Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heater timer

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/06/2016 23:06, Capitol wrote:

Use a mechanical timer. IME digital timers are a pain.

I chose digital for the battery backup.

Is the timer because the tank was boiling when the immersion was left on
or for convenience to save you manually switching the HW on and off?

No, I simply didn't want to be heating water in the middle of the day
and during the night when we wouldn't use it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 01:20, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Thanks. Image at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...0heater%20stat

Noah called, he wants his stat back.

He called here earlier but I had to disappoint him. He wanted two and I
only had the one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/06/2016 23:06, Capitol wrote:

Use a mechanical timer. IME digital timers are a pain.

I chose digital for the battery backup.

Is the timer because the tank was boiling when the immersion was left on
or for convenience to save you manually switching the HW on and off?

No, I simply didn't want to be heating water in the middle of the day and
during the night when we wouldn't use it.

What timer did you buy?

I have fitted so few that I cannot give a recommendation. The ones I have
fitted have been awkward to fit but seemed to have worked well.

Now what is the difference between these two

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT03.html

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT04.html

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/06/2016 23:06, Capitol wrote:

Use a mechanical timer. IME digital timers are a pain.

I chose digital for the battery backup.

Is the timer because the tank was boiling when the immersion was left on
or for convenience to save you manually switching the HW on and off?

No, I simply didn't want to be heating water in the middle of the day
and during the night when we wouldn't use it.

What timer did you buy?

I have fitted so few that I cannot give a recommendation. The ones I
have fitted have been awkward to fit but seemed to have worked well.

Now what is the difference between these two

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT03.html

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT04.html

Volt Free contacts :-)

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/06/2016 23:06, Capitol wrote:

Use a mechanical timer. IME digital timers are a pain.

I chose digital for the battery backup.

Is the timer because the tank was boiling when the immersion was left on
or for convenience to save you manually switching the HW on and off?

No, I simply didn't want to be heating water in the middle of the day
and during the night when we wouldn't use it.

What timer did you buy?

I haven't found one yet so have been using one of my existing electronic
switches (bearing in mind earlier warnings about the plug/socket contacts).

I have fitted so few that I cannot give a recommendation. The ones I
have fitted have been awkward to fit but seemed to have worked well.

Now what is the difference between these two

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT03.html

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT04.html

The second , more expensive, one is a 'General Purpose Timeswitch
c/w Voltage Free Contacts' and 'Switches up to 750W incandescent or
halogen lighting/750W fluorescent lighting/100W compact fluorescent
lighting (cfl’s). Not suitable for discharge lighting'. There is no
mention of this with the other which is described as an 'Immersion
Heater Timeswitch' rather than a 'General Purpose Timeswitch

c/w Voltage Free Contacts'.

Does it matter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
[...]

I am hoping that Peter Andrew's :-) was because he was thinking what I was
thinking

That are the same thing but one of them has a live connection wire pre
installed to the volts free contact.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 10:19, ARW wrote:
[...]

So, for an immersion heater application, does it matter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I am hoping that Peter Andrew's :-) was because he was thinking what I was
thinking

That are the same thing but one of them has a live connection wire pre
installed to the volts free contact.

Both models have L-in and N-in terminals, additionally

the T03 model has N-out and SL-out

the T04 model has S-in and S-out

so for the T03 they probably cut one link and adding two others in the
factory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I am hoping that Peter Andrew's :-) was because he was thinking what I
was
thinking

That are the same thing but one of them has a live connection wire pre
installed to the volts free contact.

Both models have L-in and N-in terminals, additionally

the T03 model has N-out and SL-out

the T04 model has S-in and S-out

so for the T03 they probably cut one link and adding two others in the
factory.

Look again at the instructions for the T04

"The T04 has a wire link in place and this should not be removed"

"Sin (T04 only) if volt free is not required then fit a link between L and
Sin"

Seems that the instructions are at home to Mr Cockup:-).

The T04 is in the real world volts free and the T03 has SL internally
connected to live.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 14:38, ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

I am hoping that Peter Andrew's :-) was because he was thinking what
I was
thinking

That are the same thing but one of them has a live connection wire pre
installed to the volts free contact.

Both models have L-in and N-in terminals, additionally

the T03 model has N-out and SL-out

the T04 model has S-in and S-out

so for the T03 they probably cut one link and adding two others in the
factory.

Look again at the instructions for the T04

"The T04 has a wire link in place and this should not be removed"

"Sin (T04 only) if volt free is not required then fit a link between L
and Sin"

Seems that the instructions are at home to Mr Cockup:-).

The T04 is in the real world volts free and the T03 has SL internally
connected to live.

So the cheaper one (T03) would do what I want?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

So the cheaper one (T03) would do what I want?

Yes - but with certain caveats.

1. You need a 32mm deep back box
2. 32mm back boxes are not standard so use a standard 35mm back box
3. The terminals on these switches are about as easy to access with a
screwdriver as a penis is to a nun's ****

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 22:00, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

So the cheaper one (T03) would do what I want?

Yes - but with certain caveats.

1. You need a 32mm deep back box
2. 32mm back boxes are not standard so use a standard 35mm back box
3. The terminals on these switches are about as easy to access with a
screwdriver as a penis is to a nun's ****

Might be a good idea to find a nun to understand the difficulties before
I buy the timer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

3. The terminals on these switches are about as easy to access with a
screwdriver as a penis is to a nun's ****

So it's a tad tricky to fit, then?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/06/2016 22:00, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

So the cheaper one (T03) would do what I want?

Yes - but with certain caveats.

1. You need a 32mm deep back box
2. 32mm back boxes are not standard so use a standard 35mm back box
3. The terminals on these switches are about as easy to access with a
screwdriver as a penis is to a nun's ****

Might be a good idea to find a nun to understand the difficulties before I
buy the timer?

Is there is anything stopping you adding the timer and keeping the existing
switch left in the ON position?

If not them just use a deep patress box for the timer. Fiddly and awkward
but it will what you want and also has a boost button for the unexpected
ocasions you need HW out of the timed period.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 22:00, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

So the cheaper one (T03) would do what I want?

Yes - but with certain caveats.

1. You need a 32mm deep back box
2. 32mm back boxes are not standard so use a standard 35mm back box
3. The terminals on these switches are about as easy to access with a
screwdriver as a penis is to a nun's ****

Might be a good idea to find a nun to understand the difficulties
before I buy the timer?

Is there is anything stopping you adding the timer and keeping the
existing switch left in the ON position?

If not them just use a deep patress box for the timer. Fiddly and
awkward but it will what you want and also has a boost button for the
unexpected ocasions you need HW out of the timed period.

That sounds like a plan! I'm away next week so will get one ordered when
I get back. Thanks for all the help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 01:20:52 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Thanks. Image at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...0heater%20stat

Noah called, he wants his stat back.

Can't have it , it Arked over and and the end result was a flood.

G Harman

Immersion heater timer Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 2 September 11th 13 02:28 PM
Immersion heater timer GMM UK diy 6 July 10th 11 09:39 PM
Immersion Heater Timer John UK diy 16 March 25th 09 12:18 AM
Immersion heater timer billy1 UK diy 2 June 5th 07 06:44 PM
kingshield 7 day immersion heater timer kay Home Repair 1 July 25th 06 10:03 PM