Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default timber size for quick free standing shelf frame

I want to put up a quick and cheap set of shelves over my desk, and
for various reasons I want them free-standing over the desk on legs.
I was thinking of something like a frame:

front view

|----------------------|
| |
|----------------------|
| |
| |
| desk sits in |
| here |
| |

(so there can't be long crosspieces at the bottom)
width about 1600mm

side view top view

|----| |--------------------|
| | | |
|----| | |
| | |--------------------|
| |
| |
| |
|----|
depth about 300mm

with the shelves themselves just being 6mm board nailed to the
crosspieces. Maximum load maybe 20kg per shelf, distributed.

What would be a suitable size/type of timber rod to use for such a
frame, that is readily available?

(I first thought of metal box tube construction systems, but that
would come out pretty expensive.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

Google for 'sagulator' to work out the section needed.
Assume your 6mm shelf will not contribute anything.
You will need something to stop it rocking from side to side or
'racking' as it is called.
A further piece of 6mm to form a back between the two shelves and nailed
into the rear vertical and horizontals will go a long way to reduce racking.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 1:35*pm, Julian Bradfield wrote:
I want to put up a quick and cheap set of shelves over my desk, and
for various reasons I want them free-standing over the desk on legs.
I was thinking of something like a frame:

front view

|----------------------|
| * * * * * * * * * * *|
|----------------------|
| * * * * * * * * * * *|
| * * * * * * * * * * *|
| * *desk sits in * * *|
| * * * here * * * * * |
| * * * * * * * * * * *|

(so there can't be long crosspieces at the bottom)
width about 1600mm

side view * * * * * * * *top view

|----| * * * * * * * * * |--------------------|
| * *| * * * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *|
|----| * * * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *|
| * *| * * * * * * * * * |--------------------|
| * *|
| * *|
| * *|
|----|
depth about 300mm

with the shelves themselves just being 6mm board nailed to the
crosspieces. Maximum load maybe 20kg per shelf, distributed.

What would be a suitable size/type of timber rod to use for such a
frame, that is readily available?

(I first thought of metal box tube construction systems, but that
would come out pretty expensive.)

2x2 is fine, I've made similar. Don't forget to stop it bending at the
joints though, by any of:
- fix to wall
- wood bracing, 3 large pieces or 8 small
- tough metal brackets

6mm and 20kg dont mix though. Even if you went as far as creating a
whole lattice of 2x2 under the 6mm it would still end up all wobbly.
For 20kg I'd look at 18mm chip, sat on an a 4 sided frame of 2x2. 12mm
would work, but might end up a bit sagged in time. If instead you use
timber planks, at that weight I'd ensure they're well attached to
their neighbours.

NT

Timber Frame Kit Abby Brown Home Repair 1 July 22nd 14 02:45 PM
Timber Frame Kit Abby Brown Woodworking 3 September 24th 09 03:44 AM
Dead Standing Timber THumphr Woodturning 10 March 8th 07 01:28 AM
Timber Frame Help Pat-UK Home Repair 1 October 25th 05 06:13 PM
Has anyone ever bought a timber frame selfbuilder UK diy 0 April 8th 05 05:58 PM