Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber for replacing garden table top

For several years we've had a garden table that consists of a metal
frame (which seems to be of high quality --- no signs of corrosion)
with a three-strip wooden top: solid down the sides, and with square
holes and tile inserts in the middle. We put a garden table cover
(box-shaped tarp, basically) over it for the first winter, and it
trapped humidity and made the top mouldy, so I sanded & varnished it,
& left it open the next winter. The side strips are still intact, but
the middle one (because of the inserts) has rotted through in places.

I thought the best material to use for a replacement top would be
decking boards, because the table sits on the deck which is about the
same age & in great condition, but the planning committee doesn't want
the table to look like some fool and/or cheapskate has covered it with
decking.

Suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 13:11, Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

New planning committee?

Decking board "wrong way up" which you can claim are special table top
material for cruise liners and Carribean beach tables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-01, newshound wrote:

[...]

I think we can "take that as read" on uk.d-i-y for many questions.
;-)

Decking board "wrong way up" which you can claim are special table top
material for cruise liners and Carribean beach tables.

Well, every decking board that I've seen is grooved differently on
both sides, but maybe I should investigate more timber suppliers to
see if there's something acceptable to both of us on weather-resistant
as well as aesthetic grounds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

[...]

In our local B&Q the other day, hardwood decking boards were half price and they might make a table
top more acceptable to the committee (upside down as suggested).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 1, 2012 3:18:07 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

The other option is unchopped selected oak firewood, if you've a saw big enough

NT