walk past this building a couple of times a week. FWIW, although I am by no means averse to industrial finishes like this, I find its appearance on this house pretty uninspiring. It simply looks like rusty fencing, sadly.

J^n

Interesting stats:

Property Weathering steel-clad new-build
Bedrooms 5 Bathrooms 3
Project started December 2014
Project finished September 2015
Size of house 257sqm
Plot cost £350,000
Build cost £700,000

So, £270 per sq ft. As a new-build there's no VAT. So, that price is
around 50% higher psf than a less grand design.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/06/2016 12:01, jkn wrote:
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:52:44 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In one of the Grand Design TV programs, it showed what seemed to be a
special steel which rusts, but then the rust serves as a coating to
prevent any further oxidation. Is there such a thing? The steel was
perforated in a press and from Spain I understood.

possibly this place, very near to my work in Lewes, East sussex?

http://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/...rial-new-build

I walk past this building a couple of times a week. FWIW, although I am by no means averse to industrial finishes like this, I find its appearance on this house pretty uninspiring. It simply looks like rusty fencing, sadly.

J^n

Compare that one's £270 psf to this one:

http://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/...ksmith-s-forge

Which cost £92 psf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a overpass near the Toyota Factory in Derbyshire that has an
unpainted appearance. I asked the Highways agency why it had been left to
rust and they replied (some years ago now) tha tthe steel was special and
it protected itself with an oxide layer.

1.5687995,3a,75y,288.16h,101.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!
1sZUnvPm_WQhjjBrnNDSKdzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

There is a overpass near the Toyota Factory in Derbyshire that has an
unpainted appearance. I asked the Highways agency why it had been left
to rust and they replied (some years ago now) tha tthe steel was
special and it protected itself with an oxide layer.

1.5687995,3a,75y,288.16h,101.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!
1sZUnvPm_WQhjjBrnNDSKdzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

http://www.steelconstruction.info/Weathering_steel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

There is a overpass near the Toyota Factory in Derbyshire that has an
unpainted appearance. I asked the Highways agency why it had been left to
rust and they replied (some years ago now) tha tthe steel was special and
it protected itself with an oxide layer.

That seems a proper application for the stuff, it's a bridge so doesn't
need to look pretty, if it saves on painting it every few years, all to
the good, if it means the steel can be easily inspected to spot any
problems before they become major, even better ...