Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl offers

Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

A bit too late unfortunately, I restocked on cheap Stanley
knives from Toolstation a couple of weeks ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1489596 20160530 170410 "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 08:40, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1489596 20160530 170410 "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

Well they should fall as the Euro tanks.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1489596 20160530 170410 "Dave Plowman wrote:

Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

What will happen to Lidl& Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

They will come down as they are sourcing goods from China and food
prices are lower in the world market than in the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

Well they should fall as the Euro tanks.

The pound would plunge immediately after Brexit, due to uncertainty.
The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Lidl have a rather nice folding and locking knife which takes standard
Stanley blades for 4 quid. Doesn't look much in the pics - but is
beautifully made out of polished steel etc. Most of the retractable blade
types you can buy are crap in one way or another.

Also re-usable cable ties.

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

Nothing, there are plenty of their stores outside the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

Well they should fall as the Euro tanks.

The pound would plunge immediately after Brexit, due to uncertainty.

Fantasy. There is no uncertainty, it is completely clear that Britain
is free to trade with anyone it likes under the WTO rules if the EU
is actually stupid enough to demand something that Britain does
not find acceptable in a trade agreement and will do fine that way.

The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

That prediction is straight from your arse, we can tell from the smell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

What will happen to Lidl& Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

They will come down as they are sourcing goods from China and food
prices are lower in the world market than in the EU.

There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.
The price of these goods will go up sharply after Brexit,
as the pound will plunge against the dollar.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.

It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote
Capitol wrote

What will happen to Lidl& Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

They will come down as they are sourcing goods from China
and food prices are lower in the world market than in the EU.

There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now

But it may well be cheaper to get them from the EU.

- which I'm sure it does do anyway.

They don't with the bulk of the food they sell.

The price of these goods will go up sharply after
Brexit, as the pound will plunge against the dollar.

BULL****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.

It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

I have no experience of supplying them with power tools but I do know
they they (and Aldi) buy stationery products from UK suppliers.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German origin -
including this knife.

Which could just mean they order a box of blades from China and a box of
handles from India and screw them together in Germany

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.

It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

I have no experience of supplying them with power tools but I do know
they they (and Aldi) buy stationery products from UK suppliers.

Interesting. They can then source and sell UK made products etc in the UK
at a good price - but the general view is 'we' can't compete with the low
labour rates and lack of regulations and so on the far east benefits from.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) a écrit :
It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

They would seem to be mostly from former east German companies, but
likely originally sourced from China.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 10:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What will happen to Lidl & Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

Well they should fall as the Euro tanks.

The pound would plunge immediately after Brexit, due to uncertainty.
The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

The Euro would plunge immediately after Brexit, due to uncertainty.
The pound would surge against the dollar, but not by so much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 11:11, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Capitol wrote:

What will happen to Lidl& Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

They will come down as they are sourcing goods from China and food
prices are lower in the world market than in the EU.

There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.
The price of these goods will go up sharply after Brexit,
as the pound will plunge against the dollar.

So much for 'the uncertainty of brexit' That seems very certain, in your
eyes... one is reminded of 'the science is settled, but we need a
another trillion dollars for scientific research' from the 'Climb-it'
community.

Of course the answer is that actually no one knows. New Zealand lamb
will probably come down, and, as the Euro tanks, a lot of European
produce too.

African food will be cheaper too. Once we are free to trade outside the
close EU markets with their tariff barriers to protect the French and
East European agricultural sectors.

With luck brexit will break up the EU and everything will get cheaper as
European countries have to either lower their currency valuations, or
get more efficient to compete in a free world market, rather than being
protected by EU tariffs and subsidies

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.

It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

I have no experience of supplying them with power tools but I do know
they they (and Aldi) buy stationery products from UK suppliers.

Interesting. They can then source and sell UK made products etc in the UK
at a good price - but the general view is 'we' can't compete with the low
labour rates and lack of regulations and so on the far east benefits from.

I said they buy from UK suppliers. Not UK manufacturers!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 12:44, Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
[...]

And of course Plow**** has made the point that is exactly true. All that
more regulations and more minimum wages 'to protect the wurkahs in the
burkahs' does is drive labour intensive manufacturing and jobs to places
where they have slave labour and neo communist governments.

And what's left is capital intensive manufacturing, and no jobs at all
for Wurkahs.

If a machine can do it cheaper than a lefty****, whop wants to employ one?

Naturally their only hope is to get a make work job in the public sector.

Naturally they vote for the biggest public sector possible, which is the EU.

BUT in the end the EU itself is not rich enough to keep them in bacon
butties. So they end up worse off than ever when the state sector runs
out of other people's money.

The only way the thing will resolve itself is probably the death of 40%
of Europe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

What will happen to Lidl& Aldi prices if we leave the EU? ;-)

They will come down as they are sourcing goods from China and
food
prices are lower in the world market than in the EU.

There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now - which
I'm sure it does do anyway.
The price of these goods will go up sharply after Brexit, as the pound
will plunge against the dollar.

So much for 'the uncertainty of brexit' That seems very certain, in your
eyes... one is reminded of 'the science is settled, but we need a another
trillion dollars for scientific research' from the 'Climb-it' community.

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

Of course the answer is that actually no one knows. New Zealand lamb will
probably come down, and, as the Euro tanks, a lot of European produce too.

African food will be cheaper too. Once we are free to trade outside the
close EU markets with their tariff barriers to protect the French and East
European agricultural sectors.

With luck brexit will break up the EU and everything will get cheaper as
European countries have to either lower their currency valuations, or get
more efficient to compete in a free world market, rather than being
protected by EU tariffs and subsidies

It seems the EU will not need out help to break up. France & Italy could
be the next European economies to crash. As they are denied the option of
devaluation, both countries have relied on debt-funded public spending to
maintain economic activity and living standards.
They both share problems of slow growth, unemployment, poor public
finances and structural problems. They have found it difficult to reform
and face an increasingly tough political environment.
But the /real/ problem is the lack of competitiveness, and
underlying many of these problems is the single currency.

--
The New European Soviet - Mikhail Gorbachev
http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/globa.../soviet-eu.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2016 10:54, Rod Speed wrote:

Fantasy. There is no uncertainty, it is completely clear that Britain
is free to trade with anyone it likes under the WTO rules if the EU
is actually stupid enough to demand something that Britain does
not find acceptable in a trade agreement and will do fine that way.
The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

The UK is already free to trade with anyone, however it won't get any
contracts with the EU countries for anything they can source internally
if we exit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 13:02, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/05/2016 10:54, Rod Speed wrote:

Fantasy. There is no uncertainty, it is completely clear that Britain
is free to trade with anyone it likes under the WTO rules if the EU
is actually stupid enough to demand something that Britain does
not find acceptable in a trade agreement and will do fine that way.
The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

The UK is already free to trade with anyone, however *it won't get any
contracts with the EU countries* for anything they can source internally
if we exit.

So you are admitting that the EU is a juvenile dog in the manger
protectionist organisation that is inward looking and unable to compete
in world markets on equal terms, then, dennis?

Why would you want to be part of it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 11:44:06 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
There is nothing to prevent Lidl purchasing goods from China now -
which I'm sure it does do anyway.

It's a good point. Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German
origin - including this knife. Even on the knife itself.

And their power tools - or rather those I've checked on.

Now given they seem to be as good as any at the budget end and no more
expensive, either they're not made in Germany, or it is possible to
compete with the Chinese with such things.

The sliding mitre saw gives a german name, Walter Werkzeug iirc, but is still made in China.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interesting. They can then source and sell UK made products etc in the UK
at a good price - but the general view is 'we' can't compete with the low
labour rates and lack of regulations and so on the far east benefits from.

The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Barclay wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

That is true.
But the standard of living in the UK will fall.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 14:25, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Martin Barclay wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

That is true.
But the standard of living in the UK will fall.

Uk standard of living will of course rise!

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German origin -
including this knife.

Which could just mean they order a box of blades from China and a box of
handles from India and screw them together in Germany

Point taken, but it's not that sort of knife. Which is why I mentioned it.
Most retractable types can't take much in the way of force without the
blade moving or even pulling out. You needed a fixed type for this - and
come form of cover. This one looks like it get rounds this.

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have changed a
bit since then.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Most of the Lidl tools are marked as being of German origin -
including this knife.

Which could just mean they order a box of blades from China and a box of
handles from India and screw them together in Germany

Point taken, but it's not that sort of knife. Which is why I mentioned it.

No, just an example.

Most retractable types can't take much in the way of force without the
blade moving or even pulling out. You needed a fixed type for this - and
come form of cover. This one looks like it get rounds this.

I have (had? not seen it for a year or two) one of those knives from a
previous time they were on sale, quite well made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 13:02, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/05/2016 10:54, Rod Speed wrote:

Fantasy. There is no uncertainty, it is completely clear that Britain
is free to trade with anyone it likes under the WTO rules if the EU
is actually stupid enough to demand something that Britain does
not find acceptable in a trade agreement and will do fine that way.
The euro would also fall against the dollar, but not by so much.

The UK is already free to trade with anyone, however *it won't get any
contracts with the EU countries* for anything they can source internally
if we exit.

So you are admitting that the EU is a juvenile dog in the manger
protectionist organisation that is inward looking and unable to compete
in world markets on equal terms, then, dennis?

Why would you want to be part of it?

I haven't said what I will vote.
However you are having a strong influence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
The sliding mitre saw gives a german name, Walter Werkzeug iirc,
but is still made in China.

Flipping cheek!

Reminds me of a documentary I saw in which surgical instruments was
marked as "Made In Germany" despite being made in Pakistan and only
finished off in Germany.

The documentary focussed on the fact that the Germans were actually
doing nothing to the items and the surgical instruments were wholly
made in Pakistan but marked as German made.

The documentary highlighted the inevitable quality control problems
with distinctly substandard equipment, such as forceps, being
supplied by this route and getting using in NHS surgical operations.

Then it is the fault of the claimed maker for not enforcing quality
control. No product is ever 100% perfect on leaving the production line or
whatever. Some form of testing and inspection is always required.
The maker went to Pakistan or wherever because they could get a good
product at a better price. Thus maximising their profits. But they are the
ones responsible for the end quality - not the factory, no matter where it
is.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2016 13:01, Martin Barclay wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

Only if we don't have to pay more for the stuff to make them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have changed a
bit since then.

But we didn't lose stuff like motorcycle manufacturing and car
manufacturing because of hanging slaves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 15:14, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Well all you are doing is confirming my belief that the remainers are by
and large stupid parasitic public sector useful idiots who pretend the
EU isn't doing what the facts say it is.

And pretend that it would do things to Britain that it wouldn't dare do
to any other country, if we were to leave.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 15:16, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/05/2016 13:01, Martin Barclay wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

Only if we don't have to pay more for the stuff to make them.

I see the concept of 'value added' has completely passed you by.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 15:25, dennis@home wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have changed a
bit since then.

But we didn't lose stuff like motorcycle manufacturing and car
manufacturing because of hanging slaves.

I am sure Plowperson will tell you that you are completely wrong, and
once the capitalists and their lackeys were unable to hang slaves in
Britain, they all went somewhere else where they could.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 15:16, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/05/2016 13:01, Martin Barclay wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will
become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

Only if we don't have to pay more for the stuff to make them.

I see the concept of 'value added' has completely passed you by.

You get less for it when you sell it and it costs you more to make, has
that passed you by?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Are you a linux fanatic too?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have
changed a bit since then.

But we didn't lose stuff like motorcycle manufacturing and car
manufacturing because of hanging slaves.

We lost both because those industries didn't invest enough in decent new
product. They thought everyone would keep on buying BSA or MG just because
of the name. And they were very wrong.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
The items they sell cheap tend to be stuff that isn't built by hand.
We can in general compete with china on stuff that is built by robots
(as long as the unions aren't demanding one robot + one man which they
have been known to do).

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have
changed a bit since then.

But we didn't lose stuff like motorcycle manufacturing and car
manufacturing because of hanging slaves.

We lost both because those industries didn't invest enough in decent new
product. They thought everyone would keep on buying BSA or MG just because
of the name. And they were very wrong.

Its difficult to invest in better manufacturing when the unions insist
on the same manning levels on a machine that needs no manning.