Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Unstored" timber? "VTHS"?

One of the timber merchants local to me recommended in one of my other
threads (Where to buy timber?) is the East Kent Timber Company, just outside
Canterbury. Their website is at http://www.eastkenttimber.co.uk/ .

On the page devoted to Quality Softwood Joinery the timber is classified as
two types: UNSTORED and VTHS. A bit of Googling suggests that the latter is
actually "Vths" (ie 5ths or fifths) though I've not been able to find out
exactly what that means as yet - but UNSTORED has me baffled, unless - and
I've only just this moment thought of this - it means that they don't keep
it in stock but have to get it in specially. Since the very same page talks
about their "extensive stocks" this seems a tad unlikely.

I'd appreciate a translation of both terms. Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
One of the timber merchants local to me recommended in one of my other
threads (Where to buy timber?) is the East Kent Timber Company, just
outside Canterbury. Their website is at http://www.eastkenttimber.co.uk/ .

On the page devoted to Quality Softwood Joinery the timber is classified
as two types: UNSTORED and VTHS. A bit of Googling suggests that the
latter is actually "Vths" (ie 5ths or fifths) though I've not been able
to find out exactly what that means as yet - but UNSTORED has me
baffled, unless - and I've only just this moment thought of this - it
means that they don't keep it in stock but have to get it in specially.
Since the very same page talks about their "extensive stocks" this seems
a tad unlikely.

I'd appreciate a translation of both terms. Many thanks.

Bert

Try this http://idostuff.co.uk/sections/DIY/Timber selection 1.html
and following pages

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob,

So UNSTORED is actually a mistype for UNSORTED. Good grief. And in the
case of that particular yard, the sizes I'm after (75x100mm and 75x150mm)
are only available as unsorted.

Thanks for your help.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2011 21:12, Bert Coules wrote:
Bob,

So UNSTORED is actually a mistype for UNSORTED. Good grief. And in the
case of that particular yard, the sizes I'm after (75x100mm and
75x150mm) are only available as unsorted.

Thanks for your help.

Bert

And none of it means anything if you don't know where the timber comes
from, an Upper Gulf 5th often being superior to a Lower Gulf unsorted.
The "shipping marks", printed in red on the end grain should tell the
whole story, but there is no official guide to allow you to decipher them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

And none of it means anything if you don't know
where the timber comes from...

The site I've been looking at doesn't go into details.

... an Upper Gulf 5th often being superior to a Lower Gulf unsorted.

Ah, I had the wrong wrong idea about that: I thought that any graded timber
was automatically superior to any unsorted.

Thanks for the reply.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 11:36*am, "Bert Coules" wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
And none of it means anything if you don't know
where the timber comes from...

The site I've been looking at doesn't go into details.

... an Upper Gulf 5th often being superior to a Lower Gulf unsorted.

Ah, I had the wrong wrong idea about that: I thought that any graded timber
was automatically superior to any unsorted.

Thanks for the reply.

Bert

It is graded - 4ths or better, it is just unsorted between those
grades (which are never - or at least practically never - sold as
individual grades).