Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy a white, UPVC version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length forattaching roof guttering to)

Does anyone know where can I buy white, plastic version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length)?

I was going to use tanalized timber, but some of you recommended using UPVC.

All I can find is 10mm x 100mm UPVC facia. If all else fails, I suppose I could sandwich two lengths of this together with silicone sealant, but it seems like a bit of a lash-up.

Many thanks,
JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2016 17:47, wrote:
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:34:42 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know where can I buy white, plastic version of 4" x 1"
timber (5M length)?

I was going to use tanalized timber, but some of you recommended
using UPVC.

All I can find is 10mm x 100mm UPVC facia. If all else fails, I
suppose I could sandwich two lengths of this together with silicone
sealant, but it seems like a bit of a lash-up.

Just use the piece mentioned above, it doesn't have to be 25mm thick.
If you feel it needs to come out further so the roof drips into the gutter,
just put a packer on the joist ends and affix the upvc to this, 2X1 batten
top and bottom is the norm

Hi Phil,
It's not like the usual setup that you are probably envisaging. This is a 19th century house and the facia is fixed to the top of the house's wall. The tiles project slightly, but there is no modern-style soffit. The stuff I need needs to be 1" thick, approx, because that's how thick it is on the adjoining house, and the guttering goes all the way along my house and the adjoining house. On the adjoining house, they used plastic 4" x 1", but nobody knows who installed it, so can't ask where it was obtained.
JD

I've replaced wood with uPVC on a Victorian terrace and you can't see
from the ground the difference from the nominal 1" wood the on the
neighbour's house.

I had to hunt around for boards designed to fit flush but found some in
the end. That avoided the need to trim the bit at the bottom where most
modern boards are L-shaped designed to take a soffit. (You can also get
flush boards in black with a grain effect which I think looks better on
Victorian houses but each to their own. And so far - after 5 years -
we've not suffered any noise or other effects from thermal expansion
despite one length getting the full morning sun.)

See eg
http://www.meridianbp.co.uk/index.ph...hite-1788.html

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 14:54:44 UTC+1, wrote:
Does anyone know where can I buy white, plastic version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length)?

I was going to use tanalized timber, but some of you recommended using UPVC.

All I can find is 10mm x 100mm UPVC facia. If all else fails, I suppose I could sandwich two lengths of this together with silicone sealant, but it seems like a bit of a lash-up.

Many thanks,
JD

This is the stuff you want. You can also get 150mm and 200mm wide.
There are special joining pieces that are virtually invisible behind the gutter. Also corners.
Also stainless steel nails with matching plastic covered heads.
Quick, light and easy to install, joints are covered by the joining pieces and don't have to be accurate.
You can get white, brown and black colours.
Most people go for the white, cheapest and easiest to get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Does anyone know where can I buy white, plastic version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length)?

http://www.swishbp.co.uk/products/fascias/jumbo-fascias

You'd have to buy the 6"x1" and cut it down to 4"