Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Liquid Level Sensor: How ?

Hi,

I have a ten year old KitchenAid dishwasher for which I have just replaced
the automatic dispensing soapdish assembly. This is the kind that has the
little flap door
cover on it that opens (via a solenoid) at the appropriate time in the wash
cycle to allow the dry soap to fall out into the wash.

Anyway, it also has a dispenser for some liquid that you can add, which we
never have.
Probably for some wetting agent liquid that they sell. It is dispensed at
the correct time,
also, by this same solenoid which in addition to opening the soap dish cover
actuates a small piston type plunger which squirts a small amount of the
liquid out.

Have just noticed for the first time that there is a light on the control
panel that indicates this liquid dispenser is empty. Probably was not
functional/broken in the original soapdish dispenser assembly.

Can't for the life of me figure out how they determine if the liquid
dispenser is empty, though.
The only thing going to this assembly are two leads for the soap door
solenoid.

But there are also two leads going to a very small, looks like a resistor,
mounted on the outside wall of the liquid dispenser. Can't come into
contact with the liquid, as it's a
solid piece of plastic between. Plastic is black, so not an optical sensor.

All I can come up with is that it is a resistor, and part of an
electrical-bridge where the
difference in thermal conductivity of the heat radiating from the resistor
is different if there is, or is not, liquid on the other side.

Somehow, I don't think that this is how it works.

Any thoughts on how they know if the liquid is empty in the chamber ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

Any thoughts on how they know if the liquid is empty in the chamber ?

Thanks,
Bob

you know you can buy those little plastic packed cubes of dishwasher
soap..
just toss it in and shut the door

when the dispenser loses it's prime, it turns the light on

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From OP Meaning Of "Losing It's Prime" ?

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Npt sure what you mean by: "when the dispenser loses it's prime" , [it
turns the light on]
A few more details, please.

Thanks again,
Bob

---------

"chili palmer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert11 wrote:

Any thoughts on how they know if the liquid is empty in the chamber ?

Thanks,
Bob

you know you can buy those little plastic packed cubes of dishwasher
soap..
just toss it in and shut the door

when the dispenser loses it's prime, it turns the light on

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Npt sure what you mean by: "when the dispenser loses it's prime" , [it
turns the light on]
A few more details, please.

Thanks again,
Bob

it means it's sucking wind

when the timer calls for the "rinse aide" it sends electricity to a
solenoid switch, which opens the dispenser

I don't really know that much about it, yours is probably a photosensor

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Npt sure what you mean by: "when the dispenser loses it's prime" , [it
turns the light on]
A few more details, please.

Thanks again,
Bob

i take that back, you said there was 2 leads going to the dispenser
so thats connected to the solenoid

far as the light? probably just a simple float type swith, like in the
back of a toilet bowl

Posted to alt.home.repair

All I can come up with is that it is a resistor, and part of an
electrical-bridge where the
difference in thermal conductivity of the heat radiating from the resistor
is different if there is, or is not, liquid on the other side.

could be a thermistor which is a resistor that changes resistance with
temperature, then it could woek just as you say, the liquid keeps it
cool, when it runs outm the thermistor heats up....so the thermistor
can be both the heater and sensor in one component.

Mark