Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden shed: shelf timber sizing

Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 13:52, F wrote:
Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

Nothing IME with either decking slats or 1" nominal thickness (20-22mm
finished) planking as the shelves.

I used some 8x1" PAR for mine and it's got lots of heavy stuff on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2016 14:15, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/06/16 13:52, F wrote:
Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

Nothing IME with either decking slats or 1" nominal thickness (20-22mm
finished) planking as the shelves.

I used some 8x1" PAR for mine and it's got lots of heavy stuff on.

Thanks, and I realise now that the question was ambiguous... I wasn't
intending any vertical supports, just horizontal 2400mm long timbers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 13:52, F wrote:
Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

Nothing IME with either decking slats or 1" nominal thickness (20-22mm
finished) planking as the shelves.

I used some 8x1" PAR for mine and it's got lots of heavy stuff on.

Thanks, and I realise now that the question was ambiguous... I wasn't
intending any vertical supports, just horizontal 2400mm long timbers.

If you really mean a 2.4 metre long shelf with no intermediate
supports then I think you'll need something rather more than 1" thick.
I'd add some supports, they don't have to be anything very fancy, just
those cheap pressed steel shelf brackets are fine as intermediate
support.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:05:50 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I'd add some supports, they don't have to be anything very fancy, just
those cheap pressed steel shelf brackets are fine as intermediate
support.

I'd avoid the really cheap ones in a garden shed, they will rust. I'd
look at those shelving systems with a vertical rail on the wall
(frameing timbers) and slot in brackets all made from aluminium.
Won't corrode and allows complete flexabilty in shelf length,
spacings etc. I doubt the OPs management has any real idea of what
they actually want...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'd avoid the really cheap ones in a garden shed, they will rust. I'd
look at those shelving systems with a vertical rail on the wall
(frameing timbers) and slot in brackets all made from aluminium.
Won't corrode and allows complete flexabilty in shelf length,
spacings etc. I doubt the OPs management has any real idea of what
they actually want...

You could probably get the cheapest IKEA timber shelving,
whatever it is called since Sten was discontinued.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 09:00:04 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:05:50 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I'd add some supports, they don't have to be anything very fancy, just
those cheap pressed steel shelf brackets are fine as intermediate
support.

I'd avoid the really cheap ones in a garden shed, they will rust. I'd
look at those shelving systems with a vertical rail on the wall
(frameing timbers) and slot in brackets all made from aluminium.
Won't corrode and allows complete flexabilty in shelf length,
spacings etc.

I'm all for slotted shelving systems and have used them (mostly
Element 32) everywhere, from bedroom cupboards, lounge alcoves to the
garage (all the way round). So strong, so flexible, so simple. ;-)

I doubt the OPs management has any real idea of what
they actually want...

I know mine CGAF, as long as the stuff get's tidied up. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2016 09:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I doubt the OPs management has any real idea of what
they actually want...

You don't know her...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 15:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 13:52:45 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

1" planking will do just fine.

I'd use standard shelf brackets like these http://tinyurl.com/zmxuatm
sized to suit the width of shelf you're planning, screwed to the
framing timbers, so you'll need five off, and forget the rear shelf
support. Worked for me.

I used twinslot as it makes it easy to fiddle with the spacings

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2016 15:17, Tim Watts wrote:

I used twinslot as it makes it easy to fiddle with the spacings

And that's what I went for: thanks.

Easier to 'build' and I don't know why I didn't think of it in the first
place except I've been putting together too many wooden structures
recently so was in 'wood mode'.

Thanks, all, for the other suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/06/2016 19:23, ARW wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 13:52:45 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to
install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various
'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me
putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but
what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a
sag?

I'd use standard shelf brackets like these http://tinyurl.com/zmxuatm
sized to suit the width of shelf you're planning, screwed to the
framing timbers, so you'll need five off, and forget the rear shelf
support. Worked for me.

+1

Because I had some I used ply and cut in triangle shape, fixed these to
the verticals and sat shelf on top.