Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Measuring liquid level in a distant tank

On 07/06/2016 2:46 PM, jim wrote:
suppose an oil watchman type thing would do the job but they're
£60 minimum, and I don't need wireless comms, would prefer "off"
until "on for level check" to save power/batts.

The 6ft tall c.1200 litre tank is the other side of a wall from
where the gauge reading c/would be done, and it contains
water.

Essentially I want to know when the tank is being over depleted.
It should refill constantly but if there's a supply issue,
measuring (even roughly) the level in the tank is the easiest way
to detect that issue and deal with it promptly before the tank is
emptied.

Being able to check that it is full in the morning /last thing
would be sufficient I suppose...

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

A metering stick on a hollow ball that protrudes from the top?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

RayL12 Wrote in message:
On 07/06/2016 2:46 PM, jim wrote:
suppose an oil watchman type thing would do the job but they're
£60 minimum, and I don't need wireless comms, would prefer "off"
until "on for level check" to save power/batts.

The 6ft tall c.1200 litre tank is the other side of a wall from
where the gauge reading c/would be done, and it contains
water.

Essentially I want to know when the tank is being over depleted.
It should refill constantly but if there's a supply issue,
measuring (even roughly) the level in the tank is the easiest way
to detect that issue and deal with it promptly before the tank is
emptied.

Being able to check that it is full in the morning /last thing
would be sufficient I suppose...

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

A metering stick on a hollow ball that protrudes from the top?

Mmm, that could have done but the tank is in another part of the
building (hence the "remote"...)
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:47:02 PM UTC+1, jim wrote:
suppose an oil watchman type thing would do the job but they're
£60 minimum, and I don't need wireless comms, would prefer "off"
until "on for level check" to save power/batts.

The 6ft tall c.1200 litre tank is the other side of a wall from
where the gauge reading c/would be done, and it contains
water.

Essentially I want to know when the tank is being over depleted.
It should refill constantly but if there's a supply issue,
measuring (even roughly) the level in the tank is the easiest way
to detect that issue and deal with it promptly before the tank is
emptied.

Being able to check that it is full in the morning /last thing
would be sufficient I suppose...

Any ideas anyone?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

http://www.milinst.co.uk/shop/TP/TP.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 07:56:42 UTC+1, jim wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 20:06:05 UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 08/06/2016 13:48, tabbypurr wrote:

Talk about doing it the hard way. This is a beginner bulb & battery
level electronics exercise.

Depends on you POV, the author already wrote the code and (clone)
'Duinos and the sensor used are dirt cheap.
Plus it met both the "push to read" and actual water level remit

It can be done easily for nothing with household electronic scraps.
Arduinos aren't that cheap. And no, I won't be telling Jim how. If he
thinks he knows what he's doing he can figure it out or not.

Good, I wouldn't trust any of your "advice" nige, you imagine it
all up - to make yourself feel more important I guess...

Did you get that lightswitch wired in yet?

If that was directed at me, what lightswitch?

No, Jim. He made that job far harder that it need be too.

Er?
Sounds like more blathering on...

NT

My my you're a grumpy old ****wit today nige ;-)

pretty much the dumb response I expected. If you were almost anyone else
I'd explain how they can be done.

Just stick it on the wiki - once you have worked it out that is.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2016 14:46, jim wrote:
suppose an oil watchman type thing would do the job but they're
£60 minimum, and I don't need wireless comms, would prefer "off"
until "on for level check" to save power/batts.

The 6ft tall c.1200 litre tank is the other side of a wall from
where the gauge reading c/would be done, and it contains
water.

Essentially I want to know when the tank is being over depleted.
It should refill constantly but if there's a supply issue,
measuring (even roughly) the level in the tank is the easiest way
to detect that issue and deal with it promptly before the tank is
emptied.

Being able to check that it is full in the morning /last thing
would be sufficient I suppose...

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Optical.

There have been numerous devices which use various forms of "light pipe"
such that, if the end is immersed, there is no reflection. I'd be amazed
if it weren't possible to set something up which let you shine a torch
down a lightpipe and see if light goes ot the tank and gets reflected so
that the end lights up (or not). Have several at different depths and
you can get an approximate indication of fullness.

Obviously, you could go for something a little more sophisticated than a
torch...

--
Rod